Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnt clutch smell is it normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are aware of cosmoline on these cars right. It is that certain perfume that new porsches have. It makes them smell like artillery. It develops a full nose when the car is driven hard and hot. This bouquet can be detected in porsches up to 3 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline
Old 02-20-2011, 02:03 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

especially in SF (hills) - PDK would be pretty nice

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Why do you guys all hate on PDK?

Just push the button!

Phil
Old 02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=gpjli2;8315909]
Originally Posted by docfink
I've been driving manuals for years, and I think I sometimes smell the clutch when I park the car in our garage. It's possible it's another smell, though.

The driveway is sloped and the garage is a tight fit. I don't rev it that high, but I've got to let the clutch out slowly so I don't hit the shelves. I don't notice the smell any other time, only in the confines of the garage, which makes sense, I guess.[/QUOTE

Hot engine smells like cosmoline and oil. The harder you run it the more you will notice it after parking. This is a good smell. Burnt clutch is very different and noticeable from inside the car while driving. Not so good.
Cool--thanks.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I've only burnt the clutch the first month I owned it, till I learned the proper engagement and it happened a couple of times in SPORT mode when I basically applied too much Torque at clutch release. Never again since then... I suspect you were out of practice!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
hi , i just took my car out for a bit of a run today since being stored for 2 months already. once the oil temp warmed up i started to drive it hard my shifting was hard so i was wondering is the burnt clutch smell after hard shifting normal for u guys or am i driving it wrong?
May not be the clutch you're smelling. Did the clutch slip under acceleration? Did you slip the clutch excessively when shifting to a higher (or lower) gear?

Also, after sitting 2 months there can be a bit of fluid that leaked/seeped out over time and as the engine/running gear got hot emitted the smell.

I hope there's no signs of any rodents in the car? Check the top of the underbody plastic panels for any signs of trash/debris.

Yet another source of the odor is one of the exhaust pipes picked up some trash (piece of paper, plastic, even water (snow? ice? slush? mud?) splash from the drive and this burning/drying from the heat is what you smelled.

Lastly, these cars smell a bit after they hot anyway, with no fluid leaks, no rodents, nothing on the exhaust pipes. There is cosmoline all over the engine and some running gear as others have noted. But the engine is in an enclosed area, surrounded by hot exhausts, tires/brakes and running gear. These cars just stink (nice stink though!) some some when the engine/running gear/car is hot.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: burnt clutch smell is it normal ?