Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK gearbox will be changed, should I still use my car ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PDK gearbox will be changed, should I still use my car ?

Hi everybody,

After 2 months and 3 different visits to the dealer, Porsche came to the conclusion of changing my PDK gearbox under warranty

It is leaking and the problem has gotten worse. I guess I've lost around 1 quart of oil of the gearbox

Do you know exactly how many quarts the PDK takes ? I guess 8-9 - If yes, then loosing 1 liter is not so terrible as to destroy the gearbox...

Thing is, I use my car 2-3 times a month and on Sunday I have a drive with my local Porsche Club (around 200 miles total trip)

I should not be worried of using my car, right ? Your comments ?

P.D.
The oil of the PDK gearbox is 75W-90 as I was told by a friend - Is this correct ? Can I level with Mobil 1 ?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd top it off and go.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

From the owners manual

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 120K miles or 12 years

PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 60 K miles or 6 years

I'd top it off and drive it until they are ready to swap. Topping off the clutch or transmission fluid is a dealer service item however. You need the PIWIS. The following procedure is from the 2009 Technik Service information book:

Oil filling
The correct hydraulic oil level is important for operating the transmission without
running into problems. The following preconditions must be met in order to check or
correct the oil level:
• Engine must be idling
• Vehicle must be horizontal in both longitudinal and transverse axis
• Hydraulic oil temperature between 86° F. and 104° F. (30° C and 40° C)
• Selector-lever position “P”
• Clutch cooling volume flow must be switched off (using PIWIS Tester in Oil fill
mode)
• Retain the described states for approx. 1 minute to allow the oil to settle
• Open screw plug on oil overflow bore and collect emerging oil until only drops of
oil are emerging
• Once there is no more oil emerging, top up the clutch fluid until oil emerges at
the oil overflow bore
• To avoid damaging the clutches, the procedure must be completed within 5 minutes
(PIWIS Tester exits Oil fill mode automatically after 5 minutes)
The correct oil level is also important to avoid damaging the gear wheels in the
transmission. There is also an overflow bore for this, which is located on the opposite
side. The oil level can be checked in the usual way here.

Last edited by wwilliams88; 03-13-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Correct change interval
Old 03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Hi everybody,

After 2 months and 3 different visits to the dealer, Porsche came to the conclusion of changing my PDK gearbox under warranty

It is leaking and the problem has gotten worse. I guess I've lost around 1 quart of oil of the gearbox

Do you know exactly how many quarts the PDK takes ? I guess 8-9 - If yes, then loosing 1 liter is not so terrible as to destroy the gearbox...

Thing is, I use my car 2-3 times a month and on Sunday I have a drive with my local Porsche Club (around 200 miles total trip)

P.D.
The oil of the PDK gearbox is 75W-90 as I was told by a friend - Is this correct ? Can I level with Mobil 1 ?
No! you must use transmission oil.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info

I'll use the car on Sunday and park it then until my new PDK gearbox arrives
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wwilliams88

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 60K miles or 6 years

PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 120 K miles or 12 years

Thanks for this info !

So, 2 different oils are used. I don't know which of the 2 oils is leaking and why...

What should be more common ?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Hi everybody,

P.D.
I'd get something in writing from the dealer that it is ok (or not ok) to continue to drive the car with the fluid leak. There's risk to doing more damage to the transmission if the fluid leak lowers the fluid level too much. Or the transmission would just simply stop working and leave you stranded.

Or even worse if the fluid is Pentosin this is flammable and in other models of cars (996 Turbos for one from a failing clutch accumulator/clutch slave cylinder) there have been car fires arising from a Pentosin fluid leak.

Also, ask that this ok includes the type of fluid to use, where to put it, and frankly the dealer ought to supply the fluid.

Or use the above questions and your clearly voiced concerns noted on the paperwork (with you keeping a copy) to press for a loaner car while your's sits awaiting the new/replacement transmission. (I had to wait over 2 weeks for a new (remanufactured) replacement 6-speed for my 03 Turbo.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

If the leak is coming from the area shown in your earlier photos at this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...light=pdk+leak

it could be clutch fluid as shown in red below. The hydraulic system located behind that pan uses the same fluid as the clutch. However, it could also be gear oil leaking from above that area. Your dealer should have identified the source and type from the previous service you had performed. Since they need to do any maintenance on the transmission, including topping off or changing the fluids, I would go with their advice. Seeing the amount of leakage from your earlier post at the link, I would probably be hesitant to drive it long distances. Looks like a serious leak.

Hope this helps
Attached Images  

Last edited by wwilliams88; 03-11-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess if your dealer is planning to change your whole PDK gearbox anyway... Technically your car is still driveable, casually and occasionally.

However, I am alway against driving a car on the road if knowing that it will leak oil (especially leaking as fast as yours.) On the road, there are motorcyclists that can slip on oil spots, and someone can be injured or killed.

Regards,
Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't understand why you don't just let them replace it now? worst case is that you end up in limp mode or stuck somewhere....losing one quart is significant but i didn't see a timeframe so it's hard to tell, but i'd get the new one.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I would set out on a 200 mile trip, with likely spirited driving, knowing my Trans had a problem severe enough to warrant complete replacement.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I guess if your dealer is planning to change your whole PDK gearbox anyway... Technically your car is still driveable, casually and occasionally.

However, I am alway against driving a car on the road if knowing that it will leak oil (especially leaking as fast as yours.) On the road, there are motorcyclists that can slip on oil spots, and someone can be injured or killed.Regards,
very good point!

Originally Posted by racer
Not sure I would set out on a 200 mile trip, with likely spirited driving, knowing my Trans had a problem severe enough to warrant complete replacement.
+1, I assume that since the dealer let you drive away this is some form of "approval" that it is safe to drive the car. But I would be concerned that you could either cause another to have an accident, or could be stranded with a transmission failure (and other resultant issues)

park it and put a drip tray under it ... and wait to get a new PDK.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all your replies

My dealer says it's Pentosin Gear Oil, as ATF transmission oil has a characteristic smell, which is not present on my car
Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM
exponential
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 60K miles or 6 years

PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 120 K miles or 12 years
I wonder if we need to correct above information?

I understand that the PDK transmission oil need to change at 120 K miles or 12 years
and the PDK clutch oil should be changed at 60K miles or 6 years
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by exponential
I wonder if we need to correct above information?

I understand that the PDK transmission oil need to change at 120 K miles or 12 years
and the PDK clutch oil should be changed at 60K miles or 6 years
Your right. Looks like I got them reverse. I corrected it in the original post. Thanks for pointing it out

Quick Reply: PDK gearbox will be changed, should I still use my car ?