Carrera Classic wheels on Ebay...your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
mihink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera Classic wheels on Ebay...your thoughts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-8-...item3364f4c266

Was looking for carrera classics for my 997 C2S..found these replicas on Ebay. Anyone buy from them before? Price is really good...just wondering about quality/weight of the rims.
Help me out fellas TIA
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Slippery slope
Intermediate

Not sure if you require new rims. If not, you may want to consider a set of used OEM rims, as they are known to be strong. I bought a set of 4 in excellent condition with tires (old tires, but usable for a while) for $1200.

No affiliation with any vendor
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

DO NOT BUY REPLICA!

You can find used OEM wheels at the same price or maybe even cheaper. Why would you even consider replica?!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 AM
mihink
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slippery slope
Not sure if you require new rims. If not, you may want to consider a set of used OEM rims, as they are known to be strong. I bought a set of 4 in excellent condition with tires (old tires, but usable for a while) for $1200.

No affiliation with any vendor
Please tell me which vendor was selling at that price.

I guess replicas may not be a good idea, uncertain quality,weight,etc. But I have an e46 m3 and there are quality replicas for the CSL wheels on the market that many people use without issues??

Anyways...I'll keep looking for a nice used set. Anyone selling? $$$ in hand and I can guarantee you a hassle free transaction. Please contact me. I reside in MD/DC area, but willing to travel for a nice set. TIA.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Just keep in mind that the replicas are most likely produced in China by anyone with a furnace. Pressure cast wheels are the easiest to copy, and that is why the aftermarket world is soaring. Porsche moved to largely pressure cast wheels because of the economy of them--vastly cheaper to produce and put on the vast majority of their cars. While most of these aftermarket wheels will probably be alright, keep in mind that you are driving a Porsche and the stresses that you can exert upon these wheels is something that not everyone accounts for (even if they are copying a Porsche wheel). Wheels are an integral part of the automobile--the only points between you and the roadway. If one becomes compromised at a bad time things can happen quickly, and not always with a happy ending.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, keep in mind that the vendor may be using stock photos and in some cases could be photos of oem wheels. There may be flaws/uneven surfaces in the paint that won't show until you open the boxes.

For a few hundred more, you can get a set of near-mint oem Classics from Wheel Enhancement for instance.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 PM
mihink
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave I
Also, keep in mind that the vendor may be using stock photos and in some cases could be photos of oem wheels. There may be flaws/uneven surfaces in the paint that won't show until you open the boxes.

For a few hundred more, you can get a set of near-mint oem Classics from Wheel Enhancement for instance.
I called wheel enhancement..their price for a set of 4 used CC wheels for 997NB fitment is $2400 + shipping ..that's a lot of money compared to the Ebay wheels.
I was also looking at RUF replica wheels from a well known sponsor on 6speedonline for about a $1000 shipped. Not a bad deal, but the wheels are designed for widebody offsets..I don't know how they would look a "normal" C2S like my car. I don't want to use spacers(had bad experience on other cars).

Anyone have pics of 19" RUF wheels or OEM Porsche wheels with widebody offsets on a narrow body 997.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if they are still available or not, but Bluegrass Porsche had an OEM set of these for $1600 they the let me know about:

Bluegrass Porsche
4720 Bowling Boulevard
Louisville, KY 40207
(502) 894-3428

rjuanso@bluegrassauto.com
http://porsche.bluegrassauto.com
Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 PM
mihink
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
Don't know if they are still available or not, but Bluegrass Porsche had an OEM set of these for $1600 they the let me know about:

Bluegrass Porsche
4720 Bowling Boulevard
Louisville, KY 40207
(502) 894-3428

rjuanso@bluegrassauto.com
http://porsche.bluegrassauto.com
Just called them....wheels sold. Thanks for looking for me!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So close! Just stay patient and keep a stack of hundreds handy.

I was wheel searching up until last week when a set of black powder coated 19" Sport Designs with Pilot Sports fell in my lap for $1600.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
mihink
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
So close! Just stay patient and keep a stack of hundreds handy.

I was wheel searching up until last week when a set of black powder coated 19" Sport Designs with Pilot Sports fell in my lap for $1600.
You got lucky! I had the Carrera Classics on my cayman...just loved the design. Still debating them and the RUF wheels...I think the RUF wheels look outstanding as well, just have to see them in real life to make the decision
Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Just have patience and look around. I found many OEM wheels on eBay in the past... they come by quite often. As said before, it's not wise to have replica's on a Porsche, and WHY would you?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgeline is doing a group buy, it's around $1,500/set, I'm not allowed to post price over the other forum.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM
mihink
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ynot
Forgeline is doing a group buy, it's around $1,500/set, I'm not allowed to post price over the other forum.
Yeah...but those wheels are NOT hubentric and require different bolts/etc. for Porsche application. Members on the other forums with these wheels have had vibration/balancing issues after purchase -> do not want.

Will keep looking for now. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Slippery slope
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mihink
Please tell me which vendor was selling at that price.

I guess replicas may not be a good idea, uncertain quality,weight,etc. But I have an e46 m3 and there are quality replicas for the CSL wheels on the market that many people use without issues??

Anyways...I'll keep looking for a nice used set. Anyone selling? $$$ in hand and I can guarantee you a hassle free transaction. Please contact me. I reside in MD/DC area, but willing to travel for a nice set. TIA.
I cannot remember the vendor other than they were in Florida. In any case they only had one set. IIRC I posted on `Wanted to Buy` forum, and I checked Panorama and my local PCA chapter. Good luck, I think you`ll be able to find a good deal if you look around, many people like to upgrade, and then get rid of their OEM rims for a reasonabe price.

Quick Reply: Carrera Classic wheels on Ebay...your thoughts