Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Here is an underside shot of the console showing the umbilical described above:

Check to see if it's taped down in the right places....

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the 2009 997.2 Targa 4 in for service this past month and the dealer thought they knew what it was. Since it is very prominent in winter (cold) on the rough road, now in summer it was not as reproducible.

The service guy thought it was the Targa roof button assembly that controls the sun screen and roof. The thought was its not sized right or loose, and it is what is vibrating. So they replaced that button assembly.

Once winter gets here and I'm driving the rough concrete surface of I-90 in cold weather with the winter tires on again, I'll be able to see if that really was it.

I have not looked under the covers to see if the taped regions would be it, so that is still a possibility. Whats the process of removing that cover properly?
Old 09-27-2014, 03:16 PM
curryman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2009 Targa 4S

Hi Minok

You posted this awhile back below. I have the same problem. Was what was needed to fix it. Thanks

2009 997.2

When driving on rough pavement (ie the normal interstate roads round the Puget Sound). I'm sure its something under that area of the handbrake or along that tunnel. Putting additional mass and pressure on the plastic cover (ie the center trim) quiets the rattle by dampening the vibration.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Curryman, I believe what they replaced was either the surround trim or the entire switch assembly that controls the roof. It snaps into a hole in the center tunnel trim by the handbrake, and that part was slightly rattling in the trim - not seated as tightly. You might also be able to pop it out, add a wrap of some friction tape and re-seat it in a more tight fashion. I've not taken mine apart so I don't know the exact nature of removing the switch or into how many parts it may break down into.

Quick Reply: Rattle from center tunnel under ashtray/handbrake