Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket audio systems more theft-prone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:25 PM
guney
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket audio systems more theft-prone?

I looked for existing threads on this topic in this forum but couldn't see any. The question is not necessarily specific to 997s, but I'll post it here anyway because that's what mine is.

In your experience/perception, are aftermarket audio head units more likely to invite break-ins?

I'm starting to think about having an aftermarket double-DIN head unit installed. These rarely come with detachable faceplates (at least, the best ones don't) and there don't seem to be any way of concealing them (fake faceplates, etc.) that are convincing enough. Since expensive head units are juicy targets for thieves, I'm naturally worried about increasing the likelihood of my car being broken into. It might be blasphemy, but I do leave mine parked on the street.

But then, the thought occurs to me that factory installed systems shouldn't be that much harder to steal after all. (Or are they?) Moreover, I see PCM units being sold online for prices north of $2000, whereas most "high-end" double-DIN aftermarket head units are not much above $700-800. (That's without navigation; but even with navigation they rarely touch $2000.) So, I wonder if a factory system shouldn't be just as attractive a theft target as an aftermarket head unit, if not more so.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't think that it's a matter of theft issue as it is more of its usability by a subsequent owner (in receipt of hot goods). Units that are custom and unique to a particular car (a high end car) would probably not be as attractive to the average thief. However, something that was designed to fit in a myriad of vehicles now have a much broader audience out there as potential customers.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM
guney
AutoX

Thanks. That seems to be the general wisdom in terms of the theft of factory audio systems versus aftermarket ones. I suppose it's not very different for Porsches then.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Simply put yes, aftermarket radios are universal in nature unlike factory head units and are easily installed using plastic mountings kits which are easy to brake and undo..factory radios are usually screwed into the center cluster framing and a bit harder to take out...

I used to install auto stereo systems when i was younger and dont think there is an advantage unless your an outright audiophile or looking for some unique feature like HD radio etc etc
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM
guney
AutoX

Originally Posted by aaks38
I used to install auto stereo systems when i was younger and dont think there is an advantage unless your an outright audiophile or looking for some unique feature like HD radio etc etc
I'm not looking for anything really specialized. Just iPod connectivity and Bluetooth pairing with my phone, for my 2006 C2. The thing is that aftermarket double-DIN head units provide much more reliable (in terms of bugs/incompatibilities) and user-friendly solutions for this compared to all the hacky ways in which products like Dension/moBridge/Nav-TV try to integrate with the factory systems, not to mention the fact that you get a ton of other perks in the process (a bigger screen, a touchscreen interface, advanced EQ features, album art display, faster navigation, etc.).

But I suppose safety against theft supersedes all other considerations, so I guess I'll get a Dension after all.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm having the Kenwood 7160 installed this week in my 2007 tt). Tried the Nav-TV, but it has a bug with some 2007 units (they can't figure it out).

I had another Kenwood touchscreen in my 2002 cab. Never had a problem with theft - I live in NJ. Enough said.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 458 Posts

I put an aftermarket in my 2009 Boxster and it worked fine. Was a Pioneer AVIC unit i think. Only issue is you do lose some functionality via the dash mounted display and also sports chrono functions but not much. However the biggest loss is in terms of resale value as often other buyers and some dealers consider it a hit to the overall value of the car and price it accordingly unless you have the OEM parts and can fully reverse your install (what I had my installer do). Just what I've seen/noticed.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You can always try my installation guide. I did it myself--and I'm not a rocket scientist nor neurosurgeon (well, no longer)...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ion-guide.html
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO :

+

>

Old 12-30-2010, 03:05 PM
guney
AutoX

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You can always try my installation guide. I did it myself--and I'm not a rocket scientist nor neurosurgeon (well, no longer)...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ion-guide.html
Your guide is excellent. Even I might try my hand at installing the Dension myself, starting with your guide (although it's not the Tooki). And even if I don't end up doing it myself, I still appreciate being able to see the details of the process. Many thanks for spending the time and effort to put it together.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket audio systems more theft-prone?