Sponsored by:

XM Sat install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM Sat install question

I have a 997.1 and with pcm 2.1 I believe. I bought a 06 cayenne xm unit to retrofit into the 997.1. I went down to a sound shop that specializes with Porsches supposedly and the guy told they need to recode the entire pcm at the dealership if I want this to fit into the 997.1? Does this sound right? I thought the software should be the same between the 2 cars?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:24 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...o-install.html

if you want the install guide, email Musclehdz101. He will send you a copy pretty quickly.

If the car does not have a CD changer, the CD changer may need to be activated (done at the dealer or Durametric cable). Maybe that is what the person meant by reprogramming. Recoding the entire PCM not necessary.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:00 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Since you are adding a new component to the fiber optic network, the PCM has to be "programmed" to search for and recognize the satellite unit on start-up. However, in some cases, the new device will work even though the PCM is not programmed to recognize it. It all depends on the compatibility of the various software versions in the two devices (the PCM and the sat unit). I had a sat unit installed in my car, and it worked from the get go without going to the dealer. However, the next time the car was at the dealer, they noticed that the sat unit was new, and it was not being "properly" registered by the PCM on start-up. They re-programmed the PCM, and the unit contnued to work just as well as before, this time "legally". There is a screen on the PCM that you can call up yourself by pressing a certain combination of buttons that will tell you which devices are being properly recognized by the system, and which ones are not. Sorry, I do not remember the button combination off the top of my head, but I believe it is in the PCM manual. Bottom line: install the Sat unit, see if it works as it is. If it doesn't work, take it to the dealer for the software update.

Quick Reply: XM Sat install question