Sponsored by:

997.2 Bluetooth opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have double checked with the dealer. They said it works the same way as the factory installed option.
Suncoast cost is $699. Add 6.1% import duty, shipping, brokerage, etc.. and I am over the $855(cad tax in) that the local dealer is asking for this part (997-044-902-33). Add three hrs labour and taxes, total comes to about $1400.

I suppose the mic can be mounted anywhere, no?
Clifyon, what do you mean its for PCM only? The little display below the tach would not be integrated?
Yes you can have bluetooth and media adapter added to the 997.2. It is a dealer installed option and they have to activate it thru the coding/software as well but it is possible with PCM 3.0 and also CDR-30 or whatever the new one which came out in the 2009 987 Boxster/Caymans.

Originally Posted by MJones
Not too sure if you can retrofit.
The mic is in the steering column btw

That said, the sound quality is great!
Dialing is accomplished thru the OBD port window under the tach. Your whole phone book can appear!
If you can upgrade, do so!
See above.
Originally Posted by Clifton
PCM is Porsche's factory Navigation. If you don't have, you won't be able to buy the retrofit kit from SunCoast.

Even though the standard radio can be ordered with Bluetooth, if you didn't order it that way, you won't be able to retrofit. From the way it was described to me, the system is esentially sealed "as is". Not sure to what extent that means or if replacing the entire radio would work as another option; albeit expensive.
That is the PCM 3.0 Sat Radio and NAV upgrade you are refering to I think. The NAV function can be added to the car but you do have to replace the whole PCM unit. However IF you do that you will lose the ability to have OEM Sat radio...even if you had it before. The new PCM unit comes with 6 disc changer, Ipod, and bluetooth but NO XM. That is the upgrade Suncoast sells as well as you can procure from your dealer.

Basically the problem as I understand it and have been told by at least 2 dealers is that some of the functions of PCM 3.0 are now moved to the unit and are part of the circuit boards such as the NAV and the XM. That added to the fact that for the 997.2 Porsche decided to hard code many of the functions within the software and coding for the car and PCM 3.0 makes it very difficult if not impossible to just update the cars like could be done with the PCM 2.1 (and my dealer told em I was part of the reason Porsche NA issued a tech bulletin regarding PCM 3.0 Upgrades last Spring 2010 when I tried to have my car done). So by going to proprietary codes linked to both build# and VIN # in their main computer even IF you got lets say a full PCM 3.0 unit with everything on it (Nav, XM, Ipod, BT) on it from whatever source and put it in your 997.2...some functions would not work because they didn't match the cars as coded in Stutgart while others wouldn't work untill unlocked by the dealer on their computers. Porsche AG keeps the codes and you have to contact them to obtain them (if they are available/releasable). My dealer was talking to germany for a week until they asked eventually for my VIN code and the code from the back of my radio PCM 3.0 and were like sorry this is not supported for this car build we have/see.

So like I said you can get some things like BT/Ipod/NAV unlocked but it costs $$$ (FOR THE CODES which only Porsche has...the dealer doesn't have them locally). Good luck

Oh BTW my bluetooth works great!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes you can have bluetooth and media adapter added to the 997.2. It is a dealer installed option and they have to activate it thru the coding/software as well but it is possible with PCM 3.0 and also CDR-30 or whatever the new one which came out in the 2009 987 Boxster/Caymans.
Can you point me to the dealer who can "unlock" the CDR-30 or where I can buy the bluetooth bolt-on? Trust me, I'd really like to be wrong on this, but what you are saying has been shot down by multiple Porsche sources on my end.

I say this because I'm certain my dealer and other Porsche parts stores would love to take my money and sell me the required upgrade. The reality thus far has been they won't b/c they can't. So please help the forum out and post a source so we can do more than take your word for it. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Can you point me to the dealer who can "unlock" the CDR-30 or where I can buy the bluetooth bolt-on? Trust me, I'd really like to be wrong on this, but what you are saying has been shot down by multiple Porsche sources on my end.

I say this because I'm certain my dealer and other Porsche parts stores would love to take my money and sell me the required upgrade. The reality thus far has been they won't b/c they can't. So please help the forum out and post a source so we can do more than take your word for it. Thanks!
My 2 experiences have been at Porsche of Arlington who tried to do my original swap out on the PCM 3.0 in March 2010 I believe. Posted that info on the board here and I think 6sponline. Took my PCM 3.0 with XM, BT/Ipod w/out NAV and swapped in new OEM part ordered from Porsche AG in Germany. Part was supposed to come with an envelope with Nav codes but didn't so delay ensued trying to get them from germany to unlock the Nav. I had the car and BT worked, Ipod worked, NAV would even show me my longitude/latitude and that Sats were tracking BUT it would NOT unlock the MAP function without the proper codes. No matter what they did they also could NOT get XM codes or function added to the unit. They even optioned swapping out a PCM 3.0 with all functions (NAV/XM/BT/Ipod) from a car on the lot. No dice.

Porsche CDR-30 was able to add BT and Ipod; that was an option on the 2009 Boxster which I bought in Aug 2009 (before trading it for the Carrera in Jan 2010). Was told by the dealer it was a possible swap out into the CDR-30 and car originally only had BT from factory and Ipod was added prior to pickup/delivery on my request. Worked fine till I swapped it out for a Pioneer AVIC BT-9 unit..which worked great. Swapped back for OEM CDR-30 when traded car in 6 mo later. PCM 3.0 however is NOT a retrofit for CDR-30 I believe I was told when asked which is why I went with the aftermarket unit.

Second confirmation was current local dealer, Texas Porsche of San Antonio. Service mgmt there checked and same story as above. BT/Ipod retrofitable but you give up NAV with the PCM 3.0 swap out but they claim to have done a few and others BT/Ipod addons with good results.

Not trying to confuse but just reporting what I've seen/experienced and been told when researched. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i see, if it can be done, go for it. I have an app booked for next thu. Let you know what happens
Thanks
Cheers
Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Suncoast and talk to Ryan.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Porsche CDR-30 was able to add BT and Ipod; that was an option on the 2009 Boxster which I bought in Aug 2009 (before trading it for the Carrera in Jan 2010). Was told by the dealer it was a possible swap out into the CDR-30 and car originally only had BT from factory and Ipod was added prior to pickup/delivery on my request. Worked fine till I swapped it out for a Pioneer AVIC BT-9 unit..which worked great. Swapped back for OEM CDR-30 when traded car in 6 mo later. PCM 3.0 however is NOT a retrofit for CDR-30 I believe I was told when asked which is why I went with the aftermarket unit.

Not trying to confuse but just reporting what I've seen/experienced and been told when researched. Good luck!
While I'm a little lost in the detail, it sounds like you are saying that in order to get bluetooth for the CDR-30, you need to replace the whole unit. I believed I alluded to that above. In other words, for the CDR-30 you cannot simply add bluetooth as a bolt-on or via a "coding" change. The frustrating part is that if you have a PCM 3.0 unit sans bluetooth, you can buy an add-on module, but to do the same with CDR-30 unit you have to replace the whole thing - that is just silly.

Going through that kind of expense and trouble just for bluetooth, why not just replace the CDR-30 with PCM 3.0, a current available option; albeit for a hefty sum.

Also, the reason you were having trouble switching PCM's in/out of your car is that they are coded from the factory for you car's VIN. If the VIN does not match, the unit will not work. However, if you need replacement unit, they use your VIN when placing the order and the Factory codes the radio for it to work.

Originally Posted by TooSixy
Call Suncoast and talk to Ryan.
Thanks, but I did just that and I was informed it was not possible as a bolt-on.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I made a mistake of not ordering a Bluetooth option. Since then it became against the law to drive and use a handheld, so I am forced to use my Garmin as a bluetooth device. problem is I hate its sound quality.
Now I am considering installing the OEM bluetooth unit. Can you please tell me if you like its sound quality and ease of integration. Will I be able to dial from screen? Pros and cons? Is it worth the CAD$1400 installed?
Thanks in advance.

Stan
I ordered the bluetooth option with my 997.2 Targa. I love it. Picking up and dialing is easy enough, and I've asked the folks I talk to about the sound quality and they say it sounds fine, so I'm good with it.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

While I'm a little lost in the detail, it sounds like you are saying that in order to get bluetooth for the CDR-30, you need to replace the whole unit. I believed I alluded to that above. In other words, for the CDR-30 you cannot simply add bluetooth as a bolt-on or via a "coding" change. The frustrating part is that if you have a PCM 3.0 unit sans bluetooth, you can buy an add-on module, but to do the same with CDR-30 unit you have to replace the whole thing - that is just silly.

Going through that kind of expense and trouble just for bluetooth, why not just replace the CDR-30 with PCM 3.0, a current available option; albeit for a hefty sum.

Also, the reason you were having trouble switching PCM's in/out of your car is that they are coded from the factory for you car's VIN. If the VIN does not match, the unit will not work. However, if you need replacement unit, they use your VIN when placing the order and the Factory codes the radio for it to work.

Thanks, but I did just that and I was informed it was not possible as a bolt-on.
I think that's what I was saying. No as a bolt on...but okay for a swap out. It was late...I was tired...I was posting! LOL

Yes I am aware of the VIN PCM issue...which is plain silly if you ask me....if you had it on order you can have it again but if you forgot or changed your mind...opps! Its stupid....the units being hardcoded to specific build VINs...means there's no waay to upgrade or retrofit unless Porsche AG unlocks the dayum computer keys! Crazy...since the parts WILL talk to each other and work IF enabled and its just the fact that Porsche won't let em do that UNLESS you ordered everything all in one swoop at production time. No difference between one coded from factory and replacement one except the codes entered!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:57 PM
sjinto
Intermediate

From what i see, if it can be done, go for it. I have an app booked for next thu. Let you know what happens
Thanks
Cheers
Any update on this dude?... Were you able to get the add-on?
If so did you buy it from Suncoast?

Nit sure if the OP wilk reply - if anyone else know the answer pls let me know
Cheers
Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Yes, I had the dealer install the add-on. No, I did not get it from Suncoast. Yes, it's worth every penny.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
sjinto
Intermediate

Yes, I had the dealer install the add-on. No, I did not get it from Suncoast. Yes, it's worth every penny.
Interesting thanks for the update

Any particular reason you did not go via Suncoast?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Bluetooth opinions please