Sponsored by:

Detailers and clean fanatics, I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Detailers and clean fanatics, I need your help

What is the secret to cleaning / keeping clean the stone guards just behind the diver's and passenger's door? It was bad enough on my SY 997.1, but on the the white GTS it just looks horrible. Not to mention the guards start looking opaque/yellowed before the rest of the car starts to appear dirty.

Help me Obi-Wan....you're my only hope!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think there's anything to be done about the yellowing other than just replacing the film from time to time.

PF1 T.T.R is the magic elixir for removing scuffs from the fender guards or clear bra.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
I don't think there's anything to be done about the yellowing other than just replacing the film from time to time.

PF1 T.T.R is the magic elixir for removing scuffs from the fender guards or clear bra.
Well, the guard is <60 days old so I don't think it needs replacing yet, just cleaning.

And I should have clarified - my main point of concern is the front edge of the guard. When the whole thing is cleaned it looks good, but it is really hard to get the front edge clean where the dirt collects. I'm hesitant to take any kind of scrub or brush to it, but normal washing doesn't get it clean.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah - I'm thinking of removing the clear stone guard and adding black ones, a la Speedster & the older Carreras (964 I think). Then I won't have to worry about obsessing over the black line of dirt along the edge of a clear guard.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 520 Posts

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but would a boar's hair brush be useful for cleaning the leading edge of the film without harming the paint?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but would a boar's hair brush be useful for cleaning the leading edge of the film without harming the paint?
I use a toothbrush...but I do not get it exactly perfect because 1hr down the road and it is dirty again.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Coming from one of the most analy clean guys (I know it's an oxymoronic combo of words) Doug, believe me ... the stock 3M film that comes on the passenger side door yellows even before it leaves the shipping vessel. There is nothing anyone can do about it other than replacing it with a ventureshield paint protection film (PPF). Even with the best care any PPF will yellow to some extent with time and this will show more on white cars. As long as you don't let dirt to settle on the film for a long time (so that's why regular car wash is important) there is less chance of dirt to seep into the pores of the film and that is what causes yellowing of film. I use a good quality sealant to lock the pores (nanoskin) and regular wash and immediately dress it up with a spray on wax (non carnauba formulation like Einzett) before drying.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 02-24-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They gave me a can of Plexus when I had the clear bra installed. This is from Autogeek:

This plastic polish is used by NASA and the Air Force.

In fact, it's mandated for use on the B1B Stealth Bomber to clean, polish and protect the canopy. That's a $300,000.00 canopy!

This is serious stuff and it's so easy to use. Just spray it on any clear or colored plastic surface and wipe with a clean cloth. Plexus Plastic Cleaner penetrates and lifts even the most difficult stain without damaging the fragile surface of the plastic.

Plexus is anti-static. It repels the dust and dirt normally attracted to plastic. Plexus also leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of protectant, sealing the porus surface, making it more resistant to dirt, dust and other contaminants.

Regular use will help prevent hazing, yellowing and oxidation which diminishes the plastic's luster, strength and appearance. You'll also love how water beads and slides right off your vehicle when it rains!

Use Plexus on convertible windows, bug guards, window tint films, fiberglass boats & RV's, big screen TV's, LCD computer screens, helmets, goggles and fairings. It will amaze you.

Available in 13 oz. aerosol and 0.42 pocket spray
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Doug, I edited my first post to let you know about the products I use.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
...my main point of concern is the front edge of the guard. When the whole thing is cleaned it looks good, but it is really hard to get the front edge clean where the dirt collects. I'm hesitant to take any kind of scrub or brush to it, but normal washing doesn't get it clean.
I use P21S Total Auto Wash. See http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_taw.html.

I spray it on the edges of the stone guards just before I detail my car. After washing, they look brand new. No oil/dirt build-up of any kind remains. And no scrubbing is required.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh yeah - I'm thinking of removing the clear stone guard and adding black ones, a la Speedster & the older Carreras (964 I think). Then I won't have to worry about obsessing over the black line of dirt along the edge of a clear guard.
Having a basalt black car myself, I never knew this was an issue. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the retro black guards. They should look cool with the black rims of the GTS.

(FYI - The 964 didn't have the black stone guards, it was the pre-964 911 wide body cars e.g. Turbo, '89 Speedster etc.)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:16 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I lost my first ever Concours (won my second- Geneva Concours Class "C") for having dirty edges on my Carrara White Boxster S a few years ago.

One of the Concours Judges, Pat Y., from the Chicago Section, gave me a few pointers after the event. He told me to dip the tip of a cotton swab in Wurth Citrus Degreaser, and trace the edges a few times to remove the dirt and wax build-up. Spritz with distilled water to rinse, and them wipe dry with a quality towel. Then detail with wax or sray wax as desired.

When doing a major detail. I tape off those edges now with the blue (or green) 3M painters tape.

I also think certain tire dressings get thrown (from the front to the rear) onto the stone guards, and causes this "yellowing". 303 seems to work best.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

q-tip and detail spray along the DMZ and yea, little elbow grease is necessary.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 188 Likes on 96 Posts

Well, the guard is <60 days old so I don't think it needs replacing yet, just cleaning.

And I should have clarified - my main point of concern is the front edge of the guard. When the whole thing is cleaned it looks good, but it is really hard to get the front edge clean where the dirt collects. I'm hesitant to take any kind of scrub or brush to it, but normal washing doesn't get it clean.
Someone mentioned a toothbrush; a soft one would work well. Problem is that some road grime doesn't respond too well to normal car wash soap. A product I've used to remove road grime and grease is called Tarminator from Stoner. Wet the toothbrush then spray Tarminator on the brush and use it to gently loosen the road grime that is accumulating along the edge of the guard. Wash off, apply new wax, and you should be good to go.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations. I'm going shopping Saturday to see what is available locally.

Quick Reply: Detailers and clean fanatics, I need your help