Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth microphone mounting locations....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Sane Asylum
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth microphone mounting locations....

I've worn the search button out so I thought I'd just ask...........

Where did you guys mount your mic for your bluetooth adapter (Dension adapter or otherwise)? A pic would be greatly appreciated......

Any tricks on how to get the wire up the A-pillar (and get the trim off)?

Appreciate any Friday afternoon help.....Almost have the Dension in. Starting to put everything back.

Sane
Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

Curious about this as well. I have a Pioneer X120BT headunit and the bluetooth mic was placed in the stock location in the steering column. But a (suspected) combination of a fairly crappy mic and that location leads to very poor sensitivity - callers have a hard time hearing me unless I speak very loudly. I have ordered a reportedly better mic (Garmin's remote) and will experiment with new locations closer to my head - thinking headliner or top of A pillar. Wouldn't mind benefiting from others' prior trial and error though!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been told best location for aftermarket is around rear-view mirror. For some reason the OEM location doesn't work well for aftermarket, which is quite strange to me... it could be that OEM design is different or has different echo cancellation?!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've tried the map light area, inside the steering wheel housing (hidden OEM-like but terrible) and on the pillar by the sun visor mount.

According to everyone, the pillar sounds the best. My 90 year old mother can even hear me loud and clear and she wears hearing aids. Now that's a testimonial for ya. so that's my 2 cents

ps... it's a coupe using a tooki.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Overhead. Works great for both driver and passenger.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

On my Tooki unit I first put the mic in the factory location. It didn't work well. I ran it up the A pillar. All I removed was the plastic part that secures the visor. On the side of the dash I removed the access plate. Really pretty simple.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Sane Asylum
Intermediate

thanks gentlemen......that's exactly what I was looking for. May try the a-pillar route first
Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
purrybonker
Pro

I did pretty much the same as Edgy with my Dension. I have black sun visors so the mic is almost completely unnoticeable. No need to remove the pillar trim, just tuck the wire in - very simple.

Mic mounted in that location works well. Even with the top down at highway speeds, my girlfriend can still hear me pleading with her that it's not time to come home yet.

Agreed about the factory location; I tried that first and it didn't work well at all.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
zanwar
Pro

I'm currently having a moBridge bluetooth unit installed. The microphone is a dual head unit, looks like a mini 1950s telephone handset. After a sound test, we decided to mount it on top of the steering column, just in front of the instrument cluster.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by zanwar
I'm currently having a moBridge bluetooth unit installed. The microphone is a dual head unit, looks like a mini 1950s telephone handset. After a sound test, we decided to mount it on top of the steering column, just in front of the instrument cluster.
I have the same dual microphone system on my mobridge. Mine is also installed on the top of the steering column. It works very well in that location.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Steering column - close to where the OEM mic is supposed to go. One day I may actually get around to mounting it in there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13392981@N03/5202247907/
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Sane Asylum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Steering column - close to where the OEM mic is supposed to go. One day I may actually get around to mounting it in there.

Do you find it works well in that location? That's the simplest location for me but wasn't sure it the reception would be good.

Headed to the stealer in about 15 minutes for the PCM re-programming....

Quick Reply: Bluetooth microphone mounting locations....