Sponsored by:

Generation 2 Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Of course he's joking. No one that shallow would be driving a Porsche, right?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SF
The key is super important -
when you are in a bar, it's your keys you leave on the table.
This is hilarious. I never place my key on the table or anywhere, besides my pocket, when I am out and about.

Play the Porsche ownership thing down. The women will always find you.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You get to play with it when you're not driving, and when you are in a bar, it's your keys you leave on the table.
I agree that at nice looking key has its place, as it makes me smile when I put it in my pocket in the mornings or when I handle it approaching the car, but if you leave our key on a table, I thin your foolish. My key is in my drawer at home, in my pocket, in the ignition slot, or in my hand transitioning between the aforementioned places.

Out of imterest, if you have more than one car, say you have two cars, do you keep BOTH car keys and your house and office keys etc on the same key ring...
My car keys are not attached to my key ring (house, mailbox, etc). This means I pick up my house keys and the key to the car I plan to drive. It also means no annoying rattle from other keys dangling from the car key in the ignition.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

I keep every single key I own on a retractable cord hanging from my leather braded belt holding up my Dockers pleated khakis---right next to my cell phone. Women love this.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM
texas911
Race Car

I wish the Porsche key was smaller and had a dedicated button for lock and unlock. All the other German makers have smaller keys, most with a switch blade to make it even slimmer.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

From what I've seen the switch blade type keys are bigger if anything...

I also leave my keys on the table. I paid cash for my 924 and I'm going to make sure everybody knows it! I also have the baseball cap and the leather jacket. OK, none of those are true but I've never thought about leaving my keys on the table regardless of if they're to a VW, BMW or (GASP!) Porsche, what's the big deal?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:14 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

The Gen 1 keys break so they replaced the loop with metal. The metal on mine buzzed with a metal keychain so I got a braided steel wire loop wrapped in plastic.

regarding poseurs, they come in all shapes and sizes. I'd post a picture of me driving the car in anger but I'm too busy driving it to take a thousand photos from every single angle and then animating them
Old 03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a Gen2 fob to replace mine - the plastic has cracked at the red led window.

Does anyone have a link to the pictorial guide for swapping these? I think it was either on here or 6-speed and I have spend half an hour searching and I can't find it. I think it's simple enough but I remember there is a trick to removing the key blade and I just tried it as a test and it won't budge!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I just ordered a Gen2 fob to replace mine - the plastic has cracked at the red led window.

Does anyone have a link to the pictorial guide for swapping these? I think it was either on here or 6-speed and I have spend half an hour searching and I can't find it. I think it's simple enough but I remember there is a trick to removing the key blade and I just tried it as a test and it won't budge!
I remember seeing the detailed instructions too - just can't remember where...but I will tell you when you get ready to insert the key blade into the new fob, there is a spring loaded latch in the new fob that fits into a notch on the blade and this very easily flys out, both spring and latch. From first hand knowledge they are two small pieces and very difficult to find. After getting on my hands and knees with a powerful flashlight I found them only to lose again when I tried to re-insert. I ended up using superglue to hold the blade in the fob. The bigger challenge is removing the old transponder if you want to avoid having the dealer reprogram the transponder on the new fob . I was never able to do that and ended up having the dealer reprogram for me. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brendo
The Gen 1 keys break so they replaced the loop with metal.
Exactly... both of mine are broken now...

... and it wouldnt matter if i put them on a table, as the Porsche crests have also fallen off both of them... they are just big grey plastic looking keys now :-)
Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Exactly... both of mine are broken now...

... and it wouldnt matter if i put them on a table, as the Porsche crests have also fallen off both of them... they are just big grey plastic looking keys now :-)
You can order the Porsche crests from Suncoast for about $8, it's an easy DIY with some epoxy.

I ordered a pair of the crests and made earrings for my wife. She is required to wear them anytime she rides with me.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
You're joking, right? If your friends laugh at you because of your car key, you need to find some new friends.
+1000!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Skibum
Banned

I have no friends... maybe I just need a bigger key ring.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Skibum
I have no friends... maybe I just need a bigger key ring.
obviously you need to put a porsche crest on your ski boat keys - and put the badges back on your 911.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche keyrings are for poseurs.
I keep my keys on this special keyring:

Quick Reply: Generation 2 Key fob