Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I choose to shift. I am not an animal....
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sensei ADias--

Man, while a relative newbie around these parts, I'm experienced enough to note that your arrogance knows no bounds, in nearly every comment you make. Turn that frown upside down, dude!. Yikes.

To me, PDK is faster and more efficient, and is useful for those often in traffic, but it's less fun for me. It's yet another impressive gizmo that reduces driving pleasure for the old-schooler I am.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM
texas911
Race Car

But we can all agree that PDK is better than Tip?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

PDK is light years ahead of Tiptronic!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
aras314
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 RS with PDK that i'll consider
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aras314
GT3 RS with PDK that i'll consider
you had me at GT3 RS.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
So... you just concluded that what entices you are your own driver failures.

How romantic/nostalgic to expound the little foibles. I would be more impressed by a statement of proficiency with perfect shifts (up or down), especially 'tooling around the city or [when] on a short country cruise'.

Both posts above (1 and 2) show how PDK-illiterate their authors are. A PDK is an advanced sequential that must be learned to operate proficiently, and to achieve that takes way longer than the typical test drive - D mode is for boulevard riders. To compare a PDK experience to an auto rental experience is simply laughable.

And... do not shoot the messenger. I drive both. The difference is I do not deride the H-pattern.
does your BS EVER stop? EVER

proficiency to operate a PDK? What? Yes, I mean, it takes an awful lot of proficiency to click a lever. Gee, I'm going to go home and practice this in my garage.

You deride the H pattern all the time...by saying anyone who doesn't like the PDK is somehow an idiot because the PDK is so far superior.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

How romantic/nostalgic to expound the little foibles. I would be more impressed by a statement of proficiency with perfect shifts (up or down), especially 'tooling around the city or [when] on a short country cruise'.

Both posts above (1 and 2) show how PDK-illiterate their authors are. A PDK is an advanced sequential that must be learned to operate proficiently, and to achieve that takes way longer than the typical test drive - D mode is for boulevard riders. To compare a PDK experience to an auto rental experience is simply laughable.

And... do not shoot the messenger. I drive both. The difference is I do not deride the H-pattern.
I didn't see where he claimed aspirations to be like a "Schumacher"....why bag someones driving skills that you don't even know

crap like this really makes me understand the porsche / porcupine jokes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and anyone offended by an individual can skip a post. Just for the record, I'm neither bothered by this post nor do I applaud it (and I drive a manual and could care less what others prefer). It just is. PDK v. Manual, C2 v. M3? If you really want to be offended and see uncivilized forum debates visit any bicycling (racing) site and search for Campagnolo v. Shimano or any thread that talks about doping. Those make you guys look like a bunch of supremely well-behaved parliamentarians.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Regardless of your positions, if you're a PCA member, contact: porpan@mindspring.com and let them know your name and address and your preference. They are taking a poll.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Everyone's entitled to an opinion and anyone offended by an individual can skip a post. Just for the record, I'm neither bothered by this post nor do I applaud it (and I drive a manual and could care less what others prefer). It just is. PDK v. Manual, C2 v. M3? If you really want to be offended and see uncivilized forum debates visit any bicycling (racing) site and search for Campagnolo v. Shimano or any thread that talks about doping. Those make you guys look like a bunch of supremely well-behaved parliamentarians.
have you ever watched any sessions of parliament? I'm guessing you haven't. At times they are hardly civil, esepcially for being politicians
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
PDK is light years ahead of Tiptronic!
+1!

I should have mentioned in my post above that I'm a big supporter of 'choice'. PDK or 6 Speed manual, it's all good..
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
See, this has been the problem-

I've always picked the car that I wanted to own and then started on a process of either building/ordering that car or searching for the best possible iteration of that car that I could find in the market.

For me "best possible iteration" has always included, amongst other things; the highest performing outcome of any of the option variables.

My path has been pretty easy when it came to transmissions. The manual version always out performed the auto version in ANY car; at least until PDKs came along - blowing both the performance and the fuel economy legs out from under the long standing manual transmission champion.

So, in keeping with with my "best possible iteration" philosophy I was forced to concede that my next 911 would indeed be a PDK.

Until I drove one.

Or more significantly, until I started to think about what I really enjoyed about driving my C2S for that 99.99% of the time when I'm just tooling around the city or I'm on a short country cruise.

The snick, snick, snick of the shifter, my not always completely smooth clutch take-up when starting on a steep hill; the occasional bumping of the throttle cut-off (like in that split second it takes to hit redline in first) because I've floored it and didn't sweep my eyes quickly enough to catch the tach.

I wanted to get a better understanding of my pleasures so the next time I rented a car (auto of course), I really paid attention to why that experience was so different than what I had back home, regardless of whether it was the C2S or my other manual car.

Then I did a short jaunt with a PDK 911 just to confirm what I had already figured out. My friends might all drive PDKs, AMGs and GT-Rs but I no longer feel a need to make amends.

It's time to amend my philosophy - for me the driving will always be about the manual transmission. I've come to realize that there's something there that's way more important for me than a 0.2/sec 0-60 advantage that might be meaningful in the remaining .01% of my driving.

Now I sleep better. Thank you PDK.
I'm with ya! I also put in the Porsche short throw, it is a world apart from stock. I suggest you get it.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

When ordering the Spyder I also had the choice to go with either option and like the OP I chose MT. My previous experiences with a SMG M3 was enough for me to realize that part of the fun of driving these kinds of cars is the rewarding experience of smooth, fast shifts and the feel of rowing through the gears.

I will readily admit however that on my Speed3 the 6spd is not that good and I don't enjoy it that much. Throttle is way to sensitive and it makes driving the car smoothly nearly impossible. My MT 928 was much easier to drive.

For a DD or metro areas I would probably prefer PDK and knowing that it offers better shifting performance certainly makes that decision much easier.

Not sure why anyone would knock either transmission really, it's personal preference as others have already stated.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Regardless of your positions, if you're a PCA member, contact: porpan@mindspring.com and let them know your name and address and your preference. They are taking a poll.

Done!

Quick Reply: I love/hate you PDK! But now I'm free...