Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Alternator not charging New Battery, Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound like "...I told you so". I also have an extended warranty (different company) and it's a bit alarming that Fidelity was balking due to the "corrosion" description. No matter how much I read and re-read the fine print, I'm always concerned how I'll be left out by some technicality. Good for you popping for the dissection route.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know how many miles until the cable is fried? Is the same cabling in all early (2005) 997's? Don't seem to hear as much about it as we do the RMS/IMS.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 AM
boolala
Race Car

Mine has 66K and I think I may have to finally replace it.

I suspect that you don't hear as much about it because this problem tends to occur later in the car's life and not early on (or not at all) as with IMS issues.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM
McCulla
Pro

Anecdotally, I think it is actually quite a bit more common than IMS failures, maybe as common as RMS failures. I don't know if there is a way to predict it, it would seem that regular checks of the charging system output and awareness of the consistency of the start up sound/cranking speed are the best tools(?) My independent was able to check the service records on my car (bought from a dealer far, far away) and confirm that the cable on my car was changed before I got the car. He also confirmed that the started wiring harness was switched out at the same time, so mine must have failed at relatively low miles.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this repaired on my 2006 base.
It was over $1100, most of it for >7 hrs labor.
Grrr.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Since the CPO warranty on my 06 C2S cab expires next March, I took my car to a dealer this past week to check the alternator cables. I described my main problem as very slow cranking when the car is hot. I bought the car in January 2010, so didn't know whether or not the cables had been replaced, or if the battery had ever been replaced. (The battery was dead the day I test drove the car due to sitting on the showroom floor for a long time, but I have been able to keep it going with trickle charger periodically). The dealer did indeed replace the cable (have temporarily misplaced my invoice, but I think it was the one between the alternator and the starter). The starter now cranks at least twice as fast as it ever has since I got the car. In fact, it is almost startling. I didn't realize that my cold starts were slower than they should have been, and was primarily concerned about the hot starts.

Lucky for me, the cost was covered by the CPO warranty, which was put on the car in January 2010 at just under 15,000 miles. I now have 30,000 miles on the car.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 PM
997sxv
Intermediate

I just checked the alternator wire as its exposed just as it gets near the alternator connection. A new wire and harness was installed less than a year ago. There also appears to be a nearly 90 degree bend in the wire and it looks discolored ranging from gold to copper with a couple of threads light green. I can't get to the end of the wire myself so the car is going into the shop. Does anyone know if there are after market wire sleeves that would add insulation to the factory wire? If the factory alternator wires only last a year (2200 miles) there must be another alternative.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

997sxv,

Take it back to the dealer. Porsche parts are warrantied for 2 years. Have them replace it.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I just had the wiring harness replaced on my '07 C2S. Like Ken, the car would have difficulty cranking when hot. I replaced the battery six months ago -- I don't know if this problem lead to the battery failure, though. Fortunately, even though the car is out of warranty, Porsche covered the entire cost of the repair as a goodwill gesture. I know we all like to complain about dealer service, but sometimes they do the right thing.

Also, my Boxster loaner had a 6-speed manual and I'd forgotten how long the throws are on the factory shifter. I don't think I could go back to a non-SSK manual again.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I just had the wiring harness replaced on my '07 C2S. Like Ken, the car would have difficulty cranking when hot. I replaced the battery six months ago -- I don't know if this problem lead to the battery failure, though. Fortunately, even though the car is out of warranty, Porsche covered the entire cost of the repair as a goodwill gesture. I know we all like to complain about dealer service, but sometimes they do the right thing.

Also, my Boxster loaner had a 6-speed manual and I'd forgotten how long the throws are on the factory shifter. I don't think I could go back to a non-SSK manual again.
It could be that your battery was OK 6 months ago. I thought my problem was the battery, but after the cable replacement, my car has never cranked so fast. I think I'm on my original battery too (I purchased the car used from dealer in January 2010, and the battery was toast when I got it due to sitting on the lot for a couple of months. I nursed it back with trickle charger etc. and it cranks beautifully now that the problem cable has been replaced.)
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
It could be that your battery was OK 6 months ago. I thought my problem was the battery, but after the cable replacement, my car has never cranked so fast. I think I'm on my original battery too (I purchased the car used from dealer in January 2010, and the battery was toast when I got it due to sitting on the lot for a couple of months. I nursed it back with trickle charger etc. and it cranks beautifully now that the problem cable has been replaced.)
Oh yeah, starting the car is night and day better than before. Definitely one less worry on my mind. The car even drives better, although that could just be the effect of clearing all the codes when the battery was disconnected.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 AM
mdr2001
Instructor

Can anyone shed some light on the Year models affected or is it all 997.1's or point me to the actual TSB? I have seen a few posts that specifically mention early 2007 or older, while some refer to all 997.1's.

I have noticed a few instances where the crank is slow(nothing too bad yet). I volt tested the battery while the car is off - 12.53v constant and 14.51v -14.56v while running. The battery was replaced with a MTP-H7 on 2/10/2011 and car is driven daily about 28 miles(7 miles each way - 4 trips).

I have warranty till 3/2012 so I can easily schedule a visit to the dealer, but wanted to know if the 2008 C2S even has the older cable loom? Any help is appreciated.

Final recommendation request from my Houston rennlisters - which dealer do you recommend for service? I am in Clear Lake area, so North and Momentum are a wash - West Houston is a stretch (TIA).
Old 12-04-2011, 04:08 PM
dieselophile
Track Day

Suffered similar issues on my 2005 997.1 convertible. As a first time owner (bought it used) I initially blamed the lack of battery charge on inadequate driving (<6000 miles per year) with the car sitting idle for many days in between drives. A maintainer helped for ~ 18 months, possibly supplementing the lack of charge from the alternator due to cable issues, ultimately even that failed - most likely due to battery condition deterioration, or possible worsening cable/terminal resistance, or both.
I changed the battery (Duracell from Sam's) and had the cable changed as well, my mechanic "fished" the new cable using the old and saved me labor - only charged me 2 hrs worth, the old cable looked fine, the new cable's insulation appeared no thicker than the old, my mechanic suspects oxidation at the terminal as the real culprit. I dont really know exactly what the problem was - cable heat damage vs terminal oxidation, but the change of cable has worked , along with the new battery (its worked so far, its been many months since the repair!!!). I did call Porsche USA - they declined any help. I havent yet seen an actual TSB anywhere.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdr2001
Can anyone shed some light on the Year models affected or is it all 997.1's or point me to the actual TSB? I have seen a few posts that specifically mention early 2007 or older, while some refer to all 997.1's.

I have noticed a few instances where the crank is slow(nothing too bad yet). I volt tested the battery while the car is off - 12.53v constant and 14.51v -14.56v while running. The battery was replaced with a MTP-H7 on 2/10/2011 and car is driven daily about 28 miles(7 miles each way - 4 trips).

I have warranty till 3/2012 so I can easily schedule a visit to the dealer, but wanted to know if the 2008 C2S even has the older cable loom? Any help is appreciated.

Final recommendation request from my Houston rennlisters - which dealer do you recommend for service? I am in Clear Lake area, so North and Momentum are a wash - West Houston is a stretch (TIA).
My 08 C2S has the same problem. It struggles to start when the engine is hot. I've been so busy these past couple of months to even think about it, but then last weekend I made a quick stop at home to get something. When I came out the car refuse to start all together. Thank God I was at home. It would have been a real pain if I was out. When I got home later that night it (cold) started fine. I have an appointment with Porsche West Houston later this week. My car is still under the original warranty.

mdr2001, have you taken your car in yet? I will let you know what happens later this week.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 PM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of the battery cells was dead. They replaced under warranty.
The everything seems fine now.

Quick Reply: New Alternator not charging New Battery, Low Voltage