Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle from center tunnel under ashtray/handbrake

Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rattle from center tunnel under ashtray/handbrake

Before you suggest, its not the ashtray, the cigarette lighter, the flashlight in the cig lighter, nor the stuff in the ashtray (back end keychain for the flashlight in the cig lighter, or the eyeglass cloth). I removed them all and put them aside and there is still a sharp, almost metal on metal or metal on plastic rattle.

2009 997.2

When driving on rough pavement (ie the normal interstate roads round the Puget Sound). I'm sure its something under that area of the handbrake or along that tunnel. Putting additional mass and pressure on the plastic cover (ie the center trim) quiets the rattle by dampening the vibration.

Anyone have a clue what it could be? A set bolt backing loose from a brake/gear cable adjuster?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That area houses gear shift cables and assembly. Stock (non-cup) cable has plastic connecting ends that could induce some rattle. If this is the case you should feel some play when changing gears (assuming manual car). Otherwise it could be as simple as a broken off piece/clip of plastic housing.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Mikok - Do you have PDK or 6MT? If PDK, make sure it's not coming from the PDK shift trim. What I had was more like a buzz, metal on metal rattle that only occurred on rough surfaced roads. Pressing on the PDK shift trim (near the PDK shifter) silenced the buzz. I upgraded the factory plastic PDK trim with the leather one and the buzz went away by itself.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

I had a similar rough-road-induced buzz coming from the center console area.
It was the metal "cigarette snuffing circle" in the ashtray itself buzzing at high speeds on less-than-smooth surfaces.
Removed the little circle, which can be separated from the ashtray. All fixed.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TooSixy
@Mikok - Do you have PDK or 6MT? If PDK, make sure it's not coming from the PDK shift trim. What I had was more like a buzz, metal on metal rattle that only occurred on rough surfaced roads. Pressing on the PDK shift trim (near the PDK shifter) silenced the buzz. I upgraded the factory plastic PDK trim with the leather one and the buzz went away by itself.
I've got a 6spd manual, but there are trim bits around the shifter too. I'll see if I can 'touch' various other parts and see if its them. I'm suspecting something with the cables below , but it could be anything... with the glass Targa roof, I initially thought it was the roof, but putting my hand on the center plastic tunnel would not silence a sound from the roof.. the sound just went up and reflected from there.

I know its not ashtray/cig extinguisher related, as I had pulled the whole ashtray out of the slot and the buzz continued. Once I find out what it is, I'll report back.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Tracking down the source of an interior "noise" is tricky.
As you've already posted, what sounds like it's coming from one place is usually bouncing off that place from some other spot. Arrrgh.

But - when you DO find it, and FIX it - that's a great feeling. Or, you could always turn up the sound system.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 AM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My '06 S has a part time vibration from the flat black piece in front of the shift lever. I can push on the piece of plastic, directly in front of the storage bin and the vibration stops.

The niose is more pronounced when everything is cold. It usually goes away when the interior warms up.

Tony
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Before you suggest, its not the ashtray, the cigarette lighter, the flashlight in the cig lighter, nor the stuff in the ashtray (back end keychain for the flashlight in the cig lighter, or the eyeglass cloth). I removed them all and put them aside and there is still a sharp, almost metal on metal or metal on plastic rattle.

2009 997.2

When driving on rough pavement (ie the normal interstate roads round the Puget Sound). I'm sure its something under that area of the handbrake or along that tunnel. Putting additional mass and pressure on the plastic cover (ie the center trim) quiets the rattle by dampening the vibration.

Anyone have a clue what it could be? A set bolt backing loose from a brake/gear cable adjuster?
+1 for the same rattle! I am afraid to dismantle everything around there and do NOT want to take it to the dealer after what they did to passenger seat the last time they worked on something in the interior.

I will buy a beer to whoever posts the solution!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just bought a 997.1 and it has a rattle from the button that releases the e-brake. Anybody have a solution for this?
TIA
Doug
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

There is an electrical umbilical that runs the length of the console and is 'taped' into several locations. Could be simply the tape let go. You may be able to feel this along the underside by remove the e-brake insert and/or ashtray.

I'll try to get some images tomorrow. I think we have a full console with electrical in our warehouse.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I got the buzz too!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think it's a loose electrical harness, but your pics would be great to help me understand the possibility. It literally appears to be that the button one depresses to release the brake is loose and then rattles with vibration from the road. I tried to turn it gently but it doesn't appear to screw in.

Holli82, do you have exactly the same problem?

Doug
Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a buzz there. It sounds like another garbage speaker grille, but is located in the parking brake area. In fact, when I rest my hand on the parking brake, no noise.

I fixed it by resting my right shoe on the gas pedal, with extreme prejudice.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
I don't think it's a loose electrical harness, but your pics would be great to help me understand the possibility. It literally appears to be that the button one depresses to release the brake is loose and then rattles with vibration from the road. I tried to turn it gently but it doesn't appear to screw in.

Holli82, do you have exactly the same problem?

Doug
My buzz is at the base of my PDK shifter. Only present oncertain roads which are not smooth.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
... I know its not ashtray/cig extinguisher related, as I had pulled the whole ashtray out of the slot and the buzz continued. Once I find out what it is, I'll report back.
Loose coins?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle from center tunnel under ashtray/handbrake