Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
I took delivery of a brand new 2010 C2S in Dec which has been in storage ever since and never driven. It's a MT and I am having second thoughts. I now wish I had bought a PDK although I've never driven one. I may be wrong but I think the MT will soon be obsolete. I hope I'm wrong.

No flaming,please,it's only an opinion......
No flame coming your way from here, I just think an MT will never become obsolete. However, we might one day see that a MT no longer comes w/ the car and has to be ordered as an option.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell the truth, a Tiptronic let alone the PDK can out-shift me. I could care less really. Leg-pumping and arm-rowing gets my adrenaline going. Flicking paddles with my fingertips doesn't. There really isn't a problem now, and really shouldn't be any need for argument, because there's a choice. At the point (and I'm convinced it's coming) Porsche no longer offers a traditional stickshift, then I can see justification for consternation amongst those of us disenfranchised.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker

See, this has been the problem-

... I rented a car (auto of course)...Then I did a short jaunt with a PDK 911 just to confirm what I had already figured out.
Yes, that can be a problem.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
alanm
AutoX

How about props to Porsche for giving us a real choice with PDK. With Tip, we never really had a choice for those of us who love to drive.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alanm
How about props to Porsche for giving us a real choice with PDK. With Tip, we never really had a choice for those of us who love to drive.
True, but I would have bought the car anyway as MT, and just as enthusiastically, if there were no PDK. And I'd love it all the same.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I love the fact that we have a choice. PDK is much better than the Tiptronic it replaced. Now we can choose between two excellent transmissions.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

The topic that will never die! I appreciate the MT proponents comments, although I'm not quite sure what some of you mean when you say you "get it". What is it that you "get" that someone who owns a PDK doesn't? Sounds pejorative to me; something that some in this thread have accused others of being.

In any event, I was one of you for decades (I still enjoy using a clutch). But IMO, a MT is becoming an anachronism in several ways. A pleasureable one to be sure, but an anachronism nonetheless. It used to be that a MT offered a real performance and efficiency benefit; in fact it is now a detriment to both. And after driving my PDK equipped C2S for a couple of years now I don't miss working the clutch and shifter any more than I miss driving a car with non-power steering.

As an autocrosser, I'm looking for any edge I can get. All else being equal, knowing that PDK will buy me tenths of a second in a very competitive venue is a huge selling point. I don't know many racers who would say they didn't mind losing because it got their adrenaline going using the slower transmission interface.

I understand that not everyone tracks their car, different people have different priorities, and that shifting manually is an important part of enjoying a sports car for many people. For you, I hope they keep making MT's forever. But top performance and cutting edge technology is an important part of owning a sports car too. Just because you decided shifting manually was more important than performance, doesn't mean you "get it" and I don't.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I think there is an easy solution.
Porsche needs to offer ( as an option of course) a dummy clutch pedal, with the same feel as a regular clutch with all PDK units
Now, everyone can involve their left foot....
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,, I have a 993 tip. In addition to buttons on the steering wheel (which I never use), I can move the shifter over into manual mode and push the shifter up and down. I know that stopped w/ the 996 and it was SW buttons only. How about the PDK? Is it paddles and SW buttons only also?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ga993
Hey guys,, I have a 993 tip. In addition to buttons on the steering wheel (which I never use), I can move the shifter over into manual mode and push the shifter up and down. I know that stopped w/ the 996 and it was SW buttons only. How about the PDK? Is it paddles and SW buttons only also?
No, with PDK in addition to the paddles or buttons, you can snick the shifter into manual mode and use it to shift also.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

PDK is buttons on the wheel or move the shifter left and then push forward for up shift and pull back for downshift. Paddles are optional now.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No, with PDK in addition to the paddles or buttons, you can snick the shifter into manual mode and use it to shift also.
Excellent! I much prefer to shift w/ the shifter as opposed to buttons. Glad to hear it. Of course, it makes me want one even more now. I was really turned off by the 997.1/2 tip buttons.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Do I or can I even "get it" if I have a PDK and a manual? Now I dont know what to do, I'm so worried - maybe I don't get it and cant.

Dont think I'll go back to a MT on any new purchases - but I like the fact that we have a choice..
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I "got it" both ways, PDK on my C4S DD and 6 MT on the RS.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

As computers get more and more sophisticated the world becomes more automated, and this is just another example.
I do vitreoretinal surgery and, as we speak, robotic programs are being worked on that will eventually replace me. But it gives me a great feeling of satisfaction to do my procedures by hand. And driving a manual gives me the same sort of satisfaction. When I heel-toe properly and hit the apex just right, it feels oh-so-sweet. And to me, that's what a Pcar is about. Fun. Satisfaction. Perfect blend of man and machine.
Some people would rather park in front of the boob tube and simulate soccer with their new Wii machine. Others would rather go out and PLAY!

Quick Reply: I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...