Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 yrs 75k warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not seen any warranties that want to pay for brake pads , wiper blades ect. , that can wear out due to overuse or whatever. The factory warranties on new cars can cover normal wear items, but extended warranties ,NON CPO, usually do not.
I'm looking for major mechanical and major electrical coverage, not the wear items that I stay on top of anyway.
I think Fidelity is supposed to be one of the best warranties out there, but if it covers those wear items and cost 3 times as much, I'll stick with what I bought. My Shop in STL gave the warranty a big thumbs up as well.

jason
Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Timely subject Jason. I'm going to be in the market for on as well in about a month when the factory warranty runs out on our new T4S.

Question about the negotiated labor rate: Are they going to try and knock down the shop's regular rate to a point where the shop will no longer want to do warranty work on your car?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM
pewter82
Drifting

According to my shop, Reid Vann in STL, the only thing that ever comes up is the amount of time allowed to fix a certain item. My warrranty goes by the shop manual time allowed, not so much a hr. rate issue I am told.
Both parties have seen eye to eye in recent years.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
I've not seen any warranties that want to pay for brake pads , wiper blades ect. , that can wear out due to overuse or whatever. The factory warranties on new cars can cover normal wear items, but extended warranties ,NON CPO, usually do not.
I'm looking for major mechanical and major electrical coverage, not the wear items that I stay on top of anyway.
I think Fidelity is supposed to be one of the best warranties out there, but if it covers those wear items and cost 3 times as much, I'll stick with what I bought. My Shop in STL gave the warranty a big thumbs up as well.

jason
How the Fidelity warranty defines "breakdown" is: any part which fails as a result of a defect in materials or workmanship; or as a result of a gradual decline in performance due to normal wear-and-tear under 50,000 miles.

So the concern is not for brake pads and wipers, it's for them having the possibility of saying "hmm, well, that IMS bearing gradually declined in performance due to normal wear and tear, until it finally broke apart at 51,000 miles...so coverage for a new engine is denied". I'm not saying they will say that, only that they could.

OTOH the warranty I bought defines it thusly: "Breakdown means the event caused by the total failure of any Covered Part to work as it was designed to work in normal service, including normal wear and tear."
Old 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM
pewter82
Drifting

I see what your saying.

My warranty defines Breakdown
"the failure of any original or like replacement part covered by this agreement to perform its intended function (s) in normal service, providing it has recieved customary maintenance as recommended by the manufacturer in the owners manual. Breakdown does NOT include the gradual reduction in operating performance caused by wear and tear where a failure has not occured."

Technically its like a birth of a human...we are all dying at some rate after birth. So an engine, has a life expectancy from date of manufacture at a gradual rate...
I think for an example, thats to keep someone from going in to replace the IMS before it fails.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the IMS is not a wear and tear item.

its not the scope of this site to discuss insurance law. Laws which were written by lawyers for lawyers and we all know what that entails. You guys should read P&C contracts, but i will spare you the details.

Pewter what is it exactly that youre afraid of?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Nothing really, I was just answering his reply.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good luck. I wish i was a CU member.

Quick Reply: 5 yrs 75k warranty