Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 2007 C4S - I have future resale concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would update the story. I flew out to Los Angeles at the end of January and took the car for a test drive. The dealer was great, I arrived, he handed me the keys and said take it out for a few hours, go get some lunch or something and get a feel for the car.

The car was in mint condition, looked like new, and was fantastic to drive. They wouldn't budge off $57k but they did throw in enclosed shipping to Houston. I noticed they had originally tried to sell it for $65k. The car had a new clutch as the main seal was leaking and whilst the gearbox was off to repair that they put a new clutch in. I also noticed it had a Tooki bluetooth fitted which works perfectly with my phone. They also performed the 40k service.

The car arrived 3 weeks later. Initially I was going to pay cash but the credit union where I work were offering 2.24% for up to 3 years if I put 20% down. Couldn't say no to an offer like that. No penalty for early repayment either.

Since the car has arrived I've washed it every week. I'm using it as my DD. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 as back up but it's a horrible thing to drive. I've wanted a Porsche 911 since I was a teenager, now 41, so it's a dream come true. Some would call it a mid life crisis. I've decided I don't care about resale value, I'm going to enjoy it for myself and to hell with it.

As others have said, the first week I would sneak down to the garage and look at it. It's fantastic to know it's MINE and it's sat in MY garage. Can't really believe it. Loving the ownership experience so far.

I've fitted clear side markers, 5mm spacers, leather (well okay pleather) stitched console cover with creste, clear bra, 50% 3M tint, aluminium foot rest and the leather bit that fits infront of the gear lever.

Last edited by FiatCoupe; 03-12-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:26 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's a Beauty !
Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I've wanted a Porsche 911 since I was a teenager, now 41, so it's a dream come true. Some would call it a mid life crisis. I've decided I don't care about resale value, I'm going to enjoy it for myself and to hell with it.
What a beauty!! Your above thoughts are the REAL reason you just bought the car of your dreams...not for resale purposes. As you know, an investment in a pcar does not necessarily provide a great financial return when you divest of it but the emotional, psychic and other intangibles of ownership make them priceless! Congrats and best of luck! It's a beauty!

Old 03-12-2011, 03:03 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, the first week I would sneak down to the garage and look at it. It's fantastic to know it's MINE and it's sat in MY garage. Can't really believe it. Loving the ownership experience so far.
For me, 6 months later, that feeling has not changed. I still walk into the garage to get into either the P-car or my wife's car and I still say to myself "Wow!"
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. I've decided I don't care about resale value, I'm going to enjoy it for myself and to hell with it.
Awesome! That's what these cars (and life for that matter) are for!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

The main reason I would upgrade to a 997.2 would be for the extra power. However this could be a very expensive way of increasing the power from 355 to 385 bhp.

I just did a search on the Porsche web site for 2009 models and only non S models are showing up if I limit the search to $70k. I therefore, unfortunately, can't afford to buy a 2009 S model at this point.

I think a better option for me would be to talk to the dealer about getting an after market warranty added to the 2 year CPO and keep the car for 3 or 4 years instead.

The prices for used C2S and C4S don't seem to be that different. I'm not going to be driving the car that hard to really appreciate one or the other. I therefore didn't limit my search to either. I was more concerned about the options fitted. This won't be just a sports car for me, I also want to love being in it.
I'd check other sites..the Porsche web site does not have all a full inventory listed often and is not as up to date as you think. I'd have a local dealer poll national inventory to check for cars meeting your description. At best you should get a hit or two.

Also don't buy the car worried about what it will or will not trade for in 2-3 yrs or more. You have no way of really acurrately predicting that other than it will sell for less than what you paid for it. Buy the car that you'll enjoy and drive her and worry about the rest when the time comes. If resale is that important to you then I agree with what's been said go get a 997.2 base or S car...look hard enough and you'll find one for $70-75k for sure. Also give up the extra leather...looks nice but doesn't add much to resale and I've heard its a bytch to clean! Good luck! Rob
Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

That is one sweet 911. Great choice, living your dream!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 2007 C4S - I have future resale concerns