Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to keep PSE on full time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Is there a way to keep PSE on full time?

With the 3.8L powerkit engine (GTS). I know it is easily done with the 997.1 engine- pull the vacuum hose and it's on full time. I'd love to keep the PSE on all the time but I would have no idea which hose to pull- the new engine looks nothing like the pictures showing how to do it in the other engines. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PSE

Carnewal?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Pull the connector identified in the pic below. It has a retaining clip so you can't just yank it off. This is from my '09 3.8L S. I'm betting yours should be the same. I like to have mine open for autocrossing (sound value only) and don't want to have to keep fiddling with the button so I pull the plug as part of my event prep. If it's going to be semi-permanent you may want to secure it with a cable tie to keep it out of the way and maybe devise a cover for the connector.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Thanks farf- I checked carnewal and nothing. Mike, my engine looks different for some reason but I will check in the morning and start pulling plugs. Thx-
Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike- I found and pulled the plug. Perfect sound all the time now. Much thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Hey Mike- I found and pulled the plug. Perfect sound all the time now. Much thanks!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Thanks farf- I checked carnewal and nothing. Mike, my engine looks different for some reason but I will check in the morning and start pulling plugs. Thx-
Nothing ? For the 997 with PSE, we sell the PSE remote that switch the exhaust from loud to silent whenever you want.
The "Sport" and/or "PSE" button on the console no longer have any influence on the exhaust.
It also helps to avoid that the valves get stuck from staying in the same position.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gert
Nothing ? For the 997 with PSE, we sell the PSE remote that switch the exhaust from loud to silent whenever you want.
The "Sport" and/or "PSE" button on the console no longer have any influence on the exhaust.
It also helps to avoid that the valves get stuck from staying in the same position.
Hey Gert- no offense, Carnewal is a great company with lots of cool products. I was simply looking for a more permanent solution like I'd seen before. I saw the remote but didn't see how is that much different then pushing the exhaust button on and off. I'd never heard of the valves getting stuck from staying in the same position- appreciate the information. Maybe I should't keep it so permanent after all.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the Carnewal part disables the PSE valves the same as if you were to unplug it. Simply pushing the stock button in the cabin doesn't fully disable them the same way. The valves are still active between certain speed ranges and RPM values I believe which means you're never getting the 'full loud' you would from unplugging.

I'm sure Gert can explain better, but that's the gist.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The PSE remote allows you to keep the valves open all the time, just like unplugging .
It also allows you to keep the valves closed all the time even if you've pushed the "Sport" button.

Because of the memory function, it always stays in the previous position so you don't have to start pushing buttons every time you start the car.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to keep PSE on full time?