Sponsored by:

Reattaching Oil Filler Tube on 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Reattaching Oil Filler Tube on 997.2

After adding some oil to my 2009S I can not get get smallest of the oil filling tubes to telescope back in. The smaller tube is now completely detached.

There are three rings on the small tube and once the tube is pulled past that point it looks near impossible to push it in. As I try to gently pry up the six catches on the larger tube to get it over the rings the larger tube slides back in. I have been very careful (I hate plastic parts) as I do not want to break off the catches.

I ended up detaching the filler cap from the smaller tube (it snaps off) so I can close up the system and will bring it to the dealer with the smaller tube in hand. I called them and they said "No one has ever had that problem".

Any suggestions? Sorry I have not yet mastered posting pictures. I am sure that if I had both tubes in hand it would be easy to get them back together, but the oil and angles make it impossible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I just looked at mine and the rings or ridges on the small tube are pretty substantial. I can see how it would be hard to get the "fingers" on the larger tube over them to put it back together while it's on the car, but more to the point, it's also hard to imagine how it could have come apart in the first place without really yanking on the filler cap. If you didn't do that, it seems more likely that it wasn't properly assembled in the first place. You might want to point that out to your dealer.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have added oil several times during the last two years and try to be careful pulling those plastic tubes out. In this case I did not pull with any more force than usual. Once it got past the first two set of rings (and after failing to get it back over the rings after an hour), I pulled it past the third ring to remove it so I could get the oil cap back on.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me! I needed to add oil (again) to my 09 C2S Cab and I was pulling the oil filter tube out to get some oil in the car and the little tube just popped out into my hand! I couldn't believe it. I tried to get it back in for an hour but to no avail. I think it would take three people with shims. I ended up cutting off some of the plastic nubs to allow me to put it back together so I could drive it. I am extra careful when elongating the filler tube to add more oil so it doesn't pop out again.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Todd-Thanx.

I searched the 997 postings, found no mention of the problem and was starting to think I was the only person who has had this oil filler separation problem.

Per Mike's suggestion, I am going to ask the dealer to cover this fix under the warranty.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Sure, probably should get mine repaired under warranty as well, but I hate the idea of something else getting scratched or messed up. It's always better to stay out of the hospital if you can, people/cars get sick there!

No offense meant, sorry if this isn't fair to the Doc's, nurses, hospital administrators on this board..........just a feeling espoused by many.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

UPDATE

I just returned from the dealer. The service tech, after several attempts, could not reattach the outer filling tube. He said that this was not the first one this dealer has encountered that came loose.

The bad news is that to replace this 85 Dollar part you need to remove, among other things, the air intake. The good news is that they will replace it under the warranty.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Good luck with the repair, please keep us posted as to your eventual success.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:13 PM
herbinmn
1st Gear

Default This happened to me as well.

I have 2010 CS2, and though I thought I was quite careful in pulling out the oil tube, it came out too far. I did not realize this until I tried to push it back in, and it would not go. When I looked at it, I could see that it had come out beyond the outer ring. I tried getting it back in for some time. I tried prying the nubs out, but you would have to somehow get them all pried out, etc. I was ready to cut out some of the nubs, as mentioned below, when my son came by. He is a mechanic with very strong hands. He managed to hold the outer tube in one had, and work the inner tube around with a bit more force with his other hand, and eventually it popped back in! It is possible! He did not just push hard (I had tried that as hard as I dared), he twisted it around a bit, and that was what got it back in. Hope this can help someone else.

Last edited by herbinmn; 05-10-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Small telescopic oil filler tube stuck out on 997.2

My first oil change on 997.2. Pulled the telescopic oil filler tubes and Small tube came out of 2 rings and holding on last ring.. pushed hard and It will not go back in.

Here is what I did to fix, one person, no help was available at the time.

1. Taped the small tube oil filler tube opening (to be safe, don't want to put something inside engine accidentally)
2. Cut out a small aluminum piece from food tray (diameter of the small tube 2in x 4in approx). Do not use aluminum foil, its not enough strength.
3. Rubbed some old engine oil on both sides of aluminum strip to make slippery surface where it meets the tube and nubs.
4. Hold the middle tube, wiggled the small tube, inserted aluminum strip between small tube and plastic nubs.
5. Hold middle tube and push small tube in with slight wiggle.
6. Bingo! Small tube is back in. Remove aluminum strip,

Result: No breaking of plastic nubs, Everything back to normal.

Hope this will help some one else.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 AM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great fix! I had the same experience and had it covered under warranty. If I had tried this, it would have saved a trip to the dealer and a little embarrassment.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 PM
PCarRunner
1st Gear

This recently happened to me and much like everyone else it was a struggle to re-insert the smaller filler tube. I followed Por968 (Addict) instructions but removing or try to slide out the aluminum was a challenge and it keep pulling the filler tube along with it. So I poured a bit more oil but to no avail, same result. Finally, after procrastinating on my original plan, I finally grab my heat gun and decided to soften the larger tube nubs (as they're plastic) were its malleable and simply re-insert the smaller filler tube. The process took all of 3 minute.

Heat gun setting was at 150 degrees and only needs soften the nubs. So be careful, even hard plastic melts.

Hope these helps anyone else who runs into the same problem.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by PCarRunner
This recently happened to me and much like everyone else it was a struggle to re-insert the smaller filler tube. I followed Por968 (Addict) instructions but removing or try to slide out the aluminum was a challenge and it keep pulling the filler tube along with it. So I poured a bit more oil but to no avail, same result. Finally, after procrastinating on my original plan, I finally grab my heat gun and decided to soften the larger tube nubs (as they're plastic) were its malleable and simply re-insert the smaller filler tube. The process took all of 3 minute.

Heat gun setting was at 150 degrees and only needs soften the nubs. So be careful, even hard plastic melts.

Hope these helps anyone else who runs into the same problem.
just had this happen to me and wanted to weigh in that heat gun method worked as described! Thank you!
Old 06-20-2020, 12:19 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil cap came off. How to click back on?

My 997.2 oil cap came off of the little plastic hinge. How do you get it to go back on? Or is it broken? I find that if the oil cap is not screwed on JUST RIGHT it causes a causes vacuum leak and you can hear hissing and the engine idle is not smooth.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Ripking
just had this happen to me and wanted to weigh in that heat gun method worked as described! Thank you!
Old 06-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 926 Posts

2009 C2S 156K miles

Pull out the filler tube, place the cap on the tube like it was closed and that will alight the little flat spots on the lid's pin. It should snap in with little resistance.

Problem with mine.... it seemed to have worn, either the pin or the snaps on the filler tube so my cap always falls off when I add oil..... oh well.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Reattaching Oil Filler Tube on 997.2