Sponsored by:

997 clutch vs. cayman clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM
sako
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 clutch vs. cayman clutch

The other day the dealer gave me a cayman manual as a loaner. The first thing I noticed was how heavy the clutch was compared to my 997 S. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the cayman clutch. After driving the cayman for a few days and then moving back to my 997, it was like a night and day difference. My car felt like a toy as to how light the clutch was. Both cars have the same mileage (17000 mil). I am sure though that the cayman has been abused b/c it is a loaner after all.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The clutch on my 997S feels heavy with a strong spring.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Just a question regarding a loaner car.... Do you beat on a loaner car while you're using it? Just curious.

I don't and I can't imagine someone tearing up a high end auto. and I'm sure I'm living in a bubble.
I couldn't imagine returning a car to an agency with a caved in quarter panel...
Old 03-06-2011, 11:59 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Just a question regarding a loaner car.... Do you beat on a loaner car while you're using it? Just curious.

I don't and I can't imagine someone tearing up a high end auto. and I'm sure I'm living in a bubble.
I couldn't imagine returning a car to an agency with a caved in quarter panel...
Me too. I've always treated loaners like they were my own.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 AM
sako
Advanced

I treat it like my own b/c you never know when the clutch might give out and I dont plan on having a bad reputation with the rental co. or the dealer....I hate headaches.... but I have heard of people dropping the clutch etc....just a question b/c I want to know which one feels right.....
Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

997 clutch is definitely an upgrad over Cayman/Boxster. What you felt can't necessarily mean if it was worse or better!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

i haven't had time to look but you can probably check to see which parts are the same on the parts fiche. the pertinent parts would be the clutch master and pedal assembly and also the slave and the the clutch spring.

I doubt they'd have anything but a stock loaner but it is possible that someone threw an aftermarket spring and clutch plate in that car. The aftermarket spring could easily be heavier althought I'm not sure what's available. That would definately contribute to requiring a heavier foot.

If I was handing out loaners with a clutch I might put a heavier spring in after I did the clutch job for the third or fourth time. It'd subconciously force drivers to stop riding the clutch.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:33 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sako
The other day the dealer gave me a cayman manual as a loaner. The first thing I noticed was how heavy the clutch was compared to my 997 S. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the cayman clutch. After driving the cayman for a few days and then moving back to my 997, it was like a night and day difference. My car felt like a toy as to how light the clutch was. Both cars have the same mileage (17000 mil). I am sure though that the cayman has been abused b/c it is a loaner after all.
I have been told that the 996 and 997 had some issues with being overly light. I noticed this even bwtween 997,s. That being said mine is nice and tight and I was told I have a relitivly new spring.

Quick Reply: 997 clutch vs. cayman clutch