Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 997 sight unseen

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is priced at $5000 under CPO value according to NADA, KBB and Edmunds. The Carfax and Autocheck are clean.

I'm not happy with the mileage either (31k) but it has a 2 year CPO warranty. The photos look nice. Given the price, I believe it's worth flying up there. I checked with BBB and the dealership has no complaints over the last 3 years.

I'm looking at another car with only 16,000 miles, but it has no CPO and the 4 year warranty expires this May.

This stuff can drive one mad!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought you can buy a factory CPO from any Porsche dealer as long as the car in question is still under warranty.
I would not spend a dime chasing an average car. You should be able to find that type of car in your own neighborhood. The real nice stuff is more scarce and worth spending money to find that perfect car.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

The car is no longer under 4 year warranty. The dealer CPO'd it and the selling price is $5000 below estimated retail CPO price.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2 year/50k CPO warranty is plenty IMHO for a car with 31K on the odometer. I just purchased a CPO '06 C2S Cab from a dealer outside NYC with 25K miles. I had them send me about 30 high-def pictures of the car which passed my "visual" test. I then flew up with check in hand to look at the car, and was pleasantly surprised by its condition. Everything checked out, so I purchased it that day and drove it home.

Other than pictures, one important thing to look at is the DME read out (# of ignitions at each RPM range). I wanted a car that did not have any Range 4s and above. The reason is that I don't want to give Porsche any excuse to void my CPO warranty, even if the issues occurred prior to my ownership. I have heard horror stories...

The car is awesome and exceeds my expectations as a DD. The best part of the CPO is that I will have piece of mind for 2 years, and will then "upgrade" to another CPO Porsche...

Go for it!

-Blake
Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
I thought you can buy a factory CPO from any Porsche dealer as long as the car in question is still under warranty.
You cannot unless you're buying the car through the dealer. I know b/c I asked a couple weeks ago.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
2 year/50k CPO warranty is plenty IMHO for a car with 31K on the odometer. I just purchased a CPO '06 C2S Cab from a dealer outside NYC with 25K miles. I had them send me about 30 high-def pictures of the car which passed my "visual" test. I then flew up with check in hand to look at the car, and was pleasantly surprised by its condition. Everything checked out, so I purchased it that day and drove it home.

Other than pictures, one important thing to look at is the DME read out (# of ignitions at each RPM range). I wanted a car that did not have any Range 4s and above. The reason is that I don't want to give Porsche any excuse to void my CPO warranty, even if the issues occurred prior to my ownership. I have heard horror stories...

The car is awesome and exceeds my expectations as a DD. The best part of the CPO is that I will have piece of mind for 2 years, and will then "upgrade" to another CPO Porsche...

Go for it!

-Blake
Now THAT'S what I want to hear! The dealer's photos look terrific. The car is a tiptronic so I won't need a DME. It's $5000 undervalued and has a Porsche 2 year warranty. I have to see it!! I hope it's as nice as yours.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I will only drive the 997 around 5000 miles a year, so 31,000 miles won't handicap me.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind OP went to NYC with cheque in hand. He did not buy sight unseen. The pictures were enough to satisfy him that it was worth the trip and if the car checked out, complete the sale.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:17 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I already said I love the photos. I will be phoning the owner of the Porsche store tomorrow. If I like what I hear, I'm there. Blizzard: stay away!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Last year I bought an '09 C2S from a dealer in SoCal without seeing it, similar to what you describe. It had only about 9k miles on it so I knew it couldn't be too trashed.

Overall I was very happy with the purchase, with only a couple of minor issues.

I assumed it would have the OEM tires on it, but no. For some reason the PO had put all-season tires on it. WTF is up with that? All season tires on a P-car in SoCal? So I ended up replacing the tires shortly after I bought it.

Second - there are a number of very fine scratches in the paint, like somebody wiped it down with a dirty towel. Can be buffed out and I would have bought the car anyway, but if I had seen them I might have negotiated a full detail or another $500 off the price.

So anyway - it can be done but in retrospect I wish I had flown down and looked at the car myself.
Did the same with my 1st Porsche a 1999 996 which I bought online sight unsee other than the pics cause I loved th color (Arena red) which was difficult to find. Actually bought it while overseas had my wife take them a check and one of my buddies drive it home with her. Car was great but beware...ended up spending about $2200 on it within a few months on a replacement coolant tank when it started overheating and leaking coolant, repair of a few oil lines from an impact/accident I didn't know had happened (found the damage when they were in there checking out the coolant leak) and an annual service. This of course all occurred after I took it to an independant shop to figure out why it was running hot.

So I'd be cautious and at minimum ask for a copy of the CPO report (if it was a Porsche dealer) and definately ask for a pre-purchase inspection by a Porsche dealer IF it were being sold by a non-Porsche dealership. I'd even go as far as asking a fellow rennlister to go buy and check it out for you. Has been done often and many times you can find someone close by who can check it out for you. Good luck!

Oh {BTW PJorgen I also love your car in your sign/avatar. Looks familiar!

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 997 sight unseen