Sponsored by:

Fabspeed 997.1 X-pipe installed on my 06 S

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Fabspeed 997.1 X-pipe installed on my 06 S

A week ago I swung by Fabspeed since they're local to me in PA. Joe, the owner, was kind enough to show me around and sold me on one of their shiny items. He showed me a few parts from their gorgeous headers to the nice carbon intakes, but the X-Pipe was what really interested me as I've heard so many others rave about it. Well we finally got around to installing it and it sure looks and sounds amazing.

I have the PSE (unplugged) on my 2006 Carrera S so the X-Pipe had to be cut by Fabspeed to fit properly. (the PSE muffler inlet pipes are longer than the standard muffler) After being cut to size the install was a breeze.

The sound is quite pleasant! Between 3-4k there is an intoxicating higher pitched howl and and the sound only gets better up in the rev's. Lower in the RPM's or when not on the throttle it's just as tame if not more so than stock. I was only really after the sound but the power increase is definitely noticeable. If you're on the fence about the X-Pipe, do it. You won't be disappointed! I already have their software and red tube intake and I'm certain I'll be back for more in the future.
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are those 50 state street legal?
(Just curious)
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

I don't know the exact legality of any sport cats for highway use but it passes inspection here in PA and definitely no CEL's.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Skibum
Banned

Thanks. I've been keeping an eye out in the for sale section for a used one.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did they just shorten the outlets of the x-pipe to fit into the inlets to the mufflers? I have been thinking about the x-pipe myself, but also have the PSE.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Yes, the X-Pipe was shortened for the PSE approx .75 inches on either side going into the mufflers. Easy enough and should still fit standard mufflers just fine since the muffler/cat clamps are 3 inches.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

congrats, I run same cats and so far for 2 years as they are on I have 0 issues. was also able to pass emissions test here in MA with no issues - just as a pre-caution drive car a bit before you go to test station so cats will be hot at their operating temperature.

yes, in original form x-pipe outlets are a bit too long as they are made for fabspeed maxflo mufflers.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Question X point?

So, help me out a bit here.
Are both pipes downstream of the cats actually connected at the X point such that exhaust gasses cross pollinate from R to L bank mufflers? Or is it just an optical illusion?
Obviously not familiar with the X pipe.
Thx
L
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by Luxter
So, help me out a bit here.
Are both pipes downstream of the cats actually connected at the X point such that exhaust gasses cross pollinate from R to L bank mufflers? Or is it just an optical illusion?
Obviously not familiar with the X pipe.
Thx
L
Yes, that is correct. It is a true X-Pipe.
They have a video on the Fabspeed site that talks about the X.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

They are connected inside. Cross pollination occuring.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Question More Q's

Originally Posted by AWay
They are connected inside. Cross pollination occuring.
Thank you both for your quick responses.
So, AWay, did you also replace the headers with X51, or other type, or running stock S style?
Silly question, I can see your stock headers on one of your pics.
Thx anyway.
L
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

I will definitely consider headers in the future. I know they're not the best place to gain sound nor performance but they look so much nicer than the stock design.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving this thread in hopes someone can offer some insight. To the OP, is the first pictures shown of the x-pipe before or after you took .75 inches off both sides? I'm only asking because with my current Cargraphic Loud mufflers the fabspeed catless x-pipe I have is about 4 inches too long and has already been pre-cut...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

An odd coincidence I must say. While this is my old C2S in this post, I quite recently purchased an identical car and have only just started frequenting these forums again with any regularity. I knew it was a mistake selling this car back in 2011 and just had to have another.

Short story aside, yes I do believe Fabspeed cut the pipe for me in advance knowing that I had the PSE and that should be illustrated in the above photo. I fear that having to cut an additional 4" off will pose problems for you as the pipe is narrower in diameter where it mates with the mufflers and moving 4" inboard will likely eliminate all of that taper. I hope that makes some sense.

-Andrew

Quick Reply: Fabspeed 997.1 X-pipe installed on my 06 S