Sponsored by:

Torn between new GTS / C4S / CPO Tubo

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Torn between new GTS / C4S / CPO Tubo

One thing I know for sure, my next car is going to be a Porsche. However, I cannot decide which car I want. I have driven all of them and still cannot decide. I think it is important to note that I plan on using the car at approx 4-8 track days per year. Here's where I am at:

GTS
Love the total package
Great feedback (steering, brakes, etc.)
For April, low mileage 2 year lease has residual of 70% and MF of .00220.
Dont love the black wheels
Not getting center locks. Can't deal with this at the track.

C4S
Love the total package
Great feedback
Car has Turbo II wheels which I love
Ability to drive in winter
For April, good lease price

CPO Turbo
Insanely Fast
Ability to tune
No lease, have to buy (negative for me)
A little numb feeling (suspension and clutch and steering)
Did I mention insanely fast?
Over the top looks (good bad???)

As you can see, I really like the widebody models. I know this is a personal choice, but I am asking for feedback. The TT seems a little "soft" for the track. Agree? Disagree? I know I can improve suspenstion for the TT but are the NA cars "better" for the track. Where I live (NNJ) I can't really use the power of the TT but I am a power junky........

GT3 not really an option (I think) as it's too hard..... am I making a mistake?

I want honest feedback, possibly something I am overlooking, etc. Let's keep cost out of the picture other than I'm not getting a GT2.

Looking forward to responses. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
GT3 not really an option (I think) as it's too hard..... am I making a mistake?
Yes, huge mistake. You want a GT3.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at the GTS, Porsche's 911 between C4S and the GT3. You can always custom order from Porsche .
Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

You REALLY want the GT3...but if that is out then the GTS or Turbo. The C4S will stink at the track. Good call on NO Center Locks for the GTS....but I'd rather have a CPO GT3! They are not too hard and a very desirable car.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 AM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading your criteria, I'd say: 1) GT3 2) GTS 3) Turbo 4) C4S
Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

if not GT3 then GTS.

why isn't C2S on list when C4S is?

09 C2S is close to GTS in performance and can be had for less
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

F-it just get the GT2 RS!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
if not GT3 then GTS.

why isn't C2S on list when C4S is?

09 C2S is close to GTS in performance and can be had for less
Thanks for the replies. The C2S is not on the list as it's not a wide body.

I plan on driving the car to see clients, family, daily duty, etc. and I think the GT3 with the wing might be a little on the "boy racer" side. I have no doubts thst the GT3 will be awesome for my purpose, I'm just a little worried about the perception.

Chris996, I took a nice test drive yesterday in the GTS and it is on the list. I really liked it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Carrara
Instructor

You should get a GT3, but if not, a GTS. The GT3 doesn't seem to fit your purpose as well as the GTS. You'll find the Turbo too fast to have any fun.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

I plan on driving the car to see clients, family, daily duty, etc. and I think the GT3 with the wing might be a little on the "boy racer" side. I have no doubts thst the GT3 will be awesome for my purpose, I'm just a little worried about the perception.
Yeah, perception is key. I don't know what you do and how client image factors into your career, but I have hidden my GT3 ownership from my clients and employees for this kind of perception.

On the few times I have had to drive the Carrera 4 to client sites, I really don't like the vibe. I think it makes people think I am charging them too much or that I am an elitist. They don't see the 80 hour weeks, blood sweat and tears, just a wild eyed dude with a bad haircut in a fancy car.

As far as the "boy racer" thing with the wing, just remind anyone that asks that it actually serves a purpose in creating the down force needed to not die when your car is doing 190+ outrunning the police, zombies, or velociraptors. Or police zombies riding velociraptors... You just never know these days.

And the wings on the new GT3s are über-awesome!

Further, the vast majority of the proletariat has no clue as the hierarchy of the 911 family, so you might as well get the most awesome one.

Be sure to test getting it in your driveway though. The GT3 splitter is really low to the ground and is REALLY easy to hit things with.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Venom
Track Day

I was in the EXACT same position as you. I loved the GTS but not in love with black wheels...wanted the Turbo II's. Also considered a 4S, used Turbo, and actually thought about ordering new as well. The GT3 was out of the question for me as I needed something with a more forgiving ride as I rarely track.

Anyway, I have driven all and finally ordered a GTS. As you mention, the Turbo did feel numb / disconnected which was HUGE for me. The GTS is a blast to drive and feels so connected. Plus you get the PSE and the power kit standard. I just took delivery last week and the car is absolutely fabulous!!! My initial plan was to get a set of Turbo II wheels but the black wheels are growing on me. I'm going to give them a few months. IMO, unless you NEED AWD because of your climate, get the GTS...
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The C2S is not on the list as it's not a wide body.

Chris996, I took a nice test drive yesterday in the GTS and it is on the list. I really liked it.
Driving any version of the 997 will give off a bad perception to clients/customers.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
pewter82
Drifting

1/C4S 2/GT3 3/GTS 4/Turbo

I didn't like the X50 996 Turbo for the roads around here, so don't need all that.
Never driven a GT3, dislike the wing, but I know it has a purpose..best drivers car I'm told
GTS seems to be the "car of the moment" and looks to be a great set up
C4S for those of us that are not professionally trained drivers, its a blast to drive and looks fantastic.

If price is not the deciding factor and the type of driving you will want to do with your 911 is figured in...it would be down to a C4S or a GT3 for me.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

C4S w/ power kit has been fun for me, but the GTS is the way I would go if I had it to do again. I would love a GT3 but need a rear seat. And the wide-body 2WD is something only available in much more expensive cars like GT3RS.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
xseal
Track Day

CPO tt, then spent the money for a good suspension/chasis set up (I went with TPC stage III). Car handles superb, have a back seat for the kids, looks great, and there is mo replacement for the power/torque. GT3 is great, but if you want torque and a back seat, get a tt and do the suspension.

Quick Reply: Torn between new GTS / C4S / CPO Tubo