Sponsored by:

CTEK 3300 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CTEK 3300 Charger

Tried to start my car after an extended vacation and got only a few cranks. I immediately opened the trunk and was relieved that there was still enough juice to perform that task. The manual trunk release is not a job that I take lightly. Charged and started with a charger that I had. Then searched the trickle chargers. Bought the CTEK on ebay. Although my car is driven regularly and the battery is only a year old the heavy snow has put the P car out of action. The CTEK works great. Amazing how a small improvement like this makes me feel so good. Good price and fast shipping from Woody's Custom Shop. No affiliation.

www.woodyscustomshop.com
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep it plugged in at all times. Easy to do. Never use a charger. Only a battery maintainer. BIG difference.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on CTEK
Old 01-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

+2 on CTEK (I also have two; 3300 and 7002)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that true that even the battery is dead, you can still connect a jump cable in the fuse block and use that to pop the frunk? Or is it a 2009+ feature?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Those with the CTEK, I just bought one (I believe the 3300) myself since this is around the time of year that there is constant snow up here. I also got the lighter connection. Do you plug it into the console cigarette lighter? I've heard one or two people mention that they use the one in the passenger footwell. Do both places work?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:19 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Those with the CTEK, I just bought one (I believe the 3300) myself since this is around the time of year that there is constant snow up here. I also got the lighter connection. Do you plug it into the console cigarette lighter? I've heard one or two people mention that they use the one in the passenger footwell. Do both places work?
Use the cig lighter. That's the one that Porsche recommends, too (in the user's manual).
Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfjd
I use a fused connector, provided with my CTEK, hooked up directly to the battery because it works out to be more convenient for me, for reasons I've discussed in other threads on this subject. If you're going to use an interior connection, as TooSixy says, uses the cig lighter.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:24 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

I just bought the Porsche trickle charger( I know it exactly the same as the ctek). Just didn't want to take a chance of voiding my warranty. Works great. This weather sucks. Especially for Porsche owners.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TooSixy
Isn't that true that even the battery is dead, you can still connect a jump cable in the fuse block and use that to pop the frunk? Or is it a 2009+ feature?
Not just a 2009+ feature. Not sure exactly how early, but 2005+ MY owners can too.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

I have a the OEM (CTek-made) charger but rarely use it. If one drives the car at least weekly and drives enough 20-30 miles to replenish charge, there is no need to use the charger. Continuous use of the charger tends to dry out the battery.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Not just a 2009+ feature. Not sure exactly how early, but 2005+ MY owners can too.
Goes back at least to the 01 996 (I had an 01 996 TT) and the battery died under warranty. Had to use the battery charger clipped to the pull out pole in the fuse block to open the trunk, so I could get it started.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I have a the OEM (CTek-made) charger but rarely use it. If one drives the car at least weekly and drives enough 20-30 miles to replenish charge, there is no need to use the charger. Continuous use of the charger tends to dry out the battery.
Actually, I have found exactly the opposite--I never added one drop of water to my Club Coupe's battery in 5 plus years before it died. Water level was right where it should be and I have continuously used the Porsche branded Ctek maintainer from day one.

Also, try this experiment with yours. Drive your car for a long drive (even 100 plus miles); park and plug in the maintainer. Then report your results. I bet you it will be charging, and not just for a few minutes. The power demands on these cars are such that the alternator does not have enough output to power everything on the car and keep the battery fully charged, in my experience.

I also have a 67 Corvette, that I use a Ctek 3300 maintainer on. That car has no electronics and the power demands are minimal (I don't use the radio, rarely use the heater, never use the AC, hope to never need the wipers, and mostly drive during the day so the lights are not used often). I park that one after driving long drives (I don't do short hops), and the battery is fully charged/the Ctek doesn't come on.

That's why I say, the Porsche power demands are more than the alternator can handle and still keep the battery fully charged with regular driving; adequately charged in daily/regular driving, yes. But not fully. The battery won't last as long in a car driven as you describe vs. one that is driven at least once per week and with the maintainer used.

There is no reason not to use the maintainer (if you can) every time you park. I never had the Porsche Moll battery outlast the warranty on my 5 previous Porsches, but it did outlive the warranty period on my Club Coupe, and I attribute that to using the battery maintainer.

If you have one and don't use it, and are leaving your Porsche parked for days (even if less than a week between drives), not sure why as it is so simple to plug in the lighter, shut the car door and you're done. The Ctek will not dry out the battery.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Actually, I have found exactly the opposite--I never added one drop of water to my Club Coupe's battery in 5 plus years before it died. Water level was right where it should be and I have continuously used the Porsche branded Ctek maintainer from day one.
I have seen that first-hand on a different car, and others with Porsches reported it to me. YMMV.

Also, try this experiment with yours. Drive your car for a long drive (even 100 plus miles); park and plug in the maintainer. Then report your results. [/QUOTE]

I have done that and the charger reports full charge. Note that you may have to rotate the charger switch mode settings as its indicator is a bit sluggish - with that I mean it may indicate charging, but if one switches mode the charge status does change. My car ('10 S) idling consumption is not that high. Of course, I do not lock the car in the garage.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My battery is now fully charged and there is a healthy green light on the Ctek. I used the battery clips as the cig lighter is currently out of stock. My truck was closed but not latched. When I checked the clips the trunk light did not come on. Is this normal? Interior lights worked fine

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Charger