Sponsored by:

maintenance at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM
shanson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance at dealer

ok, so took in my 2007 with 15k miles and they said I should change the brake fluid as well as the tire sensors...

I went ahead and had them do the brake fluid ($200+) but they qouted me $1,300 for the tire sensors. They reminded me that while the price was high, there was a lot of labor involved.

So....I have a nissan 350z with tire sensors that i preorder in 2002 and still have it and it has tire sensors...but never in the last 8 years have I had any problem or any dealer telling me i should replace them...

Do I have an "over-eager" dealer or is this just par for the course?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

You were overcharged.

I have a 2010 BMW as a DD.

Bought a second set of rims/tires for the summer - TPM not included.

Deat want $900 to install TPMs.

Bought them from Tire Rack and had a local tire shop install them (total cost was $360).

Dealers have more overhead, but also charge alot more.

Also, the convenience of a dealer costs $
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
shanson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to be clear, i didn't go ahead with the $1,300 new monitors....i thought to myself that I could stop every day and "sqeeze" the tires personally to make sure they were properly inflated....
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Sunset Porsche sells the OEM sensors for under $500 shipped. They some times come up for sale on RL

Last edited by fjpdds; 04-28-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add word
Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm confused. Was there something wrong with one or more of your TPMS sensors or the TPMS system itself? They don't normally "wear out".
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years at latest.

TPMS? that shouldn't need replacing I would think. That part seems shady. Even if failed, i would think this to be a warranty item.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years at latest.

TPMS? that shouldn't need replacing I would think. That part seems shady. Even if failed, i would think this to be a warranty item.
Do not remember my source of this but I believe the tire sensors are not warranty parts.

They don't 'fail' but the battery goes dead. This is not considered a failure covered by warranty but a wear item that is not covered.

The units do not have a servicable battery so replacement is the only fix.

There is the cost of the hardware and then there is the cost of removing the wheels, then the tires, removing the old sensors, installing the new sensors, and remounting and balancing the tires and then the test to ensure the new sensors work right. This might require the PIWIS computer system be connected to recalibrate the new sensors, etc.

$1200 is high no argument from me but with all of the above labor and the labor rates dealers charge nowadays and the parts prices dealers charge... $1200 is about right.

I have not yet owned a car with a TPMS (well, for long anyhow) but if I did one thought is to when replacing the tires replace the sensors. Maybe not every tire change. For instance, I go through 2 sets of rear tires for every set of front tires. So from new the car goes 15K miles and then new tires are installed. TPMS not touched. Then 15K miles later both the rear and front tires are replaced. At this time I might be tempted to have the TMPS devices renewed. The wheels are off the car, and the tires are off the wheels and the tires/wheels have to be balanced anyhow so one is looking at just the TPMS parts cost and the dealer might (I said might) eat the labor cost of installing the TMPS devices.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
I'm confused. Was there something wrong with one or more of your TPMS sensors or the TPMS system itself? They don't normally "wear out".
The batteries die. Mine went in my 06 about 6 months ago. I had just put new tires on so I just left the dead ones in until I need new tires.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1200 seems like a bit of a rip-off really - not saying that the labor isn't there, but that sure is a stupid way to have to spend $1200!!!
When (as it seems more of a "when" than an "if") it happens, is there anything that would prevent from simply using a digital pressure gauge?
The cost is roughly $25 (?) or so and I check them manually anyway every now and then as it seems a bit more accurate.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have an extra set of TPMS senders (that go in the wheels) for another set of wheels I hope to get someday. I'm still on my original TPMS sensors in my June 2006 delivery 997S. I live in a temperate climate so I probably am getting really good mileage on the original sensors. The originals are still working fine--knock on wood!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the non-OEM versions from tire rack when I bought winter tires last winter, to mount on the 18" wheels I bought here from a fellow RL. These worked as well as the ones that came with the car, to my observing. The sensors calibrated in a couple of miles after telling the car it had winter wheels, the worked great mid-Dec through mid-Mar.

YMMV, but they were $400 for the set, no extra charge to install with the tire install on the wheels at the local Mr. Tire.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Spectro28; 04-29-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectro28
no extra charge to install with the tire install on the wheels at the local Mr. Tire.

Cheers,
Marc

oh man, cost to the OP is not only ridiculous but somewhat offensive. a year ago my local tire guy got a set for me ($5 cheaper a corner than i could on the street, btw) and charged me nothing to install since i was getting tires at the same time.

look, i know dealers are in business to make $, and that it's almost a given nowadays that they run anywhere from 20-40% higher in parts/labor than can be found at an indy shop but...this once again goes to show you how it can almost be considered "predatory" practice ? on those who arent intimately knowledgable about their car and how much things are supposed to cost. a year ago i remember researching - and even posting on here - after the dealer quoted me over $100 to simply "calibrate the new sensors" (i.e. meaning pushing the TPMS set option, driving around for 10 mins). are you KIDDING me.

annnnnnnd done with rant.

Quick Reply: maintenance at dealer