Panamera Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera Winter Driving

I know this is the 997 forum, but as I drove in today, through the East Coast wintry mix, with my winter tires in my R32 AWD, I see not one, but two Panameras coming in the opposite direction.
That alone is a rare sight, but even rarer I would think in the snow.

I know the Porsche is trying to capture some of the luxury 4 door sedan market, but I'm betting that these drivers have no idea what they are getting into.

I believe these vehicles are riding on the same high performance Michelin's and Perilli's as our 911's, and I'm thinking more than a few will wind up in trouble before the season is out.
How many do you think just assume their 4 door is just another daily driver, as is, out the door ?
Perry
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The Panamera 4 and 4s are actually really good in the snow - many come with all season tires on them. They are excellent with snow tires. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
jwins
Intermediate

There are a number of us who drive our 911's year round in the NE. It's quite possible the Panamera drivers also have snow tires. After the last few weeks of snow and ice, I'd be surprised if there is anyone left in the NE who doesn't know what they are getting into.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
I know this is the 997 forum, but as I drove in today, through the East Coast wintry mix, with my winter tires in my R32 AWD, I see not one, but two Panameras coming in the opposite direction.
That alone is a rare sight, but even rarer I would think in the snow.

I know the Porsche is trying to capture some of the luxury 4 door sedan market, but I'm betting that these drivers have no idea what they are getting into.

I believe these vehicles are riding on the same high performance Michelin's and Perilli's as our 911's, and I'm thinking more than a few will wind up in trouble before the season is out.
How many do you think just assume their 4 door is just another daily driver, as is, out the door ?
Perry
Panamera is a great DD car. I tested one and I loved it. it goes great.

too bad it is too pricey for my money. But if one does not care to spend a $100K on a daily beater - by all means it is a heck of a car.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my Panamera 4S specifically to use it as my winter ski car. The 20" Pilot Sports come off, the 18" Sottozeros go on. I live in SoCal where snow (almost) never falls, but I commute to Mammoth where it snows a lot. I haven't had it in an actual snow storm yet, but in cold and icy conditions it does great. I've previously owned a long string of Audi Quattros as ski cars and it appears this will be comparable.

DMoore
'09 C2S (soon to be replaced by an '11 GTS)
'10 P4S
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Porsche has had some issues what people were expecting for tires on the Panamera. I believe originally they were all coming with summer tires and only the 19 wheels allowed a requested option for all season tires. However I was told that changed recently with the default being all season and the option for for summer tires.

My sense is the "average" Panamera owner is certainly not the same as a 911 owner, in terms of knowledge and involvement with the machine.

I've recently spent a lot of time considering a Panamera 4, and I agree it's pricey. And I too loved it. Great drive. For a number of personal reasons, thinking I'm going in a different direction though.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Almost any cars can be used in winter if they have proper winter tires. In a few years when Panameras are everywhere, you will not be so surprise anymore.

Our Panamera 4 is daily driver in any weather condition.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM
racer
Drifting

While its certainly possible some of these Panamera have less than ideal snow/winter tires, the same is true for many high $$ sedans.. think RS Quattros, BMW X drive sedans etc. Many of these cars come equipped with "summer tires" and iirc, the Audis are very blatant in this regard about needing dedicated winter tires to maximize the Quattro experience.

Not sure an AWD Panamera on All seasons is any worse than the droves of RWD bmw etc I've seen sitting backwards on the snow
Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 PM
cks2thdr
2nd Gear

new to this forum and need help please. was ready to order another vehicle and stopped in and test drove panamera 4. i live in northeast - western new york. need to hear honest feedback on safety and handling in snow. this will be my all year round vehicle. thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak personally, but know of a guy out here in Utah that traded in his 997 for a Panamera last year and couldn't be happier. He commutes daily from Park City to Salt Lake CIty (70+ miles RT) which is a BIG deal. We got 450+ inches of snow this past winter, and that trip has a total elevation change of 6000+ feet. My DD is a Land Rover, and most people drive SUVs or Subarus. The Panamera will be a great car in the snow, though you should still add winter tires (M+S) for that time of year. It is all about vehicle weight and tires in the snow...

Good luck.

-B
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
cks2thdr
2nd Gear

B...thanks so much, this info helps a lot...C
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

We have not driven in the snow yet, but our Panamera 4 is one sweet car.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 PM
PorscheFanNoMore
1st Gear

Angry Panamera Turbo in snow No Go !

While this car is a pleasure to drive on a dry road it is HORRIBLE in even 2" of snow. With my left 2 wheels on pavement and my right 2 wheels in 4-5" of snow the right wheels spun and dug holes in the snow. I was forced to rock the car back & forth in order to get free and this was barely effective. I'll stick with a Mercedes 4-matic. This occurred with Porsche recommended snow tires.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheFanNoMore
While this car is a pleasure to drive on a dry road it is HORRIBLE in even 2" of snow. With my left 2 wheels on pavement and my right 2 wheels in 4-5" of snow the right wheels spun and dug holes in the snow. I was forced to rock the car back & forth in order to get free and this was barely effective. I'll stick with a Mercedes 4-matic. This occurred with Porsche recommended snow tires.
Go figure. I had my Panny 4S in a couple of storms in Mammoth last winter. With 18" wheels and Pirelli Sottozero snow tires the car did great. I've had a long list of Audi Quattro's over the years and the Panamera was just as good in the snow as any Quattro I've owned.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Last edited by DMoore; 11-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

I picked up a snow set up for our Pana 4. I look forward to trying the car out in the white stuff.
I now have some snows for my C4S as well. I'm dreaming of some snow covered empty parking lots for that car.

Quick Reply: Panamera Winter Driving