Sponsored by:

Car Wouldn't Start Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car Wouldn't Start Today

My 07 C2S with 25k miles has been perfect. I replaced the battery about 6 months ago. Today, when leaving the car wouldn't start. It was trying to turnover but wouldn't do it. After a few more tries it finally went and had no other problems on the way home. What could this be? It wasn't like when my battery went and it was just flat out dead and wouldn't even crank. Now i'm afraid i'm going to be stranded somewhere. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
My 07 C2S with 25k miles has been perfect. I replaced the battery about 6 months ago. Today, when leaving the car wouldn't start. It was trying to turnover but wouldn't do it. After a few more tries it finally went and had no other problems on the way home. What could this be? It wasn't like when my battery went and it was just flat out dead and wouldn't even crank. Now i'm afraid i'm going to be stranded somewhere. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Battery. Last thing touched (or replaced) is first thing suspect. Have the battery checked out thoroughly then think about other things.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

When I had my battery replaced about 6 months ago, they also replaced the cable.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

With your little driving get used to replacing the battery every other year. Do you have a full sized battery charger? If you own multiple cars (like I do) a full sized battery charger (with a mode than gives you the juice to actually start an engine) is the thing to have. Hook it up and see if that added power will make it work. If that's the case, then start a routine of charging up the battery periodically. Either that, or get a trickle charger.

If the battery is not the source of your problems, you'll have to give us some more symptoms.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 AM
jw1977
Pro

I thought I read that if it cranks it's probably not the battery? I drive the car quite a bit even though I don't have a ton of miles. The car doesn't usually sit for 2 or more days unless there is a big snow storm. I've had no other symptoms.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I thought I read that if it cranks it's probably not the battery? I drive the car quite a bit even though I don't have a ton of miles. The car doesn't usually sit for 2 or more days unless there is a big snow storm. I've had no other symptoms.
When my battery went south, it started the engine fine and then one day later it was dead.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alternator cable is losing voltage across its path to the battery. Have your dealer/indie run a voltage check ---if you're losing more than .5v you need to have the wiring loom replaced. Inexpensive part but $$$$$ in labor. Part number --997-607-018-04 AS Cable Loom.

Report back and good luck !

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdurg
Alternator cable is losing voltage across its path to the battery. Have your dealer/indie run a voltage check ---if you're losing more than .5v you need to have the wiring loom replaced. Inexpensive part but $$$$$ in labor. Part number --997-607-018-04 AS Cable Loom.

Report back and good luck !
You're kidding right?? If a wiring loom goes in 4 years on a car with that few miles on it, something must be very wrong. Doubt this could be the problem.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like short trips, also bad for the battery. You need to take it out on longer trips so that the battery can fully charge. My wife's MDX had the same issue. She drives a mile to work and back, battery dies every year until I started driving it once a week, 15+ miles. So far so good, no issues.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by D.D.
You're kidding right?? If a wiring loom goes in 4 years on a car with that few miles on it, something must be very wrong. Doubt this could be the problem.
No. I'm not kidding. There is a dealer TSB with regard to this very issue...intermittent starting failures. Diligence before Doubt ( D.D.)
Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdurg
No. I'm not kidding. There is a dealer TSB with regard to this very issue...intermittent starting failures. Diligence before Doubt ( D.D.)
That's unbelievable.....You think that the loom would be good for the life of the vehicle, not a consumable part!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

It's not consumable. It was a known defect on some early 997s, hence, the TSB out there.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the "depress clutch" signal come on? If so, it could simply be a failure of that switch. It happened to me a few months ago. About a $ 100 fix at the dealer.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM
jw1977
Pro

I haven't had a bad start yet since this happened. Come to think of it, I have had the depress clutch signal come on a few times lately. It didn't come on when it woudn't start. IS this just a sensor?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I haven't had a bad start yet since this happened. Come to think of it, I have had the depress clutch signal come on a few times lately. It didn't come on when it woudn't start. IS this just a sensor?
If the engine cranked but poorly this is not a sensor problem.

If a sensor was bad or the security system acting up or the clutch interlock switch bad, the engine would not crank.

You can test this -- though give yourself and the car room should there be a goofy failure -- by trying to start the engine with the clutch pedal not depressed.

Or take apart a key and remove the RFID pill and leave it in the house and with no other keys in your pockets or on your person try to start the engine.

In both cases, the engine should not crank.

If the battery is not suspect then that wiring harness thing becomes a more likely cause.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Car Wouldn't Start Today