Sponsored by:

Non-Porsche Dealerships?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:59 AM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non-Porsche Dealerships?

It seems like all the non-porsche dealerships are ridiculious on letting you close to even test driving the car. Its like they just don't want you to buy it. Having an expirence with a Ford dealership which won't let me test drive the car and doesn't even think a PPI is necessery. I am literally outraged and I am not sure what idiot would buy such a car without a PPI and Dme scan.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on dealer. I shopped for a 997 and the Merc dealer offered to get the keys when I simply mentioned which car I was interested in seeing.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by islandtrader
It seems like all the non-porsche dealerships are ridiculious on letting you close to even test driving the car. Its like they just don't want you to buy it. Having an expirence with a Ford dealership which won't let me test drive the car and doesn't even think a PPI is necessery. I am literally outraged and I am not sure what idiot would buy such a car without a PPI and Dme scan.
Man, some dealers are just plain shady. It doesn't really matter what brand of car they sell, some are reasonable and some are just hustlers who try all kinds of dirty tricks to sell you bad cars for too much money. Be thankful you found out this early in the process.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:43 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Its the dealer owners car and he is apparently not ready to part with it. Extremely protective of it so I am not really sure why he even put it up for sale. We already negotiated price on the car, all I would want is a PPI and a test drive. The car looks good but its only photos and I would like to see what the dme scan prints out. I am just not happy with the dealership, the sales people hardly know anything about cars, just no passion. If I was a salesman I would at least show to some interest in the cars I am selling! What is life without passion?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Its the dealer owners car and he is apparently not ready to part with it. Extremely protective of it so I am not really sure why he even put it up for sale. We already negotiated price on the car, all I would want is a PPI and a test drive. The car looks good but its only photos and I would like to see what the dme scan prints out. I am just not happy with the dealership, the sales people hardly know anything about cars, just no passion. If I was a salesman I would at least show to some interest in the cars I am selling! What is life without passion?
General rule is anything a car salesman tells you is intended to get you buy the car as soon as possible and pay as much for the car as you can.

If you haven't already done this make a note to yourself to not put a deposit on this car.

Not wanting to part with car? I've never run into a car dealer yet that wouldn't part with a car for the right price. It is a sales technique. Call it crude, off-putting, lame, whatever, but it must work some of the time or the dealer/seller would not use it.

I hope the price is contingent on the car passing a PPI and having a clear DME overrev counter readout?

I can understand the seller's reluctance to allow a PPI. He has to surrender the car to you or some whomever you chose to PPI the car and god only knows what can happen.

A good test ride in the car and then a test drive over the same route can tell you a lot about the car's condition.

Car buying should be fun, intense at times, but fun. This attempted car purchase by you doesn't sound fun at all. I'd be inclined to walk away. You may find the dealer a bit more receptive to you if (when) you check later and find the car still for sale, but this time the dealer I bet will be a bit more motivated to sell the car. Of course you will adapt the role of a reluctant customer and drive a much better bargain, providing, always providing the car is as best you can determine worth owning.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:32 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems pretty simple to me. The PPI and DME read-outs are deal points. No PPI/DME, no sale. Be prepared to walk away.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

I have told them I am not buying the car with on a PPI and Dme readout and price set is based on that being passed. The best part about it is the car has been serviced at the porsche dealership where I want to do this PPI. They do not understand why even such thing would be needed because the car only has 12k miles. Very frustrating!!!! I am thinking maybe I can have the porsche dealership call them and tell them it is nothing intrusive to the car and is merely a common thing to do. They are suppose to call me in a couple of days and we'll see, but I am definitely ready to walk on this one if they don't comply. Why does car buying have to be so stressful!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Depends on the dealer. I went to a used car dealer in New Orleans to check out a 2007 base 997 coupe with only 12k miles earlier this month and was astonished when the dealer handed me the keys, didn't even check to see if I had a driver's license and told me to bring it back whenever I was satisfied.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

I have told them I am not buying the car with on a PPI and Dme readout and price set is based on that being passed. The best part about it is the car has been serviced at the porsche dealership where I want to do this PPI. They do not understand why even such thing would be needed because the car only has 12k miles. Very frustrating!!!! I am thinking maybe I can have the porsche dealership call them and tell them it is nothing intrusive to the car and is merely a common thing to do. They are suppose to call me in a couple of days and we'll see, but I am definitely ready to walk on this one if they don't comply. Why does car buying have to be so stressful!!!!!!
Even though a car only has 12K miles anything can have happened to this car in that time.

Thus, a PPI is a good idea cause for instance not all body/paint work is noted in any of the databases used by the car history reporting firms.

Also, one assumes the person doing the PPI is super-savvy regarding the model of car he is PPI'ing and will know about less common issues that you may not know about, or may overlook.

A 2nd pair of eyes looking over a used car is a very good idea.

The seller's reluctance to allow a PPI, to discourage it, may just be the normal reluctance of a seller that is bothered -- as I might be -- turning over a car to someone to have a PPI done.

Or it may be because the seller knows the PPI might turn up something.

Another thing you are dealing with is the car is at a non-Porsche dealership. The dealership may be used to a different type of buyer one that shows up and is more concerned about payment amounts, lease arrangements, interest rates, etc., than the condition of the car. The usual buyer may be quite willing to accept the dealer's word on another car of the brand represented by the dealer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
Even though a car only has 12K miles anything can have happened to this car in that time.

Thus, a PPI is a good idea cause for instance not all body/paint work is noted in any of the databases used by the car history reporting firms.

Also, one assumes the person doing the PPI is super-savvy regarding the model of car he is PPI'ing and will know about less common issues that you may not know about, or may overlook.

A 2nd pair of eyes looking over a used car is a very good idea.

The seller's reluctance to allow a PPI, to discourage it, may just be the normal reluctance of a seller that is bothered -- as I might be -- turning over a car to someone to have a PPI done.

Or it may be because the seller knows the PPI might turn up something.

Another thing you are dealing with is the car is at a non-Porsche dealership. The dealership may be used to a different type of buyer one that shows up and is more concerned about payment amounts, lease arrangements, interest rates, etc., than the condition of the car. The usual buyer may be quite willing to accept the dealer's word on another car of the brand represented by the dealer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
The salesman asked me if it is common for people to test drive Porsches; just shows you what they know. He even told me they don't let anybody test drive Shelbys lol. Plus the PPI is being done at a Porsche dealership where the guy normally services the car. If they don't comply they don't and good luck to them selling the car ever. There are many fishes in the sea!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why you've put up with this bs for this long. Move on man, there are lots of great Porsches out there. The best best is to buy one from this bunch.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If the car is used then a test drive is warranted. Otherwise, you will only discover some issues AFTER the transfer. It's ridiculous on a used car not to get a test drive. In the past when shopping for a 911 (used) I was gone with it for an hour and a half--by myself with it.

Quick Reply: Non-Porsche Dealerships?