Sponsored by:

PCCB Brake help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts
Default PCCB Brake help

My PCCB have been squeaking for they last several weeks. I tried hitting the brakes hard at Highway speed as some suggested but that did not work. I brought my car to the Porsche dealer snd they said the brakes were mechnicaly fine. However the performed some kind of" rough or hard Deglazing" on them , whick worked for about 20 miles or so. This squeaking is most noticable on light to moderate braking. Is there anything else i should try? On a bright note they completly fixed to rattle on my Targa roof.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sometimes they will squeal a little but I would suggest that it won't stick around for long. My theory is that they like to be hot more. What can be done about it? Very little. Try a variety of techniques.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the same issue. Porsche's answer is to get them hot by doing multiply hard braking decelerations. I've done that and it seems to work for a week or so but then comes back. I'll get a chance to really get them hot on my next DE so I will wait until then.
No question it is a little embarrassing to pull up to a red light and have then squeal though.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Yes can be a little embarrassing. i just got off with my SA. He said its just a matter of geeting them hot enough to deglaze them.. I guess i need to drive her a bit harder...
Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...formation.html

Check page 2.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Thanks..Alot of info there.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
Yes can be a little embarrassing. i just got off with my SA. He said its just a matter of geeting them hot enough to deglaze them.. I guess i need to drive her a bit harder...
Yep just wait longer to brake on the interstate off ramp...or better yet, sign up for a DE or Autocross...it will do you and the car good.

Go find a long stretch of country road that is deserted of cars. Get up to 60 or more if your want and brake hard..hard enough to tickle the abs. Slow down to 20-30mph and speed back up and do this over and over about 6-10 times. I bet your PCCB brakes stop squealing.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep just wait longer to brake on the interstate off ramp...or better yet, sign up for a DE or Autocross...it will do you and the car good.

Go find a long stretch of country road that is deserted of cars. Get up to 60 or more if your want and brake hard..hard enough to tickle the abs. Slow down to 20-30mph and speed back up and do this over and over about 6-10 times. I bet your PCCB brakes stop squealing.
SGL Brakes GmbH (which not only makes the PCCBs for Porsche but also similar brakes for Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini) provides this bedding in new PCCB brake pads procedure:

Phase 1: 15 brake applications of 10 seconds each at a min. deceleration (roughly 20%) from 100 to 50mph at approx. 30 second intervals.

Phase 2: 15 brake applications of 7 seconds each at low deceleration (roughly 30%) from 100 to 50mph at approx. 1 minute intervals.

Phase 3: 15 brake applications of 7 seconds each at medium deceleration (roughly 40%) from 110 to 50mph at approx. 2 minute intervals.

SGL goes on to say the aim of the 1st phase is to create sufficently high contact between the pads and rotors. The 2nd phase and 3rd phase is to fully develop the friction film between the pads and rotors. Phase 3 can be reduced by 2 or 3 brake applications at max. deceleration (ABS control range) from 100 to 110mph down to zero. The time interval between these should be around 3 minutes.

The above I quoted from the 1st of a 3 part article on PCCBs in Total 911. I have I think said it before, and I'll say it again: For anyone that owns a car equipped with PCCBs or is even thinking about a car equipped with PCCBs, these 3 articles are required reading.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
SGL Brakes GmbH (which not only makes the PCCBs for Porsche but also similar brakes for Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini) provides this bedding in new PCCB brake pads procedure:

Phase 1: 15 brake applications of 10 seconds each at a min. deceleration (roughly 20%) from 100 to 50mph at approx. 30 second intervals.

Phase 2: 15 brake applications of 7 seconds each at low deceleration (roughly 30%) from 100 to 50mph at approx. 1 minute intervals.

Phase 3: 15 brake applications of 7 seconds each at medium deceleration (roughly 40%) from 110 to 50mph at approx. 2 minute intervals.

SGL goes on to say the aim of the 1st phase is to create sufficently high contact between the pads and rotors. The 2nd phase and 3rd phase is to fully develop the friction film between the pads and rotors. Phase 3 can be reduced by 2 or 3 brake applications at max. deceleration (ABS control range) from 100 to 110mph down to zero. The time interval between these should be around 3 minutes.

The above I quoted from the 1st of a 3 part article on PCCBs in Total 911. I have I think said it before, and I'll say it again: For anyone that owns a car equipped with PCCBs or is even thinking about a car equipped with PCCBs, these 3 articles are required reading.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks Macster....great info. Problem is people do not drive these cars hard enough to full bed in the brakes and if they do they drive lightly around and glaze them over and will need to redo a bedding in if they squeal again. No big deal and no harm it's just the way things are.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Rocci
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you cannot do the recommended bedding-in procedure as soon as you take delivery of the car how should you drive/brake until you can find the right place/time to do this - brake hard on every occasion or break light? And, from the preceding post it sounds like you can redo the bedding procedures over and over again. Am I understanding this correctly?

Last edited by Rocci; 03-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

This is a great discussion. I've had a similiar PCCB problem with a "whirring groan" at low and high speeds. It's periodic and I find that it's happening with no brake pressure applied. It can get it to go away with a light touch to the brake, but then it returns later. Irritating more than anything else. Could it be that the calipers are stiff? I'll try the protocal above. Of course it doesn't do it when I take it into the dealership!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Im also wondering if the cold/dry weather has something to do with this? The dealer insist this wwill go away, after a while with some spirited driving.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 PM
box986
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
This is a great discussion. I've had a similiar PCCB problem with a "whirring groan" at low and high speeds. It's periodic and I find that it's happening with no brake pressure applied. It can get it to go away with a light touch to the brake, but then it returns later. Irritating more than anything else. Could it be that the calipers are stiff? I'll try the protocal above. Of course it doesn't do it when I take it into the dealership!
My PCCB also squeal when I do not applied any brake pressure, the noise goes away as soon as I step on the brake. Is it possible that i have a sticky brake pad that continue to make contact w the rotors which will cause high heat and damage.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by box986
My PCCB also squeal when I do not applied any brake pressure, the noise goes away as soon as I step on the brake. Is it possible that i have a sticky brake pad that continue to make contact w the rotors which will cause high heat and damage.
Do you have a 4?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

51K miles on original PCCBS with 90%/95% pad remaining and virtually no rotor wear. My brakes make noise when I brake lightly coming to a stop at a light or approaching my home or work driveway. The noise however comes and goes, but the noise always comes back when I drive for weeks like a granny. I kind of like the noise actually because it's when I hear it, it gives me a reason to really drive it the way it is supposed to be driven.

Quick Reply: PCCB Brake help