Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@#$%ing Rodents

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
gt2r
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAD EVEN A BIGER PROBLEM..BATTERY CABLES, SPARK PLUG WIRES, BREAK LINES WERE ALL CHEWED..I NEVER COULD TRUST WHAT I COULD NOT FIND

FYI--GLUE TRAPS WORK BEST, BUT I USE MULTIPLE TRAPS WITH PEANUT BUTTER, DECON AND SOME OF THE PLASTIC BOXES BAITED WITH PEANUT BUTTER. THE LASTDOESN'T KILL THEM CAUSE YOU CAN RELEASE THEM, BUT THE GLUE TRAPS ON THE FLOOR ALONG A CORNER WORKS BEST
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I use a trap at each tire with peanut butter. If there are mice, they will find the peanut butter and they will not be able to resist... I now also use the electronic mouse repellant. It seems to work now that the traps have remained "un-snapped". Reminder - If you do catch mice replace the traps until your traps remain empty ( un-snapped).
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The use of peanut butter is a myth - you don't need to use it as bait in the traps. It doesn't work any better than a handful of oatmeal, plus, w/ oatmeal you won't attract ants or any other insect that may be attracted to the sugars in PB. (It's not very often that I get to speak with authority about something here but I'm a Wildlife Biologist and it's from experience in baiting and locating live traps and museum specials that I can tell you PB isn't necessary.)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
DWF
Intermediate

This just happened to my neighbors car last week along with an expensive repair bill. I had our rodent service check out our garage afterwards and there were no signs but I think I'm going to go the permanent trap route as a precaution.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
csorrows
Instructor

When I lived in Colorado, I started having mouse problems because the builder of the house I bought didn't seal some of the cracks in the framing between the garage and the rest of the house. The mice were coming in through cracks in the garage doors, and then slipping through the other cracks to get inside the house. I sealed up the cracks in the garage with that foam sealant stuff, but still had mice inside the house to deal with.

I've been through a variety of mouse traps through the years. The old fashioned snap traps, glue traps, the plastic "pac man" type spring loaded traps, etc. But none was better than this one:

Victor Electronic Mouse Trap (they also have one for rats) http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m2524

Click on the second picture to see the actual trap.

This thing was the BEST trap I've ever used, bar none. I put one in the garage, and one inside the house, and each day for the next week, every time I came home after work, each had caught a mouse and killed it.

It runs off batteries, and I used some mouse attractant (peanut butter would probably work, too) in the back to attract the mice. When they enter and run over the electric strips, they get electrocuted and die instantly. No mess, either. Just open the lid, dump them out, and reset it. No joke, I caught at least 15 mice with these things, and didn't have any more mouse problems after that. I got all the ones inside the house, but would still catch some in the garage from time to time. And the batteries lasted a long time, too.

I can't recommend this trap enough. It worked far better than anything else I ever used. Glue traps worked well, too, but they're messy and you have to keep replacing them. With this electronic trap (I nicknamed it "The Sizzler" - LOL) you never have to replace it.

Well worth the money - I HIGHLY recommend them.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The use of peanut butter is a myth - you don't need to use it as bait in the traps. It doesn't work any better than a handful of oatmeal, plus, w/ oatmeal you won't attract ants or any other insect that may be attracted to the sugars in PB. (It's not very often that I get to speak with authority about something here but I'm a Wildlife Biologist and it's from experience in baiting and locating live traps and museum specials that I can tell you PB isn't necessary.)
What is your opinion on moth ***** and peppermint oil as repellents?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
I've been through a variety of mouse traps through the years. The old fashioned snap traps, glue traps, the plastic "pac man" type spring loaded traps, etc. But none was better than this one:

Victor Electronic Mouse Trap (they also have one for rats) http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m2524

Click on the second picture to see the actual trap.

This thing was the BEST trap I've ever used, bar none. I put one in the garage, and one inside the house, and each day for the next week, every time I came home after work, each had caught a mouse and killed it.

It runs off batteries, and I used some mouse attractant (peanut butter would probably work, too) in the back to attract the mice. When they enter and run over the electric strips, they get electrocuted and die instantly. No mess, either. Just open the lid, dump them out, and reset it. No joke, I caught at least 15 mice with these things, and didn't have any more mouse problems after that. I got all the ones inside the house, but would still catch some in the garage from time to time. And the batteries lasted a long time, too.

I can't recommend this trap enough. It worked far better than anything else I ever used. Glue traps worked well, too, but they're messy and you have to keep replacing them. With this electronic trap (I nicknamed it "The Sizzler" - LOL) you never have to replace it.

Well worth the money - I HIGHLY recommend them.
Interesting. I may pick one up. They are available from Amazon for under $20.

Victor mouse trap on Amazon
Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I think i saw a mice other day in my garage when it was -2 deg outside - next day bought 4 traps with poison and 3 spring loaded traps with bait - so far in 2 weeks they are all empty. i used pieces of sausage as a bait, it is an interesting idea to put some peanut butter on top of it.
I would not use poision. If the rodents eat it they can die in walls of the garage, house, or even in the car. Oh the smell...

Use traps. When you pick up a trap with a dead mouse or rat at least you know where the body ends up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
What is your opinion on moth ***** and peppermint oil as repellents?
Does it matter if the moth ***** are para-dichlorobenzene or naphthalene?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I would not use poision. If the rodents eat it they can die in walls of the garage, house, or even in the car. Oh the smell...

Use traps. When you pick up a trap with a dead mouse or rat at least you know where the body ends up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
right... did not think about that...
i got that victor electro one from amazon. will see how it will do.

i would hate to get my car eaten.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Does it matter if the moth ***** are para-dichlorobenzene or naphthalene?
Let's ask our resident wildlife biologist Tcc1999.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As mentioned, having had pet rodents (and they, especially rats, make very good pets.. but those are not the wild ones)... peanut butter is the best bait for its irresistibly and the fact that it sticks so well to the mechanical trap.

Use the mechanical spring traps... that is most effective, safest and most humane way of controlling rodents. Then there are cats, which work well to keep the critters away in general.. and sealing up the holes (gaps around garage doors if the problem is inside, grass seed can attract rodents, etc) that allow entry.

Snakes just gives you a snake problem in your car.

Use of poisons is fraught with problems: other creatures can end up with the poison in them, as they may eat a poisoned mouse/rat, the mouse may die in a place you cannot get to: think about the smell of a rotting mouse in a space back in your dash/frunk/vent system, and its just cruel (which usually doesn't appeal to most people, I know, but is true non-the-less)
Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM
ClaylG
Instructor

I never gave much thought to rats in the garage, until this thread. My Victor Electronic Mouse Trap is due to arrive next week.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
As mentioned, having had pet rodents (and they, especially rats, make very good pets.. but those are not the wild ones)... peanut butter is the best bait for its irresistibly and the fact that it sticks so well to the mechanical trap.

Use the mechanical spring traps... that is most effective, safest and most humane way of controlling rodents. Then there are cats, which work well to keep the critters away in general.. and sealing up the holes (gaps around garage doors if the problem is inside, grass seed can attract rodents, etc) that allow entry.

Snakes just gives you a snake problem in your car.

Use of poisons is fraught with problems: other creatures can end up with the poison in them, as they may eat a poisoned mouse/rat, the mouse may die in a place you cannot get to: think about the smell of a rotting mouse in a space back in your dash/frunk/vent system, and its just cruel (which usually doesn't appeal to most people, I know, but is true non-the-less)
I agree with your observations. My kids had pet rats (curiously our dogs and cats accepted them as members of the household) and it's one reason why in our family more humane methods of capture are mandated. I'd hate for my lab to get hold of a poisoned rodent and even a snootful of a sticky trap would be unpleasant for all involved. The repeating spring trap I use has been very successful so far at catching the mice and it doesn't put Annie (the lab) at risk.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:22 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by ClaylG
I never gave much thought to rats in the garage, until this thread. My Victor Electronic Mouse Trap is due to arrive next week.
Cool - let us know how it works out. I had such great success with mine, I go out of my way to let people know about them whenever I see somebody talk about a mouse problem.

Mine worked so well, I never had to replace the attractant because the mice ate it. I only replaced it every few days because it would get hard (especially the trap I left in the garage), and I figured replacing it with fresh attractant would work better.

Quick Reply: @#$%ing Rodents