Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull the trigger on my first 911. Need last minute help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Leaking headlight washers replacement/repainting of a quarter panel or hood all sort of indirectly point to some sort of front damage beyond paint chips.

911's do get a lot of chips because of the low hood. My car has quite a few @ 50k+ mi, but the fog of love hides them from my eyes.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on movin' on. Many more available and the owner seems unaware at best and lack of basic service - i.e. brake fluid is a bad sign.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
+1 on movin' on. Many more available and the owner seems unaware at best and lack of basic service - i.e. brake fluid is a bad sign.
+1

How could he not be aware of the front damage. I smell something fishy.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

pass...
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
This is the killer for me as well. Respraying the bumper/hood could be from some minor accident with cosmetic damage. I agonized over respraying the passenger side of my car -- it was never hit but someone broke in through the window and the glass left little nicks all down the side, the mirror, etc. By the time the paint is blended, half the car was repainted to fix defects that I'm the only one who would ever notice. If I ever sell the car, I got some 'splaining to do.

But not flushing the fluids, worn tires, worn pads, etc. says this car was not maintained well. It's not listed, but I'm gonna guess the oil hasn't been changed very often as well. This one looks like a pass to me, too.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mihink
Just got a call from the P-car dealer, PPI done. Here is the result:

THE BAD:
1. Front bumper(both sides), left quarter panel, hood have been repainted or replaced.
2. Front brakes only 20%, rears 30% - need replaced
3. Brake fluid - black, needs flushed
4. Headlight washers not working with leaks under the car - needs replaced or connections checked, requires removal of front bumper to do
5. All 4 tires at 4-5mm, will need replacement soon (about 3-4K miles left)
6. All 4 wheels have been refinished
7. Cigarette lighter not working, possibly bad fuse
8. Lots of paint chips on front bumper

THE GOOD:
1. DME report notes no revs in 4,5,6 only a few in 3, rest are in 2
2. RMS dry - no leaks
3. Car structurally fine - no signs of frame damage
4. All electronics work
5. Service records indicate recent service including oil change/spark plugs at 32K miles
6. Test drive good - no pulling to the sides, no abnormal noise, clutch is tight

Dealer estimates approx. $4000 which includes new tires all around to bring it back to spec or CPO condition

What should I do??? Talked to seller who was 'shocked' at all the needs, states he can have his 'local' mechanic do it cheaper...that worries me, how can I prove it was done correctly?

That was the best $225 I spent for a car, great piece of mind before dropping major coin on someone else's problem...especially for one that looks mint in pics, but has underlying problems.

Selling price before PPI was $41K...it is even worth going after this car or too much of a headache Should I bargain the seller down to $38K (which I doudt he will agree to) for all the upcoming costs??
Based on the front body parts being replaced or repainted and the headlight washer leaks, I suspect accident damage. That is not in itself a showstopper but that the headlight washers leak I'd have to have the front bumper cover removed and by an experienced Porsche tech. My sources tell me (and my experience backs this up) that almost always if a bodyshop has been at teh front bumper teh front bumper is not attached properly and if the body shop did any of the repairs under the front bumper cover they were not done right.

Good body shops do good body/paint work but it is the rare body shop that does good mechanical work. And Porsche requires that if a car repaired in order to keep any warranty in effect the parts must be bought from PCNA, ordered through an authorized dealer and installed by a dealer technician.

Many who have their Porsche repaired rely upon the body shop for all the work.

Based on what you find under the front bumper cover, you can elect to continue with the car or walk away.

You can't know if the local mech did good a job or not until after you buy the car and then maybe the local mech warranties his work, but do you really want to take it back there if its 1st attempt at working on the car was bad enough to require you bring the car back to him?

What I'd advise you do is get an estimate from a good nearby Porsche dealer for the necessary servicing and work and adjust your offer for the car by that amount.

If you end up with the car and want to have the dealer do the work, fine. If you want *your* local mech to do the work, if you trust him, fine. Or if you want the other guy's local mech to do the work, if you trust him, fine. Or if you want to do some of the work yourself, and have some done elsewhere, fine.

Just don't pay good or excellent money for a car that is in less than good condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

too many great 911's available to worry with this one. this is like facing 3rd and 25 with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, and you have a 21 point lead. you punt, and get out of there with a win.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on my first 911. Need last minute help.