Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with Door Shox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't see how you could call it douchbaggery if you are not affecting others?
I'd totally agree if the lot would be one to fill up. I'm talking about parking at the far end of a 70% empty lot.
(Not picking a fight, I just don't get it...) Most I have ever heard is.. "I don't blame you for parking there"
Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

It's an entitlement issue. Nobody wants door dings, regardless of whether you have a $80k car or an $8k car. If everybody took up two spaces to avoid door dings, even your Canton parking lots would be overflowing.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try and park as far away from the entrance as possible and only have one empty parking space on one side. Ideally parallel park.

I've also been out with a couple of friends who were also driving and they parked their sacrificial cars either side for me :-)

I think it's okay to take advantage of the parking spaces. For example, I drove to Kemah in Texas and ended up having to park in a multi-story car park. It got a few bemused looks as I was driving it around as if to say you're brave bringing that in here. It was pretty full so I had to park on the top. In the corner was a crossed off section between the last two end spots. It was to warn you that if you parked there you wouldn't be able to get out if cars parked in the adjacent spots. One of the end spots was free so I reversed the car in at an angle such that the rear of the car was in the corner and only the front was in my parking space. A guy in a big truck close by offered to help me reverse as he knew what I was trying to do.

I think you get more respect for parking away from the crowd, people can tell that it's expensive and you want to look after it. However if you also start taking up two spaces I can imagine how it would ruffle some peoples feathers.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's an entitlement issue. Nobody wants door dings, regardless of whether you have a $80k car or an $8k car. If everybody took up two spaces to avoid door dings, even your Canton parking lots would be overflowing.
You obviously don't know Canton..lol
In any event I'll take your opinion under advisement.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM
notbostrom
Instructor

go get some orange roadwork cones
Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Wow! Don't do it man. Just park way in the back of a parking lot and take up two spaces. This may sound a bit unorthodox but I have come the to conclusion that I really don't care.
I'd recommend against taking up two spaces, unless there are dozens of empty spaces to the left and right of you.

Nothing gets my desire to take a mallet to your car going more than the inability or unwillingness to park in a single parking space, when the lot is near full.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by Minok
I'd recommend against taking up two spaces, unless there are dozens of empty spaces to the left and right of you.

Nothing gets my desire to take a mallet to your car going more than the inability or unwillingness to park in a single parking space, when the lot is near full.
Totally agree.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If the same guy parks next to you, then you can place the shox at the height of the longest part of his door.
However, this won't work if it's a random guest spot.

I always prefer to leave a note on the guy's hood with the best space and offer him $300 to swap.

To answer your question, I doubt this will affect the paint provided you keep your car relatively clean and it doesn't rain on it with shox installed (sounds like you are in a garage, so you're covered there) I'd keep a microfiber cloth and some detailer spray to spray and wipe once before applying.

Last edited by winkingchef; 03-29-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Skibum
I honestly don't see how you could call it douchbaggery if you are not affecting others?
I'd totally agree if the lot would be one to fill up. I'm talking about parking at the far end of a 70% empty lot.
(Not picking a fight, I just don't get it...) Most I have ever heard is.. "I don't blame you for parking there"
It's all about attracting attention. Even though you feel that you are totally pristine in your intentions - you're just waving a "hey, look at my car!" red flag in front of anyone with an attitude.

The best solution is to park in the open or beside other very nice cars.

Never, ever take two spots even in the most remote section of an empty lot.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Skibum
Banned

After hearing from everyone...I think I'll just keep it in the garage or not stop while driving.

Purry.. The difference in congestion between Vancouver and here is pretty huge. I think thats a big factor.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with the comments about taking up two spaces; I think it's a red flag to some people. Like everyone else, I look for spots in a more open area and always try to pick end spaces. It limits the potential damage from dings to one side and you can sidle over to give as much space as possible between you and the one potential car that can park next to you.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Another way to look at it is if you have an expensive car then people can respect that, they've worked hard, got a good education etc. However when you take up two places you're saying you're better than them and that rubs people up the wrong way.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM
akw
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You don't get to disagree. The degenerate with the key (or other sharp object) in his hand makes the call. I guarantee he/she won't give you a pass due to the location of the two spots you chose to take.

+1

Doesn't matter what city,town or village you happen to be in - there will always be "one of those people".
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Skibum
After hearing from everyone...I think I'll just keep it in the garage or not stop while driving.

Purry.. The difference in congestion between Vancouver and here is pretty huge. I think thats a big factor.
Yeah, that's undoubtedly true.

The best parking is angle parking. A few shopping centres here have angle parking right in front of the store (eg Park Royal in West Van) - I will often circle around until one of those comes free.

That's one thing I miss from the good old days - angle parking goes a long way to solving door ding concerns.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just my opinion, but if anyone with a 911 continues to park in 2 spots in any city of the country...it's only a matter of time before someone vandalizes the car in some way.

Quick Reply: Any experience with Door Shox?