Test drove a 997: need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drove a 997: need some advice

I have started my quest for a 997.

Today I test drove this 997.1 2005 Carrera.

THIS IS THE CAR

First question: when I tried to shift into first, sometimes it wouldn't go in. I had to pull the shifter back to neutral and then try again. It wasn't grinding or anything, but I felt resistance. Is that normal?

Second question: the shifts never felt clean, meaning I always felt little "clicks" while shifting into gear. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Marlon
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

If the car was cold that is possible. Have it fully checked by a trusted P-car mechanic.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

My 2007 997.1 S had the same symptom since I bought it new from the dealer with only a few miles on the odometer. Search this forum, you will find that it is normal and no worry about it. This difficult-to-shift-into-first-from-neutral only 'sometimes' happens when the engine/transmission is cold, once the car warms up it should be working perfectly and smoothly.

As for the 'clicks' when shifting between gears, I would need to hear it to know if something is wrong. However, a small and nice 'click' 'click' feeling when shifting between gears is normal in these cars.

Regards,
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't understand why it had to have a new clutch installed at 30,000 miles. Maybe at 130,000 miles, but not 30,000 miles.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I don't understand why it had to have a new clutch installed at 30,000 miles. Maybe at 130,000 miles, but not 30,000 miles.
Agreed.
Previous driver was clearly an uber-noober.
Find another car.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If during the PPI the DME readout doesn't disclose over revs in ignitions 4-5-6, a new clutch in itself shouldn't deter you from buying this car. I'd actually consider it a bonus as now you know it's fresh for you to work with.

Feeling the 1st gear lockout is not uncommon with the 997 box. Does the car have the factory sport shift kit ?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Yes, it has the factory short shifter.

The clutch replacement did ring an alarm bell in my head. But I'd need to know the history as to why.

I'm going to pass this car, as I really want a late (June) 06 model. Seems they are less IMS failure prone.

Marlon
Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86

First question: when I tried to shift into first, sometimes it wouldn't go in. I had to pull the shifter back to neutral and then try again. It wasn't grinding or anything, but I felt resistance. Is that normal?

Second question: the shifts never felt clean, meaning I always felt little "clicks" while shifting into gear. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Marlon
avoid 2005 cars, start from 2006 and be sure you get CPO warranty with a car.

as of 1st gear issue - some cars got it worse, some cars do not have it so bad. try more cars. on my car it is a middle thing - not a worse as it can be but painful enough to be noticable. I have developed a habit to put gear in second then push into first, like a back-forward motion and it works fine most of the time.

i am not sure what do you mean by 'clicks'. it should resemble a rifle bolt feeling - you move gearbox handle and it literally should feel like moving a bolt that hits limiter, but it should not 'click' or 'grind' when it goes into gear. All gears should feel fine. I would just advice to try more cars and compare your feelings.

make sure when you switch gears to fully depress clutch pedal, always, to the metal.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

normal
Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

avoid newb owned car.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
If during the PPI the DME readout doesn't disclose over revs in ignitions 4-5-6, a new clutch in itself shouldn't deter you from buying this car. I'd actually consider it a bonus as now you know it's fresh for you to work with.

Feeling the 1st gear lockout is not uncommon with the 997 box. Does the car have the factory sport shift kit ?
+2
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Agreed.
Previous driver was clearly an uber-noober.
Find another car.
This is a bad assumption. Both "uber-noobers" and experts can wear friction surfaces like clutches extremely quickly. Racing / tracking, especially with standing starts and difficult renditions of heel-toe downshifts can cause a lot of wear on a clutch. And Porsche's friction surfaces aren't always up to the task - see the behavior of the 997.1 GT3 LSD on track.

It's still a sign the car may have been worked hard, but these are Porsches. They handle that well. Do get it checked out. Do check into why the clutch was replaced. But don't assume it must be something horrible and avoid the car, if you otherwise like it.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86

THIS IS THE CAR

Thanks,

Marlon

New clutch and a warranty. If the DME checks out I would not worry.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

The car I've just bought had a new clutch fitted. The rear main bearing was leaking so whilst the gearbox was off they fitted a new clutch. I was happy I got a new clutch for free. I was pleased the service department used their heads and replaced the clutch at the same time.

Part of the checks I performed on the car involved me talking to the service department. I got them to dig out all the service and warranty work that had been performed on the car. They had replaced the rear main bearing as part of the CPO.

The salesman didn't know about the clutch so couldn't use it in the negotiations.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Maybe the original owner was rendered insomniac by fearmongers and had the IMS bearing replaced with one alleged to be more durable?

Originally Posted by utkinpol
avoid 2005 cars, start from 2006
Yes, by all means subscribe religiously to that bit of hysterical, internet-created petard...unless of course you also subscribe to the hysterical petard of the fearmongering entrepreneur who now alleges the '06-'08s are also rolling in daily with IMS-"grenaded" engines--and those MYs cannot be prophyllactively retrofitted with $600 Kryptonite bearings in the way an '05 can.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 997: need some advice