Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Parking Brake Problem

I'm posting on this board because truly I need your help.
This past Saturday I went to take my car out for a drive. I live on a hill and my drive way is very steep. As I was going down the drive way I stopped to move some debris out of the road. To do this I put the car in park and put the parking brake on, which I rarely use, only because I was on a decline. Got back in the car, released the parking brake, and heard the worst metal to metal grind you could ever imagine. Immediately I knew my drive for the day was over. Turned around and parked back in the garage. I initially thought that the parking cable was stuck. There were no brake warning indicators on the dash. So I let it sit and tried backing up back and forth. No success. So I let it sit the weekend, and called Danbury Porsche on Monday. The sad part was, is that the car was just in on Wed for it's annual check up, oil change and filter, install of Fabspeed Headers, and a new front lip spoiler, along with a few interior accessories.

I sent PM to Dan aka Edgy on Saturday and he gave me some helpful advice. I called Danbury Porsche Dealership on Monday and they said that I may have a stone caught between my dust shield and my rotor. I don't think that's the problem. The bottom line is that my car sounds horrible when it moves; metal against metal sound. I seems that my parking brake cable won't completely release the rear brakes. They still seem slightly engaged. Please note that the parking brake lever does work. It has good tension and I can lock the rears when completely engaged. But how could that happen on a fairly new car and no warning displays? I know that it's under warranty, but it seems so odd. My real problem is that I'm having a hard time finding a tow company with a lift so I won't get my new front lip scraped. I'm in a tough dilemma. If anyone has any other words of wisdom please respond. Also if anyone knows of a great towing service in Ct. that will service Litchfield county please let me know.

Thanks again to Dan and everyone.

Jay
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry for your trouble. Hard to know what's going on but I will say that getting a stone stuck between the shield and rotor can in fact cause a pretty hellacious scraping noise. An inspection with a flashlight might be worth your while. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry for your trouble. Hard to know what's going on but I will say that getting a stone stuck between the shield and rotor can in fact cause a pretty hellacious scraping noise. An inspection with a flashlight might be worth your while. Good luck.
Agree - jack it up and take the rear wheels off and give the brake assembly a good look over.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

That happened to my old m3 but I had 10 yrs on the same e-brake pads. They crumbled and bits got stuck in between after parking on an step incline... I always use the e-brake when parked but rarely had to park on an incline here in Austin. Sounded awful so I had it towed to my indy vs. driving it there. Your p-car is new so this may not be the case unless the e-brake pads disintegrated on you somehow... very interested in the post mortem on this one.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Having the car towed Saturday. Will let everyone know the results on Monday.

Jay
Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
To do this I put the car in park and put the parking brake on, which I rarely use, only because I was on a decline.
I thought everyone used their parking brake as a "matter of course" when parking. Using the parking brake even on level ground provides a margin of safety and might also help protect the drive gear in the event of whatever...

Good luck with resolution of your problem!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have room and a jack, you could try putting up each corner and manually rolling the tire while inspecting it to see where the noise is coming from. It may save you a trip to the dealer if it is something simple.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
If you have room and a jack, you could try putting up each corner and manually rolling the tire while inspecting it to see where the noise is coming from. It may save you a trip to the dealer if it is something simple.
Or, just have another person slowly move the car while you walk around it, listening for the offending wheel(s).
Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Problem solved. All I have to say is that Dan was right. Porsche flatbeded my car to the dealership today and Lonnie who usually works on my car happened to be there and was able to put my car on a lift and check the wheels. The left front wheel had a stone caught between the dust shield and the rotor. That was the sound. He handed me the stone and said I was all set. Drove her home without incident. Unbelievable. I couldn't see it when I checked this week because the car is so low. So that's it. No problem with the brakes. It just happened to occur at the same time I put the parking brake on. A lesson learned.

Jay
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good idea to use your emergency brake on a regular basis.... Not using can result in a sticky cable....
Old 04-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Glad to hear it was something simple!!

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Problem