Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessing the rear deck lid courtesy bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:08 AM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Accessing the rear deck lid courtesy bulb?

I'm interested in removing the courtesy bulb under the rear engine lid on an '09/997.2. The plastic bulb housing is attached to the fan.

Does anyone know how to most easily access the bulb? No luck searching the archives.

After returning to homde on hot days I like to open the rear engine lid to help cool the engine and would rather not have the light on.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Check your owners manual; if there is a bulb in the car that may need replacement, the manual will tell you how.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ricm
I'm interested in removing the courtesy bulb under the rear engine lid on an '09/997.2. The plastic bulb housing is attached to the fan.

Does anyone know how to most easily access the bulb? No luck searching the archives.

After returning to homde on hot days I like to open the rear engine lid to help cool the engine and would rather not have the light on.

Thanks.
Bulb turns off after 2 hours.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Just looking at it, it appears the fan assembly needs to be removed to get to the bulb. It should be relatively straightforward, with just 3 bolts to remove. Of course it's not an easy out/easy in solution so once the bulb is taken out you'll probably want to leave it out.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

If you remove the bulb permanently there is a good chance that the car will tell you (repeatedly) that you have a bulb out. That would be a bigger pain than to just leave that little thing open.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you remove the bulb permanently there is a good chance that the car will tell you (repeatedly) that you have a bulb out. That would be a bigger pain than to just leave that little thing open.
Possible, although I've removed the bulb from the frunk because I leave the lid ajar for my CTEK battery maintainer lead and I don't get a bulb warning. I don't think that random interior bulbs, as opposed to tail lights, stop lights, etc. are part of the bulb "warning system".
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Possible, although I've removed the bulb from the frunk because I leave the lid ajar for my CTEK battery maintainer lead and I don't get a bulb warning. I don't think that random interior bulbs, as opposed to tail lights, stop lights, etc. are part of the bulb "warning system".
As I mentioned earlier, the light (trunk or engine compartment) turns off after 2 hours (sooner if you lock/arm the car).
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
As I mentioned earlier, the light (trunk or engine compartment) turns off after 2 hours (sooner if you lock/arm the car).
Noted; I knew that. Especially before I got the maintainer I left the hood ajar because I was always going in and out to remove/store my car cover. I didn't want the light on even for 2 hours every time I left the car.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 AM
ricm
Instructor

I checked my manual and there's no mention of changing the deck lid light.

And I thought that there's was a more elegant, straight forward access to the bulb rather than removing the entire fan assembly?

I noticed that the bulb does extinguish after prolonged periods (not sure if it was 2 hours) but I really don't want it to burn unnecessarily.

I'll call my service rep tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I checked my manual and there's no mention of changing the deck lid light.

And I thought that there's was a more elegant, straight forward access to the bulb rather than removing the entire fan assembly?

I noticed that the bulb does extinguish after prolonged periods (not sure if it was 2 hours) but I really don't want it to burn unnecessarily.

I'll call my service rep tomorrow. Thanks.
Since the bulb housing is molded to the fan assembly, I don't see any way to get to the bulb without removing the whole thing. If your tech has a different method please post it. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

I was actually considering removing the bulb myself. I too open the engine lid after a good drive or a hot day.

It's probably less of an issue on the Porsche but on my 360 it was almost mandatory. (Even with the challenge grill) After parking up the car and raising the rear lid the whole garage would be 100+ degrees. However little it helps on the Porsche it still makes me feel better.

I'll go play around in the garage and see if it's a big deal to remove the bulb.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry this probably isn't much help as I just realized you had a 997.2.

I just went out on my 06 and simply popped out the little lamp and removed the bulb. No error lights or anything and can easily be put back in if need be. I won't feel bad about leaving the lid open in the garage any longer.

Have a go at those three bolts though in your picture. It surely looks easy enough.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by AWay
Have a go at those three bolts though in your picture. It surely looks easy enough.
The OP was the one who wanted to remove the bulb, but I agree with you completely; removing those three bolts looks pretty simple.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 AM
ricm
Instructor

My dealer suggested using a screwdriver to press a small tab in the center of the deck locking mechanism that would feign closing the lid and, as suggested, the light goes out. However, in order to close the lid you'll need to press the rear deck opening button in order to reset the latch. I'll opt for this easy move instead of removing the bulb just in case I need to illuminate the engine bay on a dark and scary night.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

My dealer suggested using a screwdriver to press a small tab in the center of the deck locking mechanism that would feign closing the lid and, as suggested, the light goes out. However, in order to close the lid you'll need to press the rear deck opening button in order to reset the latch. I'll opt for this easy move instead of removing the bulb just in case I need to illuminate the engine bay on a dark and scary night.
I still say don't worry about it - 2 hours is not going to drain the battery.

Quick Reply: Accessing the rear deck lid courtesy bulb?