Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy what ever you like and don't condem what choices each of us make. I went with PDK so who really cares but me.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jfk308
I don't know of any F1 driver who wants to go back to a manual transmission.
which F1 guys are you friends with? and what do they drive at home?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Duh. White.
It is red, silly you

John
Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by 91469972
Buy what ever you like and don't condem what choices each of us make. I went with PDK so who really cares but me.
Agree. I love my PDK and wouldn't have it any other way. Kudos to the guys/gals with 6-speed too. If having PDK is considered not a Porsche purist or enthusiast, so be it. At the end of the day, I am still driving a Porsche and I perfectly happy with that.

John
Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Synchromesh is for lazy drivers who don't get involved and can't double clutch <snicker>
Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jfk308
I don't know of any F1 driver who wants to go back to a manual transmission.
F1 cars actually use a form of sequential gearbox, which indeed is more similar to a manual transmission than we would believe. They just add electro-hydraulics paddles and the F1 drivers still have to shift gears manually. Full automatic mode is not allowed (which is like the 'D' mode in your shift gate.)

In fact, F1 cars still have a manual clutch, but is used for different purposes due to F1 rules. Frankly, I think the F1 drivers would love to have a 'traditional clutch' inside the cockpit, because it can hlep the drivers to hold the clutch at a specific point to help theirs cars to getawy at the start of the race (however, such advantage is prohibited by F1 regulations.)

Regards,
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 997
What's that.. a poke in the eye to those of us who reside south of the border who chose to buy a PDK car over a manual?

After nearly a year of ownership, I'm a convert. I'd never go back to a manual. Once the PDK is mastered, it's absolutey stunning in it's performance. Maybe that's why Porsche chose to put a PDK variant in their race cars rather than a manual.. ahem..
So exactly how long does it take to engage the sport chrono plus button while it is in drive?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
which F1 guys are you friends with? and what do they drive at home?
Mark Weber just got a new GT2RS--6 speed manual!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:48 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

What's that.. a poke in the eye to those of us who reside south of the border who chose to buy a PDK car over a manual?

After nearly a year of ownership, I'm a convert. I'd never go back to a manual. Once the PDK is mastered, it's absolutey stunning in it's performance. Maybe that's why Porsche chose to put a PDK variant in their race cars rather than a manual.. ahem..
Reckon Porsche stopped using the dual-clutch transmssion (aka PDK) after just a few years of racing in the 1980's, and back to the sequential gearbox in their race cars -- lighter, stronger, smaller, less complex, and the constant-mesh straight-toothed gears combine with race driver skills yield almost negligible shifting time disadvantages (full automatic shift mode is prohibited in most races, anyway.)

If I remember correctly, even the brand new Porsche 918 RSR race car actually does not use PDK either, but a rather traditional 6-speed straight-toothed constant-mesh 'sequential' manual transmission. The recent RS Spyder and GT3RSR (which just won Le Mans last year) did not have PDK as well.

Most of those race cars (e.g. F1 cars) that you folks refer to in this thread are not PDK, they are just good old sequential manual transmissions with electro-hydraulics paddles that still require manual shifting action by the race drivers (no 'D' mode like in your shift gate.)

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 03-17-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:08 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

As I said before, this is a pointless debate, it's a totally personal preference and I am glad we have the choice.

However, I HAVE TO CORRECT YOU... Porsche does NOT use PDK in ANY of their race cars! and I do KNOW it because I was part of Nuburgring and Hockenheim Porsche cup races last summer! it's either manual, or, sequential gearbox.

Last edited by alexb76; 03-17-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Reckon Porsche stopped using the dual-clutch transmssion (aka PDK) after just a few years of racing in the 1980's, and back to the sequential gearbox in their race cars -- lighter, stronger, smaller, less complex, and the constant-mesh straight-toothed gears combine with race driver skills yield almost negligible shifting time disadvantages (full automatic shift mode is prohibited in most races, anyway.)

If I remember correctly, even the brand new Porsche 918 RSR race car actually does not use PDK either, but a rather traditional 6-speed straight-toothed constant-mesh manual transmission. The recent RS Spyder and GT3RSR (which just won Le Mans last year) did not have PDK as well.

Most of those race cars (e.g. F1 cars) that you folks refer to in this thread are not PDK, they are just good old sequential manual transmissions with electro-hydraulics paddles that still require manual shifting action by the race drivers (no 'D' mode like in your shift gate.)

Regards,
All due respect, but I'm not sure exactly what your point is. A racing sequential gearbox would be totally inappropriate for a street driven car. The dual clutch PDK, OTOH, gives most of the performance benefits of a sequential box along with the much higher degree of refinement that street driving demands. Like the sequential racing box, it doesn't require the driver to work a clutch pedal, and is essentially a manual gearbox that is shifted with paddles. Also, having the ability to put the PDK gearbox in "D", as well the manual shift mode, is a benefit that provides welcome flexibilty for the street; it's not a drawback. In concept, PDK is closer to the sequential gearboxes Porsche uses for racing, than is a conventional manual transmission.

BTW, the 918 RSR uses a 6 speed paddle shift gearbox derived from the RS Spyder. It's not a "traditional....manual transmission"; no clutch pedal or shifter.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
All due respect, but I'm not sure exactly what your point is. A racing sequential gearbox would be totally inappropriate for a street driven car. The dual clutch PDK, OTOH, gives most of the performance benefits of a sequential box along with the much higher degree of refinement that street driving demands. Like the sequential racing box, it doesn't require the driver to work a clutch pedal, and is essentially a manual gearbox that is shifted with paddles. Also, having the ability to put the PDK gearbox in "D", as well the manual shift mode, is a benefit that provides welcome flexibilty for the street; it's not a drawback. In concept, PDK is closer to the sequential gearboxes Porsche uses for racing, than is a conventional manual transmission.

BTW, the 918 RSR uses a 6 speed paddle shift gearbox derived from the RS Spyder. It's not a "traditional....manual transmission"; no clutch pedal or shifter.
Relax, you are tunneling yourself into the semantic.

Regards,
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The next generation Porsche GT3 race cars will use a PDK transmission. PDK is a lot closer to the the Seamless Shift gearboxes used in F1. I really don't understand the emotion this topic engenders. I have one of each and like them both. OTOH my RS is mostly track and I wish it had PDK - faster shifts, constant torque means up or down shifts do not cause a weight transfer - which is a big deal on a race track.

Pick your favorite and enjoy.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
OTOH my RS is mostly track and I wish it had PDK - faster shifts, constant torque means up or down shifts do not cause a weight transfer - which is a big deal on a race track.
This is it exactly for me - if my GTS were going to be used mostly as a track car, I would have gone for PDK as it is clearly superior in that arena; as a daily driver where most of my driving is relaxed, I prefer the satisfaction of rowing my own.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,421 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The next generation Porsche GT3 race cars will use a PDK transmission. PDK is a lot closer to the the Seamless Shift gearboxes used in F1. I really don't understand the emotion this topic engenders. I have one of each and like them both. OTOH my RS is mostly track and I wish it had PDK - faster shifts, constant torque means up or down shifts do not cause a weight transfer - which is a big deal on a race track.

Pick your favorite and enjoy.
I think the problem is that those of gear rowers are getting worried that porsche and other high end sports car makers will abandon the manual gearbox entirely (as ferrari has done) in the pursuit of ever greater performance figures that are generally meaningless.

If Porsche wants to offer the PDK, thats great, and if you like it, awesome. But when I stop having the choice of a manual gearbox, I would be pissed.

I have zero interest in the 458, regardless of how technically good a car it may be, because of the lack of a manual. Same goes for the new Mclaren.

Quick Reply: I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...