Transmission update and warranty advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission update and warranty advice

Hi folks,

I am dropping off my car on Monday morning to have the transmission looked at. First impression was that the 2nd gear synchro is broken possibly because the 2005s used some carbon-based parts that corrode.

While my warranty suggests that they cover transmission issues, I was told by someone that they will probably try to argue that it is a user wear issue and not a manufacturing issue.

On the one hand I am being told that Porsche discontinued using that part because of corrosion issues -- which would suggest a manufacturing link -- on the other hand, I am the 3rd owner and have no way of knowing what abuse the car had gone through.

I will find out this week as the shop starts taking things apart. But I wanted to get some thoughts from people here who may have gone through similar experiences with warranty "gray areas".

Thank you.

-T
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Hmmm... I have a somewhat similar post I started today. Flywheel sheared off in my case. What's considered normal wear? The mechanic who has the car has never seen anything like this and he has worked on Porsches for years. We need some of the big dogs here to chip in...

Quick Reply: Transmission update and warranty advice