Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 gen 1 key fob BROKEN - alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
911SF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 gen 1 key fob BROKEN - alternatives?

Has anyone had issues with the G1 997 keys? BOTH of mine have now cracked and broken. I have a 2005 C2S Cab and the second key has now broken in the same way number one did.
My local London dealership have kindly offered to replace them with the Gen 2 key at a price of over £300 - while I think this is excessive I'm not surprised and will go ahead, but am looking for a bit more info before I do.
The 2nd Gen 997 key looks to be mostly the same but all black (without the grey). Is this true or is it actually a more sturdy key? Anyone know if I can change for a different key - something like the switch blade Cayenne key? I also hate the way the 911 key digs into one's pocket so the switchblade key could be the answer if viable.
Ta very much.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SF
Has anyone had issues with the G1 997 keys? BOTH of mine have now cracked and broken. I have a 2005 C2S Cab and the second key has now broken in the same way number one did.
My local London dealership have kindly offered to replace them with the Gen 2 key at a price of over £300 - while I think this is excessive I'm not surprised and will go ahead, but am looking for a bit more info before I do.
The 2nd Gen 997 key looks to be mostly the same but all black (without the grey). Is this true or is it actually a more sturdy key? Anyone know if I can change for a different key - something like the switch blade Cayenne key? I also hate the way the 911 key digs into one's pocket so the switchblade key could be the answer if viable.
Ta very much.
a valet driver broke mine recently. They paid to have it replaced with the new generation $386 US. I still have my spare gen 1 key, and comparatively I would say the gen 2 key is heavier. It also seems to be more sturdy, and better constructed. OVerall seems like an upgrade over the original. I too have a 2005 C2S.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had one key replaced on warranty on my 06 C2. It's a common problem. You can buy the gen .2 FOB at Suncoast for around $100.00. Shipping and duty certainly would be cheaper than what your dealer is offering.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Still have to have the dealer program it.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//BLKKH2.html
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Still have to have the dealer program it.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//BLKKH2.html
Not if you can transfer the guts of the old key to the new one. Per Suncoast's site: "If you need a new key, you can have this programmed by your local dealer. In some cases, you may be able to transfer over your current "key guts" to the new key housing. No programming would be required for this swap, just a small flat-head screw driver and some patience."
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

There are two items to transfer for non valet keys, the electronics (opens doors and deactivates alarm) transponder (allows the engine to be started) If the transponder chip is glued in place it may be difficult to remove and a new one needs programming, otherwise transfer is stright forward.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Not if you can transfer the guts of the old key to the new one. Per Suncoast's site: "If you need a new key, you can have this programmed by your local dealer. In some cases, you may be able to transfer over your current "key guts" to the new key housing. No programming would be required for this swap, just a small flat-head screw driver and some patience."
The operative words are "in some cases" - I've not had success in transferring the transponder piece from old model to new model - maybe I lacked "some patience".
Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for unable to remove the transponder. I've got all the "right tools" for the job due to my vocation and could not get the little, glued in rod to dislodge. I eventually bit the bullet and got the new key/dealer program. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was around $350(?).
Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 AM
911SF
Intermediate

Is it possible to swap my keys for the cayenne model with the switch blade? They are super cool. Less likely to break or di into ones pocket. So if they can be swapped that would be super duper. Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SF
Is it possible to swap my keys for the cayenne model with the switch blade? They are super cool. Less likely to break or di into ones pocket. So if they can be swapped that would be super duper. Thanks
You'd have to find some way to get the 997 transponder into the Cayenne key holder - doubt they are the same part number - ask your dealer. Also, are the key blades same dimensions?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

When I bought my '05 CPO one of the key fobs was cracked. Dealer replaced it free with the new-style. A few months later the new one broke. The plastic button you press to lock the doors popped up in front. I didn't have time to take it back for another replacement, so I opened it up. Seems there's a small plastic tab that serves as sort of a hinge on the button, and it broke off. I fashioned a new tab from the shank of a scalpel blade and epoxied it in. Much better than the el-cheapo OEM part. The key-fob equivalent of the LN IMS bearing

What I wonder is why a) Porsche insists on sticking with an archaic metal key (vs an IR unit like M-B) and then b) why not at least make the friggin' thing fold like a switchblade (like Volvo)? Don't know how many times I've poked myself in the leg with it in my pocket.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

In time, Porsche will eventually go to something a lot more practical! We'll have to wait.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The folding keys never really stay closed from my experience.. because they design them to be easy to release; they always end up opening in my pockets.

The general problem is the plastic ages and becomes brittle from ozone and UV exposure and from the oils from skin contact.

The longer term solution would be something that has a folding physical metal key that may be hard to get out - which is ok because you almost never have to use it, but if the battery is dead, you need a mechanical way of opening the door. The release button for that wold be indented so it takes a good press by a paper clip or some small stick to get it to release.

The normal mode of operation would be an RFID device with high security certificate, that is read by the car and allows auto-opening of the door and activates a push-button start of the engine. You would keep the key in your pocket and the key would have to be within 5 feet of the steering wheel for it to work.

Then they key would be handled a lot less over time and be less likely to break, but this may introduce new hazards from not having to handle the key: you forget where you left it (which pants?), or you end up washing it by mistake.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

From memory my 993 had the folding type key
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I just don't understand the key-they are masive. I bet there's a few pounds of weight savings right there.

Quick Reply: 997 gen 1 key fob BROKEN - alternatives?