Sponsored by:

Purchasing a 997 sight unseen

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by At Law
I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a 997 without seeing it first.

There are 30k miles Porsches that look like they just came off the showroom, and then there are those that look like they're ready for the boneyard.

Something as simple as the smell in the interior could make or break a deal for me. You saw what happened to Seinfeld's 5 Series when he left it with a valet for a couple of hours.
Ha! Ha! Ummm... yeah. One of my favorite episodes!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

bought mine sight unseen - great experience

as advertised, as new, great deal and easy transaction

CPO thru Apr 2014!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
Thanks. The car I'm looking at has 31,000 miles, CPO and is a lease return-so I doubt if the "owner" cared very much-but the photos look nice.
Tell them to send you pictures of anything about the car that doesn't look like new. Different angles and different lighting of the paint so you can see any swirls. You don't need pictures of the good parts of the car.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I just bought the T4S sight unseen and was actually better than I imagined it would be. It has ~1.5 months left on the warranty and I'm debating whether or not to buy an aftermarket warranty. I never recommend buying a car sight unseen and/or not having a PPI done but, the circumstances around this car were such that I was completely comfortable not having a PPI done or seeing it b/f I pulled the trigger. Generally speaking, most people's description of a car is inaccurate. I have bought a lot of cars sight unseen some w/o PPI but most with having a PPI plus as someone suggests above, having a knowledgeable forum member put their eyes on it.

Each circumstance is different. If at any point you get a bad feeling about the car, walk away and look for another.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In 2006 I bought my new Cabriolet site unseen from a Porsche dealer in Virginia that was going out of business. However they were keeping the BMW side of the house open. It was the best transaction of any car purchase I have made in 40 years. I was going to pay cash for the deal but my bank said to get a loan from them so they could do the paperwork & not pay any Virginia taxes. Once all title, tag, money transfer paperwork cleared I payed off the loan. The extra couple dollars for a five day loan was well worth it. You still have to pay the Florida taxes but you are not stuck with the other states taxes. I drove to Virginia in one day with the trade in & the next morning I was driving out of the dealership with the top down and the V-1 resting on my right thigh until I got out of Virginia. I'm still amazed at how well the V-1 worked. The one bad thing was I had to have a Virginia inspection sticker on the car before it they could let it off the lot, but I did not have a front plate & I had a rear Florida plate.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

My first was bought via pictures. I talked with and emailed the seller for a couple of weeks before I flew to Tampa to pick up my 1996 993 C4S.

My second was a 2004 40th that I bought as from a dealership as a CPO'ed car. I spoke with the original owner (a cardiologist trading in on a R8) and he even faxed me copies of his records. I never saw the car in person until the enclosed trailer dropped it off at my house.

I'm looking at a car right now....assuming PPI goes well will probably buy it sight unseen as well.

If you use due diligence you will probably be okay.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could ask one of the members to take a look at the car for you. I don't think you will find more AR people anywhere else. Then you could fly there, take a final look, AND.....drive it back. I've read countless stories of the great experience of driving the car back, quite like an adventure. Cheers.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Tell them to send you pictures of anything about the car that doesn't look like new. Different angles and different lighting of the paint so you can see any swirls. You don't need pictures of the good parts of the car.
Okay, thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
You could ask one of the members to take a look at the car for you. I don't think you will find more AR people anywhere else. Then you could fly there, take a final look, AND.....drive it back. I've read countless stories of the great experience of driving the car back, quite like an adventure. Cheers.
Very enjoyable. I flew to Chicago to buy my 997--I wanted to see it in person before I purchased it.

I bought plane tickets for a friend and me and we visited another friend in Chicago--did some shopping and ate at a couple of great restaurants for the weekend--and drove the new purchase 500 miles back to Omaha.

A great bonding experence with the new car.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alstoy
My son-in-law lives a stone's throw from the Porsche dealership, but he is going to Colorado this coming week because his kids are off from school. He is a car nut too! He has a nice Ferrari, among other toys.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:15 PM
larman2001
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
the last 4 Porsches that I bought have all been unseen except for photos.
have never been disappointed!
i live in Montreal, all the cars came from far away in U.S.
Just ask all the right questions. is all the paint original? example
Also bought mine sight unseen, with the exception of a Youtube video from the salesman. I was mostly happy with the car.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Nokona
Intermediate

I bought a new 2009 C2S cabriolet from the Porsche dealership in Jackson, MS in November, 2010. I bought it sight unseen as well. The car had 175 miles on it. I was given photos and promised the exterior paint was perfect, no scratches, no dents, etc. The car was shipped to me. When it arrived, I found a chip out of the front bumper (looked like a rock hit it) and a deep (to metal) circular scratch on the top of the left rear quarterpanel. I went back to the dealer, and was told, despite the fact that they had told me in writing the paint was perfect, "there was no room in the deal to pay for the body work". I argued but really had no bargaining position. I absolutely love the car, paid to get the body work done myself ($1000) locally. This is the second Porsche I have purchased sight unseen, the previous experience outstanding (different Porsche dealer). But, this has taught me to take the time, buy a plane ticket, and go see the car before finalizing a purchase.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:46 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I left a voicemail that I want to see the car. I absolutely hate flying and returning on the same day. I just got finished doing that to see a 911 in New Orleans. The flight to New Orleans was an hour late. Luckily I booked plenty of time between coming and going.

Oh well-Florida to NYC and back to Florida. Maybe he will put me out of my misery and tell me he sold it.....NO! Don't do that!!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

There are some very nice cars out there and there are a few questionable ones with CPO. I'd feel a bit more comfortable if another person or myself could put eyes on the car.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's one thing to buy an extremely low mileage car sight unseen after due diligence. Buying a 30,000 mile lease car is another. Remember it's always buyer beware. Would I buy the car you describe, sight unseen, definitely not.
Furthermore this car would have to be extremely cheap for me to fly up there to see it.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 997 sight unseen