Sponsored by:

Update on 997.1 transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update on 997.1 transmission failure

Ok folks. I'm making an entry in case others in the future have similar issues.

Turns out my transmission had the following issues: damaged synchros in gears 1 and 2, and a broken tooth in 3'rd gear.

According to Porsche, it is nearly impossible to break a tooth on a gear.

My warranty (purchased through Warranty Direct) is covering the replacement using a Porsche-certified remanufactured transmission with a 2-year factory warranty. According to Porsche, this is the same part they would use had my car been purchased new directly from them.

Fortunately, the process has been very smooth in dealing with the warranty company.

While I am certainly satisfied with the outcome, I am now very about the way the car was driven by previous owners. Porsche indicated that one would have to be very abusive to actually break a tooth. I've asked while they are in there to check the IMS, look for any leaks, and also do a computer check on over-revs just in case.

My current thinking is that if the results come back positive, I'll keep the car. If it seems like it is experiencing other issues or was previously driven over the limit, I may trade it in for a newer car. I currently have 55k miles on it and drive about 18k/year.

Any suggestions from anyone?

-T
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Ok folks. I'm making an entry in case others in the future have similar issues.

Turns out my transmission had the following issues: damaged synchros in gears 1 and 2, and a broken tooth in 3'rd gear.

My warranty (purchased through Warranty Direct) is covering the replacement using a Porsche-certified remanufactured transmission with a 2-year factory warranty. According to Porsche, this is the same part they would use had my car been purchased new directly from them.

Fortunately, the process has been very smooth in dealing with the warranty company.

While I am certainly satisfied with the outcome, I am now very about the way the car was driven by previous owners. Porsche indicated that one would have to be very abusive to actually break a tooth. I've asked while they are in there to check the IMS, look for any leaks, and also do a computer check on over-revs just in case.

My current thinking is that if the results come back positive, I'll keep the car. If it seems like it is experiencing other issues or was previously driven over the limit, I may trade it in for a newer car. I currently have 55k miles on it and drive about 18k/year.

-T
Can you remind us what was the issue? I can't quite remember the original thread.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=tpenta;8443196]Ok folks. I'm making an entry in case others in the future have similar issues.

-T[/QUOTE The incidence of Ims, Rms or leaks should not be affected by lousy driving coordination in my opinion. Note: If you feel it is necessary some think that oil analysis is a good indicator of engine condition. A lot has been posted on this. Also guys cut the oil filter to look for trapped particulate matter for hints of impending ims or other failure. If the dme reading is acceptable for overrevs (seems it is never perfect) I would think that getting the tranny replaced should be the answer. Have them examine the clutch and replace it if necessary. That certainly can suffer along with the gears.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I wish there was a formula you could use to estimate whether a car you are looking at (used) is a reasonable candidate for purchase. Unfortunately, there are many wealthy people who buy these cars, abuse them, and then quickly dump them to go do it again with something else. Having been a Porsche driver for 5 decades, I have absolutely had no problems with ANY Porsche transmissions, to include synchronizers. Abusers shorten the life of these cars immensely. It becomes the luck of the draw, unless you personally know the previous owner(s).

Quick Reply: Update on 997.1 transmission failure