Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:08 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been researching this and it appears that an unopened bottle has a recommended shelf life of 5 years but, once opened and exposed to air, that drops to 12 months. There is also a concern about 1) sedimentation 2) repeated freeze/thaw cycles and 3) possible long term reactivity of the oil with its plastic container.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1703349
Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
Thanks . Very informative. I know this is in the Manual, it recomends mobil 1 SAE OW-40, 5W-40 or 5W-50 which should i use ? 09 997.2. Im in the Northeast. Also im not sure what Type my Porsche dealer used @ my 20k maintance. would it be harmful if i mixed? Thanks
Porsche in its oil certifcation document says use 0W-40 for all temp ranges. For temps for temps warmer than -25C you can use 0W-40, 5W-40, or 5W-50.

All engine oils approved by Porsche can be mixed provided they are of the same Porsche oil specfication. There is no need to flush the engine when changing from approved oil to another.

Porsche does say that since every brand of oil has a 'specially adapted composition' the same brand and type of oil should be used for topping up between oil changes if possible.

Where you are, based on what Porsche has to say 0w-40 is it. This is year 'round oil for you.

The dealer almost certainly used Mobil 1 0w-40. But ask. And carry a bottle of oil with you in the car to use to top up should the oil level drop some.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Yes, oil must be refrigerated after opening.

Seriously? Why would it degrade in 6 years once opened? It is oil, not milk.

I just read an article the other day that said 30-40 years shelf life. And that was only limited because no one actually knows the shelf life, or if there is a shelf life at all. Just use your half quart of oil. Or send it to me and I will use it.
Sealed oil has long shelf life. Opened does not. trust me

Quick Reply: Oil consumption question