Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any drawings or schematics that show the IMS bearing? I would like to see this arrangement just for my own education as to how this is lubricated.

I am not trying to be picky, or point out errors, or denigrate someone's post, but just so everyone knows, there is no such thing as a high viscosity grease. There are greases that have a higher viscosity oil in them than others, but greases are classified by their penetration number and not by the viscosity of the oil component. The higher the NLGI number, the "stiffer" the grease is, the viscosity of the oil is rarely a factor in determining the consistency of a grease. Maybe that was what Palmbeacher was referring with respect to packing the IMS bearing.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Never mind, I have found some videos on the IMS bearing and failures.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Lubrecon

I am not trying to be picky, or point out errors, or denigrate someone's post, but just so everyone knows, there is no such thing as a high viscosity grease. Bla bla bla bla blaMaybe that was what Palmbeacher was referring with respect to packing the IMS bearing.
No, what I was referring to was the fact that grease is thicker than oil, and a bearing designed to be packed with grease will not ever be ideally lubricated by oil. I apologize for not putting it simplistically enough.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by gpjli2
See, the longer warm up time concerns me as does the lower average oil temperature. Longer warm up can translate into more cold start wear, and the oil is meant to operate within a range of temps at which it is most efficient. I am of two minds here. I know this may sound naieve, but if P wanted to run a different thermostat in this application why wouldn't they? They seem to have done it in different engines. I'll talk to Taso about this but he obviously was ok w it.
If you're using synthetics as you're supposed to in your engine then lower oil temps is not a real issue as synthetic oils perform better across a broader temperature range than do petroleum based oils. Additionally, at low temps the oil builds a stronger film that acutally lubricates better than it would at higher temperatures. Remember that the SAE grade is temperature based. That is an 0W-40 oil behaves like a 0W oil at low temperature and a 40W oil at higher temperatures.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Most wear occurs during startup and the synthetics simply move through a cold engine and pressurize all areas sooner than mineral oils. Lubrication is therefore superior during this phaze ( first seconds and during warmup which is genrally 5 to 15 minutes). After that the oil is at operating temp and viscosity is basically the same as a -40 mineral oil.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

A grease is used to lubricate parts, mainly bearings, because there is no way to get oil to the part efficiently. However, it is the oil in the grease, which is usually about 85% of the total material in grease, with the other 15% being the carrier, normally a soap of some sort, that does the lubricating and the soap is just there to hold the oil so it can lubricate the part.

The thickness of the grease does not enter into the lubrication function one way or another other than it must allow the part to move freely through it. However, when making a recommendation for a greased lubricated part, one must consider, speed, load, temperature, environment, and how the grease will be applied. Sealed bearings are difficult because the grease must be able to be churned without any oil separation occurring and bleeding past the seals. Too much grease and the action of the part going through the grease will increase the heat and lead to problems. The same can be said for the thickness(consistency) of the grease. Too thick and the part cannot operate without increasing the heat as the part rotates or moves through the grease, too thin and the grease(actually the oil) gets by the seals and you have a loss of lubrication. Grease lubrication is always a compromise to oil lubrication even though it is the oil in the grease that does the actual lubricating. However, without grease it would be impossible to deliver the oil necessary to provide the required lubrication.

Not trying to be picky again, but a bearing designed to be lubricated by grease is actually lubricated by the oil in the grease, and if mechanically possible would always be oil lubricated in place of a grease.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A grease is used to lubricate parts, mainly bearings, because there is no way to get oil to the part efficiently. However, it is the oil in the grease, which is usually about 85% of the total material in grease, with the other 15% being the carrier, normally a soap of some sort, that does the lubricating and the soap is just there to hold the oil so it can lubricate the part.

The thickness of the grease does not enter into the lubrication function one way or another other than it must allow the part to move freely through it. However, when making a recommendation for a greased lubricated part, one must consider, speed, load, temperature, environment, and how the grease will be applied. Sealed bearings are difficult because the grease must be able to be churned without any oil separation occurring and bleeding past the seals. Too much grease and the action of the part going through the grease will increase the heat and lead to problems. The same can be said for the thickness(consistency) of the grease. Too thick and the part cannot operate without increasing the heat as the part rotates or moves through the grease, too thin and the grease(actually the oil) gets by the seals and you have a loss of lubrication. Grease lubrication is always a compromise to oil lubrication even though it is the oil in the grease that does the actual lubricating. However, without grease it would be impossible to deliver the oil necessary to provide the required lubrication.

Not trying to be picky again, but a bearing designed to be lubricated by grease is actually lubricated by the oil in the grease, and if mechanically possible would always be oil lubricated in place of a grease.
LN makes a replacement bearing and spindle for the 996/997.1 and the Boxster equivalent motors. The bearing is ceramic and open from what I have seen. The spindle is more robust. The most cost effective time to do a replacement is when replacing the clutch since you are already there. Who wants to be the first on the block?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

You're not being picky, just missing (or ignoring, for the sake of pontificating) the simple fact that a bearing designed to be packed with grease has more room inside. If it is lubricated with oil, there will be some slop, and that could lead to premature failure.

LN makes a replacement bearing and spindle for the 996/997.1 and the Boxster equivalent motors. The bearing is ceramic and open from what I have seen. The spindle is more robust. The most cost effective time to do a replacement is when replacing the clutch since you are already there. Who wants to be the first on the block?
How long were you in that coma?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher

How long were you in that coma?
What is your point here? And why the hostility?

Last edited by gpjli2; 01-07-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Bearings, anti-friction, are not designed for for either grease or oil lubrication. Bearings are designed for conditions that have specific speed, load, and environmental conditions. A greased bearing does not have "more room inside" that an oiled bearing. The method of lubrication is a factor in the selection of a bearing only if the application for the bearing dictates it. Yes, some bearings are sealed for life with a grease as the lubricant, but the exact same bearing could be used in a oil(fluid) lubrication application as well if oil can be delivered to the bearing. Oil is always the preferred method for lubrication for anti- friction bearings. In fact, it is just the opposite as you state about grease and oil lubricated bearings. For instance, if the bearing life is calculated to be 1, with oil lubrication, that same bearing will have a life expectancy of something less than 1, somewhere between .75-.8 when grease lubricated.

Not ignoring or pontificating at all, just pointing out some misconceptions where the lubrication of bearings(anti-friction) is concerned in your posts. Sorry if you take exception with facts.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

We have gone far afield from a discussion about thermostats to the bearing used on the IMS. Perhaps starting a new thread on IMS failure would help Palmbeacher follow the conversation. As to the thermostat I remain unconvinced and am concerned that lowering operating temps to prevent a rare cylinder/piston failure may result in unnecessary wear. Note MichaelL (the only one to have this mod) indicating that it does take his car longer to reach normal running temps.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Bearings, anti-friction, are not designed for for either grease or oil lubrication. Bearings are designed for conditions that have specific speed, load, and environmental conditions. A greased bearing does not have "more room inside" that an oiled bearing. The method of lubrication is a factor in the selection of a bearing only if the application for the bearing dictates it. Yes, some bearings are sealed for life with a grease as the lubricant, but the exact same bearing could be used in a oil(fluid) lubrication application as well if oil can be delivered to the bearing. Oil is always the preferred method for lubrication for anti- friction bearings. In fact, it is just the opposite as you state about grease and oil lubricated bearings. For instance, if the bearing life is calculated to be 1, with oil lubrication, that same bearing will have a life expectancy of something less than 1, somewhere between .75-.8 when grease lubricated.

Not ignoring or pontificating at all, just pointing out some misconceptions where the lubrication of bearings(anti-friction) is concerned in your posts. Sorry if you take exception with facts.
Sadly, I do not have the computer savvy to post the TOTAL 911 (issue 69)article on IMS failure and bearing choice for you. If you have access you might seek it out. If that is not possible, pm me a mailing address and I'll copy it off for you. It is not a high point for Porsche engineering, I can tell you that. Gerry
Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. Note MichaelL (the only one to have this mod) indicating that it does take his car longer to reach normal running temps.
That may be true for 997's but if you do some searching you can easily find lots of people with 996's and Boxsters that have this mod.

Whether it is a benefit for them or not is unclear. So far as I know nobody has had a failure on an LN-style rebuilt motor, but that doesn't prove it is much more reliable (and there are so many changes that you can't isolate the effects of one from another).
Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome stuff Lubrecon. You need to just ignore the trolls, they are an unfortunate drawback to all internet forums.

One of the wives tales (which may or may not be true) is that hard-driven tracked cars tend to have fewer IMS failures. The theory is that this is because they get more oil splashed up to the bearing.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
That may be true for 997's but if you do some searching you can easily find lots of people with 996's and Boxsters that have this mod.

Whether it is a benefit for them or not is unclear. So far as I know nobody has had a failure on an LN-style rebuilt motor, but that doesn't prove it is much more reliable (and there are so many changes that you can't isolate the effects of one from another).
I hope LN does have the answer for both the cylinder and ims issues. They seem to be offering a quality service to Porsche owners worldwide.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Replacement