Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you flush the clutch fluid in a 997.2S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you flush the clutch fluid in a 997.2S?

After doing some research and looking up the slave cylinder in the PET I noticed the slave cylinder does not have a bleeder. Instead it has a return line attached to it. The PET catalog does list a Bleeder but it appears it's for maintenance only and is not permanently attached to the slave cylinder.

Does anyone know how to flush the clutch fliud on a 997.2?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images    
Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Do we know it to be different from the 997.1 cars? There is a bleed nipple for those back at the transaxle.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Hello Dan,
Yes, it is different. Attached is the PET part number for the 997.1 slave cylinder. Part number starts with a 996 for the 997.1, and 997 for the 997.2.

This is the rennlist link that started my research. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=37901
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If there's a return line then the challenge is to sort out what the true fluid routing is so that you know that your purge is complete, and that you don't have a deadend of old fluid. Did the workshop manual address the change?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
VicL
Intermediate

I do not have a workshop manual for the 997.2. This is a tricky one. I have never encountered a slave cylinder with a return line.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Default Pic of 997.2 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Notice the clutch fluid return line attach to where the bleeder is supposed to be. The return line goes all the way back to just below the brake fluid reservoir.
Has anyone bled a 997.2 clutch slave?
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

What's the wire/hose coming out above the steel line? Can you crack that to bleed if you disconnect? Remember it's usually the highest point that you bleed so i'd look at that first.

I wouldn't recommend it for normal maint but if you've got air trapped and you're really just trying to get the car moving you can probably crack the highest-most fitting (even if it's not a bleeder) and pump the pedal a few times to push the air out. The fluid will pour down the side of the trans case (so make damn sure you clean it perfectly because that fluid loves to eat paint etc. ) but it will get you to the point where you can drive the car again.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry I am late on this..

Porsche makes a bleeder tool for the 997.2 clutch bleed for the upper fitting on Part 1, first drawing. The tool mates with the fitting and has a furled **** on one end that you can spin open to bleed the same once the system is pressurized. I don't know the part number, unfortunately.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Cello, never too late for a response.

I found the bleeder in the PET catalog but have come to the conclusion that you don’t have to use the bleeder to do a maintenance flush/bleed on this system unless the slave cylinder is replaced.

After lots of research, I believe the new slave cylinder has a built in fluid recirculation valve hence the return line. I say built in because all other parts are the same as 997.1 except for the return line and slave cylinder. If this is true, the slave cylinder is self bleeding and fluid circulates from the reservoir to the slave cylinder. I basically just filled the reservoir with fresh fluid, pump the clutch 20 times, drain and refill. The Porsche Bleeder most likely holds the valve open for bleeding.

The Brake Fluid Recirculation Valve links below is how I came to this conclusion. The Clutch slave cylinder functions basically the same as brake caliper pistons (extending and retracting) but because of the longer strokes would actually move more fluid.

Go to Brake Fluid Recirculator Sectionhttp://www.prosystembrakes.com/technical_info.htm

Brake Fluid Recirculating Valve http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/store/surestop.php

Go to Post #9 http://forums.viperclub.org/tire-whe...rake-fade.html

Not the definitive answer but until I hear otherwise...
Let me know what you think?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Why did you need to flush the fluid? was there any issues with your shifting? how old/miles?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Regular 2 year brake fluid change maintenance. The 997.1 requires the 50ml to be flushed from the clutch slave cylinder but I don't know the requirements for the 997.2.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VicL
Regular 2 year brake fluid change maintenance. The 997.1 requires the 50ml to be flushed from the clutch slave cylinder but I don't know the requirements for the 997.2.
Ha? you wanted to brake or clutch flush?!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 AM
VicL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexb76
Ha? you wanted to brake or clutch flush?!
Alex, Porsche uses the same fluid reservoir for BOTH brake and clutch fluid. When you flush the brake fluid, you should also flush the clutch slave cylinder too.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Alex, Porsche uses the same fluid reservoir for BOTH brake and clutch fluid. When you flush the brake fluid, you should also flush the clutch slave cylinder too.
Not sure if it's required as I didn't when I flushed my brakes. But maybe that's the ideal way of doing it.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Cello, never too late for a response.

I found the bleeder in the PET catalog but have come to the conclusion that you don’t have to use the bleeder to do a maintenance flush/bleed on this system unless the slave cylinder is replaced.

After lots of research, I believe the new slave cylinder has a built in fluid recirculation valve hence the return line. I say built in because all other parts are the same as 997.1 except for the return line and slave cylinder. If this is true, the slave cylinder is self bleeding and fluid circulates from the reservoir to the slave cylinder. I basically just filled the reservoir with fresh fluid, pump the clutch 20 times, drain and refill. The Porsche Bleeder most likely holds the valve open for bleeding.

The Brake Fluid Recirculation Valve links below is how I came to this conclusion. The Clutch slave cylinder functions basically the same as brake caliper pistons (extending and retracting) but because of the longer strokes would actually move more fluid.

Go to Brake Fluid Recirculator Sectionhttp://www.prosystembrakes.com/technical_info.htm

Brake Fluid Recirculating Valve http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/store/surestop.php

Go to Post #9 http://forums.viperclub.org/tire-whe...rake-fade.html

Not the definitive answer but until I hear otherwise...
Let me know what you think?
VicL - Nice post. I think you are probably right. It stands to reason that the fluid is circulated thru the system given the two lines and that there is a valve that permits its movement in one direction only, hence the 'return line'. I can see no reason why pumping the peddle would not push the old out, and the new in ...

Not a definitive answer either. I will check with my tech bud next time I see/talk to him and let you know what he thinks...

For a maintenance flush your procedure is probably all that is needed. If changing fluid to a higher boiling point type for track use for example it might be best to bleed with the tool under pressure to (1) completely remove the old fluid (2) be sure no air is introduced to/left in the system and (3) prevent mixing and the lowering of the effective boiling point of the new fluid.

Last edited by cello; 03-06-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: how do you flush the clutch fluid in a 997.2S?