Sponsored by:

Remote stopped working...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Remote stopped working...

All of a sudden, my main remote stopped working! It absolutely doesn't open the doors at even 2inch distance. However, the light comes on when you press on the key?!

I suspect it's the battery, but isn't the red light supposed to show if there's enough battery juice left? Could it be something else? Car's a late '07 with 11.5K miles on it.

If not battery, is the key covered under warranty and CPO (I still have manufacturer's until Aug when CPO kicks in).

Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the batt or troubleshoot useing the spare key. Also, if you have an extra porsche lying around like I do sometimes I forget that I'm using the wrong key. The scary part is trying to start any of the two cars with the wrong key. You twist and nothing happens, sucks! yikes wrong key!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

If you haven't been using the car for a while (about a week or so), it won't open with the remote right away. You have to open with the key in the door, then once you have unlocked the car, you can now use the remote. I forget what the exact timing is where the remote function deactivates and has to be reactivated by unlocking the door, but I suspect this is the issue. Give it a shot, and I bet your problem is solved.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
If you haven't been using the car for a while (about a week or so), it won't open with the remote right away. You have to open with the key in the door, then once you have unlocked the car, you can now use the remote. I forget what the exact timing is where the remote function deactivates and has to be reactivated by unlocking the door, but I suspect this is the issue. Give it a shot, and I bet your problem is solved.
mine did this after a week, the car goes into "hibernation" mode... key in door and unlock.. sometimes alarm goes off when you open but you just click "unlock" then or put keys in ignition.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Guys, the car opens up fine with my 2nd remote, no issues what soever.

With the other remote, I can only open by using the key and then alarm would go off and had to use the key in ignition to turn alarm off and turn the car on.

I assume it's battery but as I said the red light comes on fine?!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm pretty sure the "hibernation" mode is specific to each remote. Try the one you manually opened the door with and had to turn the car on to silence the alarm with...........I'll bet that remote works just fine now.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997at
I'm pretty sure the "hibernation" mode is specific to each remote. Try the one you manually opened the door with and had to turn the car on to silence the alarm with...........I'll bet that remote works just fine now.
Ok, I'll try again, but last I did it still didn't work.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex,
The LED in the key needs little energy to work, it does not mean the remote battery is OK to transmit the required distance. I would replace remote battery, then check other issues if it still does not work.
BTW I think the antenna for the remote is in one of the front pillars
In (hibernation) manual opening of the door you have a limited time to insert key in ignition, otherwise normal for alarm to sound.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76
Ok, I'll try again, but last I did it still didn't work.
Alex-

Did you get your remote to work in the end?

I'm experiencing exact same issue withy my main key fob. The remote will not lock/unlock the car but key works fine to manually unlock the door and start the car. The MFI shows 'Key 1' and everything associated with this key appears to function normally - its just the remote locking is NOP. I've changed the battery and tried re-associating the key by doing manual lock/unlock followed by key in ignition and car start. Still no-go . . . Key 2 works just fine
Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amp-993C2
Alex-

Did you get your remote to work in the end?

I'm experiencing exact same issue withy my main key fob. The remote will not lock/unlock the car but key works fine to manually unlock the door and start the car. The MFI shows 'Key 1' and everything associated with this key appears to function normally - its just the remote locking is NOP. I've changed the battery and tried re-associating the key by doing manual lock/unlock followed by key in ignition and car start. Still no-go . . . Key 2 works just fine
No! Just using the 2nd key... dealer said it probably needs to be re-synced or something, haven't had a chance to take it there yet.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76
No! Just using the 2nd key... dealer said it probably needs to be re-synced or something, haven't had a chance to take it there yet.
I did everything possible to get the key re-synced on my own. Multiple manual lock/unlocks followed by key in ignition within 10 sec - start. Reset the key by reversing key battery polarity for 15 sec and reset the car's electronics by removing battery power for 5 minutes. Nothing worked

The only move left is doing PIWIS key re-sync. For now I'm defeated and revert to using my second key . . .
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the above on hibernation. This happened to me recently. Searched on the forum and a few posts pointed me to my manual. I can't recall the page, but the sequence to fix is in the manual.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Brad J.
Track Day

Any resolution on this? I'm having the exact same problem with my Key 1. Key 2 works just fine. It's definitely not in hibernation mode, followed the steps on page 20 of the manual.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad J.
Any resolution on this? I'm having the exact same problem with my Key 1. Key 2 works just fine. It's definitely not in hibernation mode, followed the steps on page 20 of the manual.
Replace your remote battery.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by Brad J.
Your key, just like mine and others, have lost sync with the car. Nothing can be done on your end other than taking it in to the dealer and have them reprogram the key using PIWIS.

For now I'm using Key #2 and I suggest you do the same until your next visit to the dealer . . .

Quick Reply: Remote stopped working...