Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI not allowed at a used car dealership...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI not allowed at a used car dealership...

Found a C2S Cab that I'm interested but the dealer doesn't allow PPI.
Is it typical?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

walk away....46K miles and no PPI....not a good combo
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Run, Forest, run!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank the dealership for saving you +$200. Go find a better Porsche and a better seller.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecrab
Is it typical?
Prior Use: Leased Vehicle, Fleet
You do not want this vehicle.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Good. I pretty much end the conversion once the person said you can only do the PPI in their lot. What a joke.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Based on my personal observations... you should run. There’s a reason why Carmax and p-dealers don’t want you to do a PPI.

Re Carmax I found three 997’s I was interested in via their nationwide search but none were in my state. So they offered to have it shipped out to my location @ my expense and no I could not arrange for a PPI before shipping it and purchasing the car… their selling point was that you can do a PPI afterwards and bring it back within 5 days if you did not want it. In fact, they would honor any repairs needed within 30 days… they’ll also up sell you on their extended warranty. Here are the reasons I ran from them only to come back at a later date:

1. They use open car carriers... cost of transportation was $400 to $800 depending on location state to state. Not for me… who needs more paint chips or a broken windshield. They’ll also arrange for an enclosed transporter… now we’re above $1000 out of pocket on faith before a PPI.
2. They will honor repairs within 30 days… well I’ve read too many instances re how they would not pay the indy or the dealer in full or insisted on non-OEM parts to minimize the repair cost. You typically end up funding the other half if you want it done right. I did not want to even test this out.
3. Here’s the reason I came back to them and why you should run. The one thing I’m grateful to Carmax for is their buying side of the house. I had a highly modified M3. She served me well for 10 yrs but had a few quirks: flood damage(10 yrs ago), accident resulting in a bent frame(5 yrs ago)… Over $30K in repairs which my auto policy covered by the way… love the folks at Allstate. So the pros at Carmax evaluated her… taking all of 15mins(while I was waiting) and came back with a clean report… excellent in all areas in fact. Carfax offered me blue book… I teared up at the thought of having to give up my girl but it was time. Now I’d like to think that my car was the exception to the rule and that the repair shops did an excellent job 10 and 5 yrs ago so no one could tell the difference… but don’t think for a moment that 125 point inspection is worth the 15 mins they put into it. Your faith is better served with a PPI.
4. Carmax continues to forward me notices re the three original 997s I was interested in 4 months ago. It’s curious because the same vehicles keep being listed, unlisted(sold), re-listed(someone returned within 5 days... maybe after they paid for a PPI), and re-listed at different locations around the US(some paid to have it transported then PPI). I can laugh about it now but like you had considered them seriously at one point. Man, that was close...

I agree with the others… run if they won’t allow for a PPI. I ultimately bought my CPO’d 2008 997s from a p-dealer. Surprise... they lie too… insisting that the CPO would cover me and the car was sooo new... why spend $$ on a PPI. I still did the PPI and thank God, Buda, whomever you prefer for RL and everyone here who pushed me to do so… now I feel compelled to pass this on. Funny how good will/Karma works. BTW, my indy did find a leaking RMS(CPO would have covered this) and broken exhaust tip(would have been $600 out of pocket except the p-dealer replaced it to sell the car). I also got the p-dealer to come down another $1K below my already negotiated price… for my trouble. DO THE PPI.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it typical?
They probably didn't want anyone to tell you that the car is in fact not an "S". It doesn't have the S's red calipers. They actually don't call it an S in the autotrader add either. I think you saw the S on the engine lid and immediately started believing it.

This helps illustrate the importance of a thorough PPI by a knowledgeable Porsche expert.

Good luck with your search!

Phil
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 AM
911FM
Racer

PPI or nothing.

In my case PPI, indicated thousands of dollars of repairs needed.

FM
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Run, mousecrab, run ........and don't look back!!!!!!

Last edited by Fahrer; 04-15-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

im so adding an S on the back of my car before i trade it in next time. haha.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not agreeing to a PPI is a big fat deal breaker.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Is it typical?
RUN FOREST RUN!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:04 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

The VIN will tell you whether or not it's an S. If has AB or CB as part of the VIN, it's an S. If it's AA or CA it's a standard Carerra. If it's AD or CD it's a turbo. (I'm pretty sure on this one. Positive on the first).
Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

It isn't an S from what I can tell. The brakes calipers are black, not red or yellow for ceramic. The steering wheel is from a standard Carrera, not an S. Also, when you look at the badge on the back, the "Carrera" is a different color then the "S" badge.

Quick Reply: PPI not allowed at a used car dealership...