Sponsored by:

Winter Wheels/Tire thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Winter Wheels/Tire thoughts

Im looking for winter wheel /tire setup advice. im not looking to drive my 09 C4 Targa in the snow. I currently have 19' Turbo wheels with brand new Continental SP3 Summer tires. Do you think I should still get performance snow tires? what size is best? Given the horrible conditions of the roads i think its best to get less expensive wheels? Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do drive my car in the snow (if necessary) but whether I did or not, I would still want winter tires when the temperature goes below 40 degrees (F) -- or, maybe 45-- because ordinary "summer" tires lose their grip below that temperature.

That said, I would not pretend that you should take my advice as to what tires would best suit your needs. Instead, I suggest that you take your questions to a reliable pro. And, yes, I have name for you: Damon from Tire Rack knows tires and Porsches. In my case, I got a set of 18" Michelin Pilot Alpins on some excellent and reasonably priced wheels (Sport Edition Cup 4 Silvers.)

Your needs and best solution may well be different but that is why I suggest that you contact Damon at 800-428-8355*ext. 643 or via email at damon@tirerack.com. He is often here and has supplied tires, wheels and advice to many of us on this board.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
Im looking for winter wheel /tire setup advice. im not looking to drive my 09 C4 Targa in the snow. I currently have 19' Turbo wheels with brand new Continental SP3 Summer tires. Do you think I should still get performance snow tires? what size is best? Given the horrible conditions of the roads i think its best to get less expensive wheels? Thanks
In another thread comparing 18 and 19 wheels, someone (Edgy01) is selling OEM 18inch Carrera 3 wheels for $800... get those and put some Michelin PA2/PA3, or Pirelli Sottozero and you'd be more than happy with your car in Winter.

I got those wheels with PA2 and the car is amazing in cold months. If those wheels are gone, just search around eBay or contact Wheel Enhancements to find an OEM 18s. I'd stay away from cheap chinese HEAVY crappy wheels for your car...

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels/Tire thoughts