Sponsored by:

Dash cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dash cover removal

Has anyone here removed their dash cover? My 06 C2S Cab has developed a creaking noise up under the left corner dash cover in recent months. Today I did some minor exploratory surgery to track down the source. After removing the instrument cluster, left air vent, and defroster strip in front of the windshield, I traced the noise to under the cover near the left corner little speaker. I could create the creaking sound by reaching inside the cluster area and flexing the dash cover. I stuffed a small piece of silicone-dampened cloth between the dash cover and the metal underneath, immediately behind the little speaker. While my initial manual testing suggested I may have licked the problem, I found on my test drive that there is still the noise there when driving. So it appears I may have to remove the cover to place some felts under it. The manual I have covers some of the process, but not all of it. It definitely looks pretty involved (remove center stack, lower dash, instrument cluster, air vents, etc etc. )

Has anyone done it, or am I crazy to try?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe these guys have some experience. See the post here:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-pictures.html

Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL. Yes, I saw that thread. Amazing stuff, but I don't really want to gut the interior of the car to fix a squeak. These guys are obviously pros. I was looking for an example of a DIY'er like me.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Has anyone here removed their dash cover? My 06 C2S Cab has developed a creaking noise up under the left corner dash cover in recent months. Today I did some minor exploratory surgery to track down the source. After removing the instrument cluster, left air vent, and defroster strip in front of the windshield, I traced the noise to under the cover near the left corner little speaker. I could create the creaking sound by reaching inside the cluster area and flexing the dash cover. I stuffed a small piece of silicone-dampened cloth between the dash cover and the metal underneath, immediately behind the little speaker. While my initial manual testing suggested I may have licked the problem, I found on my test drive that there is still the noise there when driving. So it appears I may have to remove the cover to place some felts under it. The manual I have covers some of the process, but not all of it. It definitely looks pretty involved (remove center stack, lower dash, instrument cluster, air vents, etc etc. )

Has anyone done it, or am I crazy to try?
That sounds like more than I would be comfortable taking on myself, good luck!

Quick Reply: Dash cover removal