Sponsored by:

Trim Panel touch-up paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trim Panel touch-up paint

I was wondering if any one has been able to find an exact match of black for touching up the black slush paint that covers many of the interior parts. I have a few light scratches i want to cover-up but i dont want to remove the panel from the car for this. Can anyone provide the exact brand and color that has worked well for them?
Model paint in flat black perhaps?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

this is called soft touch, it is a texture and colored. Never seen it but you can ask at a paint store if they have access to it..
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, it's going to be tough to touch up using soft touch paint (or elastomeric paint) even if you can get it. It's actually paint with a little rubber in it. might be able to get it here if u call:

http://www.alsacorp.com/

As a result, it's really thick and it's going to be tough or impossible to blend with the existing paint without stripping it all. I think you're probably going to end up removing the whole part. if it's a cheap part it might just be cheaper to buy a new one.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

anyone have a stone grey - i mean, now peeled and black - ashtray they want to sell?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your help guys.
I was looking for the closes match to black which i thought might be the easiest to match. Someone on the 996 board has use Testors flat back with some success. Others may be harder to duplicate.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I recall someone with a tan interior took his ashtray to Home Depot and had them mix some paint to match. From the before and after photos he showed, it looked like a perfect match.

This is one of the secondary reasons I like to wear driving gloves. Helps to keep all the soft touch surface areas scratch free.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 AM
ballplayer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try giving automotivetouchup a call or email. On their faq page I read that they may be able to get a match on your interior.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Or give Eric at Bumperplugs a call/email. He might be able to source a replacement for you OR even a nice upgrade! Satin black does closely resemble the soft touch interior as I had it done on my custom interior upgrade from Eric. Little more sheen tho. Looks great. Search and you'll see my pics. GL
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I did some touch up on the A/C fan control ****. I used: Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker 2718 Ebony. I bought it at Home Depot ~ 6 months ago. It did a great job. If I didn't point out where I did the touch up you would never know. The color is a match but you don't get any "thickness" or rubber feel out of the marker.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Don't waste your time. It will end up looking like crap.

Local dealers have one go-to leather repair guy for all their CPO cars. Find THAT guy. He can usually do the soft touch stuff (I've watched it on Porsche, Nissan, BMW, Audi, etc).

That's the best way to go.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Don't waste your time. It will end up looking like crap.

Local dealers have one go-to leather repair guy for all their CPO cars. Find THAT guy. He can usually do the soft touch stuff (I've watched it on Porsche, Nissan, BMW, Audi, etc).

That's the best way to go.
I definitely agree that having an experienced person do it will look better than if attempted by someone with ten thumbs, however if one has good hand-eye coordination and a meticulous nature, I would strongly disagree it would "look like crap". I guarantee you, my results would look as close to perfect as it gets...or I'd keep doing it over until it did.

I also would point out that most dealers try to get away as cheaply as possible vis a vis detailing, and care only that it looks good long enough for the car to sell. The interior detailing on mine wore off in a few months. If the detailer simply sprays over the panel, which typically is what they do, the soft-touch slush paint underneath is still deteriorated and the new paint will slough off in no time. Like painting over rust. Only if the panel is stripped and primed before repainting does it have a prayer of lasting. Surely you of all people understand that. So if going to the dealer's go-to guy, I advise getting it in writing that the panels will be stripped and primed, not just painted over. If he says it's fine to spray over, then ask for a 1-year guarantee and I bet he refuses.

Quick Reply: Trim Panel touch-up paint