Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tipping service writers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't want to offend with a tip and I do think they are paid better than in my grandfather's day. I also didn't want to be the cheap guy if everyone else was tipping. I'm thinking cookies or something and a nice email to svc manager.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First i've ever heard of tipping the service writer. I'd feel awkward personally trying to tip them with cash.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

Yep, it's the awkward thing I'm trying to avoid.

What about the dealer valet guys. Do you guys tip them??
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I must be the only one. It's has never been "akward" in any way for me and will continue to do so. I'm actually surprised at the number of negative responses. I have tipped for years and the SA and the mechanic and always received big thank you's, etc. To each their own.
The following users liked this post:
Seth K (02-11-2024)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If over and above, I write to the GM, copying the Service Manager, tech that worked on my car, and the service writer. I am not fond of cash tips to a professional.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, I never thought about of heard of anyone tipping a service writter/advisor.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Frank A.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Indie shop took care of my on a recent tire install job so I had an extra-large pizza and a couple of liters of pop delivered to them by the local pizza shop. They were very appreciative. I think giving cash would have been a little awkward.

Regards,
Frank A.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997driver
First i've ever heard of tipping the service writer. I'd feel awkward personally trying to tip them with cash.
Ditto. I've been taking cars in for service for a long time, and this is the first I've heard of it. Other professions yes, but a service writer?? The guy is supposed to be a professional.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
When it comes to folks like Service Writers (as stevepow correctly pointed out), a monetary "tip" may not be the best way to express your appreciation.
However, a complimentary email to the dealership GM about how nice you were treated by a specific individual, scores major 'brownie points' for the employee, and probably gets you more VIP service on your next visit.
IMO, more appropriate than handing a guy $20.
Agree. I always sing the praises of the service writer/manager and the techs to the higher level dealer management, sometimes within earshot of the persons I'm praising.

And the the praise is sincere and deserved. If I had nothing good to say I'd not say anything, because very likely I'd be taking my cars to another dealer for servicing.

I've bought the two techs lunch (off the lunch wagon once) after they provided me with some very valuable help dealing with what proved to be a totaled car taking the time to educate the insurance adjuster how severe the damage to the car was.

I have at least once brought in donuts and one time gave the shop a special diagnostics tool (electronic) that my company happens to make (and with my company's permission) for the techs to use with customers's cars.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 AM
vitman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard about tipping the service writers several years ago. They appreciate it and it is one of the best investments I have made. There are certain things that may be gray areas that warranties may or may not cover. The service advisers are able to work in these gray areas and can help get warranty coverage. They can also expedite repairs. It may be tacky, but it is definitely worthwhile.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I have the same mechanic that works on my cars for years and I always tip him at Christmas! He takes it and says thanks and is unbelieveable in terms of the service he provides to me and my car. Why wouldn't I tip someone that is looking out for me and my car?

Tom
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

For those of you who do tip, which came first, the good service or the tip?

I've yet to even consider tipping my service people because every time I have taken the car in, I have found a problem with the car afterwards. Everything from scratches in the paint after an oil change to damaged brake calipers and scratched wheels on an alignment job. And this is my local dealer!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
BTW service writers are supposed to find extra things to charge you for, they get a cut of that action.
Originally Posted by shine
Most service writers work on commission these days. In addition, their bonus is usually directly related to the results of those surveys they make such a big deal about. If you want to be nice to your service writer, the first thing to do is to give them high ratings on those surveys.
I find it laughable to hear it suggested that I should tip the guy whose job it is to make my bill as high as possible. Here's a tip: Porsches aren't exactly flying off the shelves these days; without people like us buying these cars and having them serviced, you wouldn't be employed.

Sheesh, everyone's got their hand out these days. If you want to reward exemplary service, call the General Manager and point out the behavior you'd like to reward and maybe send over a couple of pizzas for lunch some day.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I've brought lunch and Panera Bagels to my indy shop before when getting oil changes.
Best way to a mechanic's heart is through his belly
Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A few years ago I was finishing up a supercharger kit on a 997S for a good freind at the shop. It was a saturday when we weren't normally open, but he knew I was always there anyway all day. He shows up about 9 am with a box full of krispy kreams. Fantastic. What was even better, is that day one of our sales guys had told some local photographers that they could borrow the shop for a photoshoot with their models and the cars.

A shop full of models and a box full of donuts laying around made for a funny day. Come on girls, just one donut......

Quick Reply: Tipping service writers...