Sponsored by:

Seat comfort (long trips)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
pt767
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat comfort (long trips)

I realize this topic is subjective & that we come in all shapes & sizes. I sold my '06 997S coupe 6 months ago & plan on replacing it with a PDK Cab. I had the standard (non leather) powered seat in my "S". Comfort wise...it was great for around town. Supportive & felt good. When I did the occasional 300 + miles in a day drive, my lower back hurt. I tried different seat positions to find the sweet spot but to no avail. Just wondering if the sport seat or the leather standard seat offers any more comfort on the long drives. I would really like to take the new car on some lengthy drives. I have no back issues whatsoever...it just seemed that the standard seat inflicted some pain on the long drives.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
purrybonker
Pro

I've made some long drives with my leather power seats and found that it took some fine-tuning to avoid back pain. I played around with the lumbar supports, seat back angle, etc etc until I was able to find seating positions that worked well.

This can be a challenge because back discomfort, once inflicted can take time to resolve. Drive all day - next day back hurts. Adjust seat - drive all day again - wait to see if back gets better or worse.

Angle of the seat back seemed to be the main culprit in my case - I had it angled too far back.

Now that I have good settings for each of track, highway and city driving dialed into the power seat memory I can drive all day with no grief.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Long road trips in my '06S with standard leather seats left my lower back hurting. I eventually created a small wedge of foam to fit right under my hips (elevating them slightly), and that seemed to help...a little.

My '11 has Adaptive Sport Seats - BIG DIFFERENCE! I've been on a couple of long trips already, and my back tolerates these seats much better.

I had a pretty good bicycle accident a few years ago (hip, ribs, elbow), so for me to find a car seat that's comfortable for hours at a stretch is really nice.

Try the Adaptive Sport Seats. So far, I am really impressed.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

seats are fine, you just need to play with seating position a lot. if your *** keeps sliding out forward of a seat base - try cg lock (avail on amazon) to fix yourself up. then work distance from pedals by keeping clutch depressed your knee should still be slightly bended and when clutch it fully released knee should be just barely under front console or touch it a bit. usually back hurts as you rotate your body when pressing down on clutch.
for backrest - i keep it tilted just a tid bit lower than needed for track while on long drives but always control lower body position. and it works well.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pt767
I realize this topic is subjective & that we come in all shapes & sizes. I sold my '06 997S coupe 6 months ago & plan on replacing it with a PDK Cab. I had the standard (non leather) powered seat in my "S". Comfort wise...it was great for around town. Supportive & felt good. When I did the occasional 300 + miles in a day drive, my lower back hurt. I tried different seat positions to find the sweet spot but to no avail. Just wondering if the sport seat or the leather standard seat offers any more comfort on the long drives. I would really like to take the new car on some lengthy drives. I have no back issues whatsoever...it just seemed that the standard seat inflicted some pain on the long drives.
Chiro!

Kidding aside, it's ALL about how YOU fit into a seat. I'd say if you're larger, then sport seats maybe worse than standard seats, so I'd avoid. Otherwise, Adaptive Sports seats should be best with the additional seat adjustments to make it fit best to your body.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leader
Long road trips in my '06S with standard leather seats left my lower back hurting. I eventually created a small wedge of foam to fit right under my hips (elevating them slightly), and that seemed to help...a little.

My '11 has Adaptive Sport Seats - BIG DIFFERENCE! I've been on a couple of long trips already, and my back tolerates these seats much better.

I had a pretty good bicycle accident a few years ago (hip, ribs, elbow), so for me to find a car seat that's comfortable for hours at a stretch is really nice.
I've got a similar situation, ruined back from bicycle crashes and rugby. I ruled out most sports cars because they're just too painful to sit in. The 997 with *** is one of the few I can stand, but it still hurts me on long trips.

The details of how to fix it will depend on your exact situation, so no one on the internet can tell you what to do. You have to figure out what it is that's causing the problem for you specifically and address it.

The *** seats are very good and I can drive in them for an hour or two with no pain. For long road trips I use a foam wedge in the back of the seat which lifts the hips up a bit, this decreases the angle from the thighs to the low back which helps. It also effectively makes the seat wider, because the side wings get wider as you sit higher in the seat, which also helps me. It doesn't look very cool to have a seat pad in your Porsche, but I'd rather look geriatric than have searing nerve pain.

It also helps to treat driving the car as an athletic event and do some stretching and warmup before getting in I find stretching the hammies particularly helpful.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

The Adaptive Sport Seats cost more than my first Porsche (particularly with all the leather on them) and was my first choice for comfort. They allow me to tailor my seating arrangement infinitely during the drive as needed. With all the titanium in my back I didn't want to skimp on seats.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the standard power seats to be the most comfortable seats I've ever had (I'm 6'4").
My ex GF agrees (she's 5'4").
If you're sliding around, pull your lap belt tighter.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My 06S had adaptives and they were a must on my 09S.
8K miles to Ca and back to MA, were extremely comfortable. I left my 964 for the adaptives in my 06, my back can't do without.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 PM
henrysko
Instructor

I've found my adaptive sport seats to be the best seats of any car I've owned and @ 5'-11" and 250# that's no small achievement.

Try them out at a dealer that has them in one of their cars to see if they'll work for you.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Edgy!,

you must have a hell of a time at the airport.!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:39 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I've had standard seats in the past and they worked fine for me, but I love the Adaptive Sport Seats and I'm on my second set - they were on my "must have" options list for the TT. You can only be better off with the Adaptives and they do substantially increase the overall adjustability of the seats.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

+ 1 for adaptive sports seats. Only downside is the weight penalty.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This explains why my iPhone never works when I'm with Dan (Edgy01) at local PCA events.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap I thought that was your crankshaft.

Quick Reply: Seat comfort (long trips)