Sponsored by:

Cayman to Carrera Logistics

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWF
I think we are around 7% in Texas. I guess where a trade in becomes complicated is when you have located your new vehicle out of state.
6.25%
Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by stevepow
Same here in GA (we only pay tax on the "beyond trade" balance)- I have only had a few times where private sale turned out to be a benefit - most times just a hassle for break-even results. If I trade in a car worth $50K, I save $3500 tax (7%) - Atlanta City residents save $4000 (8%).
This kind of thing makes me so angry; corporations using lobbying to create a law structure that screws over consumers. They're created a false strong incentive to trade in through dealers rather than the private market. Grrr.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM
cbzzoom

OP, you could try "Switchcars".

It's also possible to find used car dealers who will act as a broker for you. That is, you find the private car that you want to get, and then the dealer actually buys it for you, then you trade in your car to the dealer and pay them $1k extra or so for doing that. Even though the fee is outrageous, you are better off because you get to trade in your old car and get the deduction.

But realistically a normal dealer is the best way to go when you consider the value of time.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
From the loaners I have had:
- the Cayman feels lighter, nimbler, more responsive, and less harsh of a ride
- the Carrera feels heavier, more solid, more powerful
- and for God's sake get the Bose sound, weak as it is - in comparison, that normal system is just about horrible unless you just don't plan to use it for anything beyond talk radio. It is embarrassing that Porsche would put anything like that in a car - it's worse than my 1981 Corolla was and my '85 325e was miles better with the stock BMW radio - the PAG system must be worth about $50.

I have had two Cayman loaners and a Boxster - so that's not loads of experience, but the Boxster was a blast!

Net Net - I'd say there is notable difference in the driving feel of these cars.
Interesting your thoughts on the Cayman having a less harsh ride. I would have guessed otherwise. I suppose I need to see if the dealer has a 997 I can drive. I had one as a loaner for a short period but not much time to really focus on the differences. It's been a while but I do recall that it felt less nimble and overall just "bigger". I hear you on the sound system. My Cayman has the base system and it really is pretty bad. In regards to convenience electronics my Cayman is pretty lacking for a vehicle in that price range. Even my eleven year old base Tahoe has "automatic on" headlights!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
OP, you could try "Switchcars".

It's also possible to find used car dealers who will act as a broker for you. That is, you find the private car that you want to get, and then the dealer actually buys it for you, then you trade in your car to the dealer and pay them $1k extra or so for doing that. Even though the fee is outrageous, you are better off because you get to trade in your old car and get the deduction.

But realistically a normal dealer is the best way to go when you consider the value of time.
All great ideas guys. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't had a Cayman, but I did have a Boxster S with the 19" wheels and I would say that the ride was equally as harsh as the 997S.

There is a noticeable difference in driving characteristics between the two cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 997S. I have a young family now and it just works better...but I miss the hell out of my 987S.

I'd suggest going and driving a 997 and see how you like it. That will be the final say I would think.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I found my new car, bought, then listed the old one, sold it
Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I haven't had a Cayman, but I did have a Boxster S with the 19" wheels and I would say that the ride was equally as harsh as the 997S.

There is a noticeable difference in driving characteristics between the two cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 997S. I have a young family now and it just works better...but I miss the hell out of my 987S.

I'd suggest going and driving a 997 and see how you like it. That will be the final say I would think.
In regards to space for people this is not an issue for me with the Cayman. I don't think there have been more than two people in it since I bought it over a year ago. Very interesting the comments on ride harshness. I always just assumed the 997 was going to have a less stiff ride given the size and weight. Very helpful information.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel as though my Boxster S had a more harsh ride than my 997S.
The 19" wheels on Boxster/Caymans are very similar in ratios to the 997s. (same front size and 265/35 vs 295/30 rear).
My 987S didn't have PASM. I think that helps.

Many of the Boxster/Caymans don't have 19's though. In fact many have 17's. This would certainly make the ride less harsh.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I feel as though my Boxster S had a more harsh ride than my 997S.
The 19" wheels on Boxster/Caymans are very similar in ratios to the 997s. (same front size and 265/35 vs 295/30 rear).
My 987S didn't have PASM. I think that helps.

Many of the Boxster/Caymans don't have 19's though. In fact many have 17's. This would certainly make the ride less harsh.
Mine has 17's. The dealer offered to swap them out for 18's when I bought the car and after considerable thought I decided to stay with the 17's for a better ride. Without a reference point it still seems pretty harsh on bad roads to me.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:20 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I went out of state to find the exact p-car I wanted at a price I could afford... saved over $10K+ too on a CPO'd '08 C2S compared to what I could find here. I sold my old m3 locally in TX and bought my p-car from CA. If you end up buying from another state... make sure to compare the tax rates, google the tax/transfer rules, and pay/register the car in the lower tax rate state. TX tax was lower in my case so I opt'd not to pay CA tax. I registered/paid TX the 6.25% when it got here and I had rec'd the title from the CA p-dealer. BTW, the CA p-dealer did charge $40 for doc's which is normal. I did a total cost comparison and I'm so glad I did not let the tax exchange benefits cloud things... the bottomline is price(after all things consider) and getting what you want.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
This kind of thing makes me so angry; corporations using lobbying to create a law structure that screws over consumers. They're created a false strong incentive to trade in through dealers rather than the private market. Grrr.
This is a good thing, if anything - in some states you don't get this benefit and pay full tax either way. There's no false incentive - it's just a matter of the math - run the numbers and make the best deal, but the tax break can make trading easier.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I had an 09 Cayman S PDK and now have an 09 997.2S 6 speed. The Cayman was great car. It was more forgiving when being pushed hard than the 997. However, I still like the feel of the 911. As far as interior space goes there is more in the 997 but the hatch on the Cayman made some items easier to carry like dry cleaning.

If I were to do pick one again today it would be the 997.2S.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I went out of state to find the exact p-car I wanted at a price I could afford... saved over $10K+ too on a CPO'd '08 C2S compared to what I could find here. I sold my old m3 locally in TX and bought my p-car from CA. If you end up buying from another state... make sure to compare the tax rates, google the tax/transfer rules, and pay/register the car in the lower tax rate state. TX tax was lower in my case so I opt'd not to pay CA tax. I registered/paid TX the 6.25% when it got here and I had rec'd the title from the CA p-dealer. BTW, the CA p-dealer did charge $40 for doc's which is normal. I did a total cost comparison and I'm so glad I did not let the tax exchange benefits cloud things... the bottomline is price(after all things consider) and getting what you want.
Did you buy your car unseen from the dealer in Calif.?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I had a 2010 Cayman S loaner for a day and was very impressed by its ride and handling, if not its build quality. Every time I road over some pavement imperfection, there was a loud squeaky noise coming from my left.

Don't forget about the significant blind spot over the drivers' right shoulder in the Cayman S which the 911 mercifully doesn't have.

"My" Cayman S had the PDK and I liked it, but there was a noticeable decline in power coming from my 911.

Quick Reply: Cayman to Carrera Logistics